IGNORED

I found my RSV today

SilveradoCA

Today I found my bike. I had spent the weekend "in the city", in part to look at a few Ventures. Late on Saturday I checked the online classifieds to see a new ad, and made an appointment to take a look.

It didn't take me long to decide to buy this bike. It's a 2008, Black Cherry over Raven in colour, 64,000Km on the clock, and what seems to be every chrome farkle you could think of, right down to the bullet shaped fork ends and little baseball cap bills on the lights - even the rear signals. The bike is in excellent condition, with 1 minor small ding in the tank that I can live with, if one of those paintless dent repair magicians can't disappear it for me.

Bearings, brakes, suspension all seem tight, the rear shock is dry and has no signs of previous leakage, tires are good, and the bike was serviced yearly at a single dealer. It does have some fairly loud aftermarket pipes on it - Cobra or V&H I think - which I'll take some time to decide if I like enough to keep.

As it was Sunday afternoon and I had to be getting back, I gave the fellow a reasonable cash deposit, wrote up a receipt, and will arrange to get back down to pick it up this week. The 450Km ride home will be a good shakedown test.

I'm a happy man.

41829219854_f342f0ef0f_b.jpgIMG_0133

Love that color combo! Now, with all that farkle already added, guess you have nothing left to do except RIDE! Congrats! Oh ya, you could spend $12 ..... :mo money:

BTW, there's a few great members up your way ...

Thanks all. I'm awfully excited. I believe I got a great deal on her too.

About the only things I can think to add would be a mount for my phone, and a tach. I think it's purely criminal to sell a motorcycle without a tachometer. I always wished for one on my Road Star (despite the laughably low redline!)

SilvrT: I'd love to subscribe... is there a way to pay other than PayPal? I stopped using their service on principle quite a few years ago: I was a firearms instructor, RSO and amateur competitor for some time, and they have a policy that shuts out a lot of firearms related companies, so many of us boycotted out of solidarity. I'm surprised that notion doesn't have big traction in the US, honestly. It caused major problems for a couple of excellent specialty parts/accessory shops up here.

https://www.paypal.com/us/smarthelp/article/what-is-paypal%E2%80%99s-policy-on-transactions-that-involve-firearms-faq585

Edited by SilveradoCA

Have you ridden a venture before??

Just remember it isn't your Daddy's Harley! Let that puppy wind up in those RPM's. Honestly if I was you take it out and hit the rev limiter in first gear to see exactly what I mean. Then do the same thing at Wide Open Throttle!!!:12101:

Enjoy the bike! What a gorgeous color!!!

Have you ridden a venture before??

Just remember it isn't your Daddy's Harley! Let that puppy wind up in those RPM's. Honestly if I was you take it out and hit the rev limiter in first gear to see exactly what I mean. Then do the same thing at Wide Open Throttle!!!:12101:

Enjoy the bike! What a gorgeous color!!!

I rode a RSTD before I bought my RoadStar back in 2001. (I understand the RSV has bigger carbs and hotter cams.) Never ridden a Venture, but that motor is one of the things that made me want one way back then. I love how it sounds like a hopped up V8. The price kept me away, as I was still young enough to want to buy newnewnew. These days I'm happy to be poor enough to buy used and pay cash.

Something about this colour makes me want to drink a Cherry Coke. :beer:

Edited by SilveradoCA

I rode a RSTD before I bought my RoadStar back in 2001. (I understand the RSV has bigger carbs and hotter cams.) Never ridden a Venture, but that motor is one of the things that made me want one way back then. I love how it sounds like a hopped up V8. The price kept me away, as I was still young enough to want to buy newnewnew. These days I'm happy to be poor enough to buy used and pay cash.

@cowpuc has got a video on here somewhere of him rodding around on his V-Max. I need to turn that sound into an alarm clock!

Thanks all. I'm awfully excited. I believe I got a great deal on her too.

About the only things I can think to add would be a mount for my phone, and a tach. I think it's purely criminal to sell a motorcycle without a tachometer. I always wished for one on my Road Star (despite the laughably low redline!)

SilvrT: I'd love to subscribe... is there a way to pay other than PayPal? I stopped using their service on principle quite a few years ago: I was a firearms instructor, RSO and amateur competitor for some time, and they have a policy that shuts out a lot of firearms related companies, so many of us boycotted out of solidarity. I'm surprised that notion doesn't have big traction in the US, honestly. It caused major problems for a couple of excellent specialty parts/accessory shops up here.

https://www.paypal.com/us/smarthelp/article/what-is-paypal%E2%80%99s-policy-on-transactions-that-involve-firearms-faq585

"We don’t allow PayPal members to buy or sell any kind of firearm, whether it’s in working order or not. The same goes for certain firearm parts and ammunition."

I'm ok with this notion and am not surprised such a boycott failed to catch on, as it has no merit.

I call bull**** on "Major Problems" because there are so many other ways to pay like C.O.D. The military industrial complex is not short on suppliers of firearms, parts, supplies, ammo, etc, that accept cash/check/cc/net30/COD. With that said, I don't agree with chick-fil-a being closed on Sunday but that's their business and it won't stop me from going there other days.

Edited by AABBCC

"We don’t allow PayPal members to buy or sell any kind of firearm, whether it’s in working order or not. The same goes for certain firearm parts and ammunition."

I'm ok with this notion and am not surprised such a boycott hasn't caught on. Any why should it? I call bull**** on "Major Problems" because there are so many other ways to pay. The military industrial complex is not short on suppliers of firearms, parts, supplies, ammo, etc, that accept cash/check/cc/net30.

With that said, I don't agree with chick-fil-a being closed on Sunday but that's their business and it won't stop me from going there other days.

Not to derail the thread, but I fully support any and all businesses who choose or refuse to do business with anyone, for any reason.

I also support any individual choosing or refusing to do the same, for any reason. Liberty is cool that way.

This is the first time in... about 15 years that I've wanted to transact with a business and PayPal being the only method of settlement.

I'll figure out a way to get my dues to the site though, that's a for sure. This place is priceless.

cowpuc has got a video on here somewhere of him rodding around on his V-Max. I need to turn that sound into an alarm clock!

I rode a VMax, once. I think that bike wanted to kill me, so I limited myself to the ~120HP supersports of the day. You know, for safety.

You do not need a PayPal account to pay with a credit card or bank transfer. You just follow the PayPal link and when the PayPal page opens, you also have the option to pay without a PayPal account, they are just the credit card processor in that case.

The other way is to mail a check. PM me if you want to go that route. It has to be a money order or something though in US funds. It's not a matter of trust, but the last time my bank wouldn't process a Canadian check for whatever reason. I couldn't believe it.

Today I found my bike. I had spent the weekend "in the city", in part to look at a few Ventures. Late on Saturday I checked the online classifieds to see a new ad, and made an appointment to take a look.

It didn't take me long to decide to buy this bike. It's a 2008, Black Cherry over Raven in colour, 64,000Km on the clock, and what seems to be every chrome farkle you could think of, right down to the bullet shaped fork ends and little baseball cap bills on the lights - even the rear signals. The bike is in excellent condition, with 1 minor small ding in the tank that I can live with, if one of those paintless dent repair magicians can't disappear it for me.

Bearings, brakes, suspension all seem tight, the rear shock is dry and has no signs of previous leakage, tires are good, and the bike was serviced yearly at a single dealer. It does have some fairly loud aftermarket pipes on it - Cobra or V&H I think - which I'll take some time to decide if I like enough to keep.

As it was Sunday afternoon and I had to be getting back, I gave the fellow a reasonable cash deposit, wrote up a receipt, and will arrange to get back down to pick it up this week. The 450Km ride home will be a good shakedown test.

I'm a happy man.

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1725/41829219854_f342f0ef0f_b.jpgIMG_0133

Love that color. Just Beautiful. Enjoy!

How's this for good karma: I messaged the seller to let him know that I'm flying back down to pick up the bike on Thursday morning. He says that works with his schedule, and asks what time I will be there. I tell him, and he replies "I'll be waiting at the airport, Arrivals 8, when your flight arrives."

Apologies to 1970's Honda Motor Corp., but you really meet THE nicest people on a Venture.

Apologies to 1970's Honda Motor Corp., but you really meet THE nicest people on a Venture.

Yeah, but we all already know that. And we didn't have to spend millions on advertising either.

Very nice scoot. My favorite year and color. Hint: I have the same year and color.;)

I bet yours is faster than mine though with all those wind resistant chrome addons though.

Enjoy!