IGNORED

Squeaky sound coming from rear suspension

Toeman

Well I have worked out most of the issues with my new 08 RSV. My acceleration, cruise control and 5th gear issues all went away after I pulled the carbs and cleaned out all the jets and adjusted the mixture screws.

I am concerned about the noises coming from the rear suspension. I only notice them when I first get on the bike and sit on it and bounce it up and down a little. I have read on other forum posts that it might be due to the swing arm bearings needing to be re-packed. I hope not as that looks to be a real labor intensive repair.

i would certainly appreciate anyone's thoughts. Bike has 18K miles.

I'm sure others will chime in on this, but that's usually the rear shock. Mine does it sometimes when I first sit on it after it's been sitting, then goes away after I ride a bit.

I figure I'll eventually have to replace the shock, but I'll wait until it starts leaking oil.:guitarist 2:

I'm sure others will chime in on this, but that's usually the rear shock. Mine does it sometimes when I first sit on it after it's been sitting, then goes away after I ride a bit.

I figure I'll eventually have to replace the shock, but I'll wait until it starts leaking oil.:guitarist 2:

YES THE SHOCK :parrots:

Definitely the shock and NOT the bearings. I had my rear shock replaced one week before the end of the warranty period based on the shock making noise when getting on the bike (usually when it was "cold"). Creek or "groan"....it's your shock.

There are a four options available. OEM replacement, 2 different aftermarket (Hagon is one, don't remember the other one), or one of the members here has successfully reloaded 2nd Gen shocks. OEM and aftermarket will run you in the neighbourhood of $500.

If it were me that had that scooter, I would pull the shock, rebuild it and seeing as I would be soooo close to the swing arm, I would take that unit out and lube it and put in some grease zerks. Then I wouldn't have to worry about anything in that department for quite a while, or at my age maybe never no more.

If it were me that had that scooter, I would pull the shock, rebuild it and seeing as I would be soooo close to the swing arm, I would take that unit out and lube it and put in some grease zerks. Then I wouldn't have to worry about anything in that department for quite a while, or at my age maybe never no more.

I enjoy doing those not so pleasant tasks at this age knowing that this is more than likely this will be the last time in this life.:fingers-crossed-emo

I found on my 02 RSMV that it was the shock...boot. A little light grease and all is well. That was in 2005 and it is part of my annual maintenance since then. Yes I still have the original shock after sixteen years and 200+ K miles. dfitzbiz is the fellow who rebuilds these shocks for very low cost. I watched him do one at Freebird's MD and it is really neat. If you talk with him remind him he owes me a new pair of Tony Llama boots. :happy65:

:farmer:

Edited by Sylvester
misspell

Thanks to everyone for your excellent suggestions, glad to hear it's probably not the swing arm

Also, what is the best way to get the RSV up and supported so the tires can be replaced? Since there is no center stand I have wondered about the best way to do this. A cycle lift?

Thank you,

A common motorcycle jack works (I have a Craftsman) but you need to add some blocks of wood or hockey pucks for spacers. The best thing is to use is a lift adapter that attaches to the bottom of the bike for the jack to lift against. One of our members, CarbonOne, makes and sells them. I highly recommend going the extra step to purchase the support legs. With them you raise the bike, insert the legs, let the jack down so the weight is now on the legs and you can pull the jack completely out allowing easier access to work. After using the adapter I can’t believe I actually messed with the blocks as long as I did.