IGNORED

First ad-Venture will be, 1000+ miles: advice?

FutureVentures

Erich,

I own an 1100 and an RSV, as do now you. I purchased my RSV down in LA (lower Alabama - Ozark) just about one year ago. Total miles to home base 1650. I took my time and rode over 4.5 days. Do your self a couple of favors listed below. The information you have rec'd so far is spot on, except the dude from the 4K in 5 days. Take your time lad, it is a new machine to you the rider.

* Arrange to visit first with a local dealer to have the bike looked over. At a minimum, request use of their lift so you can do as thorough job as possible. Bring a tire pressure gage with you to the purchase, so you check the tires before you pull of the curb. I did this and at the same time I had the machines warrantee switched over to my name. Your machine is a little older so the warrantee may not be in play. Get the bike looked at, just the same. Every time you get a bike, you only get one shot at it. Do it wright

* Take the bike to a local open venue so you can put her through some paces, before heading home. The Venture tends to be somewhat head heavy at first. Do not be lazy with her. Posture and arm position to the bars is important. A backrest is a very good option and helps with riding foward in the saddle. Once you develop the feel, you will be able to do barlocked u-turns. Ride Like a Pro is a great tool to help you understand the dynamics and techniques of the ride - actual trial and error will prove to be priceless. You will also have that big old grin on yo face.

* Make sure instead of all the MP3/DVD/IPOD/CD/ blah blah blah, you have a good sound route selected which includes any out to deal with unaticipated traffic/road/conditions or construction. (A GPS is an option to consider.) I ran into a ton of it coming out of Alabama. Handled it well, and kept it moving. I am not trying to be a party stomper but, priorities first - bells and whistles later.

* Very important coupled with the above; try to also layout along your route selected the list of VR assistance persons. Their numbers etc... I forget who suggested this, but good heads up on that one. Honda GL users have a book published each year for the daisy chain of folks out there who can assist, put you up etc... Take advantage of your resources. Gas ups plan on approx each 150 ~ 180 miles. Projected with all running top notch 38 ~ 42 MPG. Clock it and see. I think you have a 4.5 with 1.5 reserve. Check on that.

* The obvious applies: Dry gear, clothing changes, personal sundries, your EZ - Pass (if applicable)- It worked for me, tank bag for map and accessable funds for tolls if EZ is not avail (I used one: Marsee-worked out great), good glass cleaner / rainx, always:you tipo riding gear/gloves/armor jacket of choice/leather overpants for that hard ride, if you intend to go for it.

There is a lot to consider. Most of us have for you. Pick and choose wisely. Congratulations on the new addition. Godspeed on your ad-Venture. Good luck and enjoy.

Regards,

Ricardo Bustamante

Sgt. @ Arms - STAR Touring & Riding

Chapter 278 - Long Island, N.Y.

Erich,

* Take the bike to a local open venue so you can put her through some paces, before heading home. The Venture tends to be somewhat head heavy at first. Do not be lazy with her. Posture and arm position to the bars is important. A backrest is a very good option and helps with riding foward in the saddle. Once you develop the feel, you will be able to do barlocked u-turns. Ride Like a Pro is a great tool to help you understand the dynamics and techniques of the ride - actual trial and error will prove to be priceless. You will also have that big old grin on yo face.

* Make sure instead of all the MP3/DVD/IPOD/CD/ blah blah blah, you have a good sound route selected which includes any out to deal with unaticipated traffic/road/conditions or construction. (A GPS is an option to consider.) I ran into a ton of it coming out of Alabama. Handled it well, and kept it moving. I am not trying to be a party stomper but, priorities first - bells and whistles later.

* Very important coupled with the above; try to also layout along your route selected the list of VR assistance persons. Their numbers etc... I forget who suggested this, but good heads up on that one. Honda GL users have a book published each year for the daisy chain of folks out there who can assist, put you up etc... Take advantage of your resources. Gas ups plan on approx each 150 ~ 180 miles. Projected with all running top notch 38 ~ 42 MPG. Clock it and see. I think you have a 4.5 with 1.5 reserve. Check on that.

* The obvious applies: Dry gear, clothing changes, personal sundries, your EZ - Pass (if applicable)- It worked for me, tank bag for map and accessable funds for tolls if EZ is not avail (I used one: Marsee-worked out great), good glass cleaner / rainx, always:you tipo riding gear/gloves/armor jacket of choice/leather overpants for that hard ride, if you intend to go for it.

Cut a few lines from your quote for brevity but, great advice all.

I am still toying with a GPS, I do love gadgets and this is one that can save time/frustration. I already have a mini mp3 so, it's coming along but won't mess with it the first hour or two.

The bike does have a backrest, oversized at that.

Great idea about the VR assistance, will do, hope I don't need it!

I ordered Ride Like a Pro V Sun. night and begged em to get it here by Wed. night. I'm comfortable in my riding but, would love to learn a bit more before jumping up a couple hundred pounds and cc's.

I'm going to ride as far as I feel comfortable on the first day, no more. Weather forecast is showing rain so, that WILL encourage me to end the day at 500 miles, max.

Rain-x, keep forgetting to put that on my list. It's there now.

As for getting the bike inspected before leaving, there just isn't time and I bought a one-way ticket. I'm a trusting guy, as the seller's a Venturerider member. Like "Earl", I believe in Karma.

I assume by "Head heavy" you mean, cause of the fairing and such. I did rent an Electra-glide from Miami-Key West, with passenger and back. So I have "some" big bike experience, though I realize the RSV is a bit, weightier.

Sorry, long response, I type fast.

If it's the original windshield do NOT use Rain-X on it. It will make the shield haze up. Get some Plexus.

Ok, list being adjusted........again. Great advice.

Now, will I have to go to a NAPA or similar to find this or, Wally Marty?

It's the original shield which, I plan to trim upon arrival in IL.

I ride in full gear. Full face helmet, aromored jacket, overpants and riding boots. I would suggest the same. If I skip anything, it's the overpants. Sometimes I'll just ride in jeans.

If you're going to do 1K, you will need more water than a cupholder will hold. Trust me. It's easy to get a camelback tube over your chin bar. You really haven't lived until you ride highway 50 in Nevada in July and dump powder down your pants. AHHHHHHH@ Nice.:cool10:

SilvrT - For me, a day is pre-dawn to dusk. In the summer (and going west) it's a pretty long day. Probably 5AM to 9PM. Maybe later. I try to average 60MPH, but it's a pretty demanding pace. You have to really nail the gas stops to get it. I've done at least 6 1K days, and they are not too bad. The most I've done is two in a row, and I was beat. Not the best way to ride, but it can be done safely with some planning. On my trips, I plan 500 to 600 mile days, and those are nice. I'll be hitting Alaska next year, with two 1K days in the ride. I'll be hitting Nova Scotia this year, with one 1K day in the ride.

LD riding is not for everyone, but it gets me to what I want to see. Living in Kansas, I've seen plenty of the midwest. Again, be safe and enjoy your new bike!:322:

Erich,

Mark (Gibvel) is absolutely wright. I do have the can of plexus myself. Thank you Mark. That is the same stuff our fighter pilots use on their face shields and canopies of the fighter jets.

As far as being trusting; I do know what you mean. I purchased my maching from a "Full Bird Colnel" 30 yrs. US Army. The bike was hummin when I first saw it. Garage kept and all. Less than a year old and only 5K on it. Brand new set of Commanders. Man what a day it was. My smile was so big, I did not feel the rain coming down. Good luck Brother Erich. Give us all a holla when you get home. Talk back at you then.

Regards,

Ricardo

You can pick up Plexus or something similar at most cycle shops. Honda makes one that is similar, but I prefer Plexus. You just need to make sure you have a soft cotton cloth. If your cloth has something other than cotton, it will tend to leave a bit of haze on the windshild. Just remember, with Plexus, when you are wiping the windshield, you are also polishing it.

RandyA

I ride in full gear. Full face helmet, aromored jacket, overpants and riding boots. I would suggest the same. If I skip anything, it's the overpants. Sometimes I'll just ride in jeans.

If you're going to do 1K, you will need more water than a cupholder will hold. Trust me. It's easy to get a camelback tube over your chin bar. You really haven't lived until you ride highway 50 in Nevada in July and dump powder down your pants. AHHHHHHH@ Nice.:cool10:

SilvrT - For me, a day is pre-dawn to dusk. In the summer (and going west) it's a pretty long day. Probably 5AM to 9PM. Maybe later. I try to average 60MPH, but it's a pretty demanding pace. You have to really nail the gas stops to get it. I've done at least 6 1K days, and they are not too bad. The most I've done is two in a row, and I was beat. Not the best way to ride, but it can be done safely with some planning. On my trips, I plan 500 to 600 mile days, and those are nice. I'll be hitting Alaska next year, with two 1K days in the ride. I'll be hitting Nova Scotia this year, with one 1K day in the ride.

LD riding is not for everyone, but it gets me to what I want to see. Living in Kansas, I've seen plenty of the midwest. Again, be safe and enjoy your new bike!:322:

JeffC,

You are my kind of rider. Get to where you need to go as quickly as possible so you can spend more time riding in the area you went to see.

Proper planning and discipline make a 1000 mile day fairly easy. My trouble is finding a willing riding partner.

Arcadia Nat'l Park and California this year, 4 Corners next year, Alaska in '10.

RR

IB # 33089

When I brought my bike home last year I did the same thing. I flew down to Atlanta (milk run airlines!) where the seller picked me up at the airport and took me home.

We went out for supper had a nice visit and changed the oil in the hot humid Atlanta heat! It was great!

Left early the next morning (Fri). Met RSVAngel along the way and he took me to some back roads...great riding! Met Jerry(Boo) near his place and we did lunch/supper. I did get storm stayed for a few hours in Minneapolis after staying the night with Linda and Ron (kantornado).

All told I drove 1800 miles and got home Monday. 1700 miles of that was in the rain! Man...what a great trip.....I got to know my baby real well during that. Would I do that again...nope....it seems sometimes that we are rushed to the destination and have forgotten why we ride....its the journey. While the ride was great, I am well aware that I missed some awful nice side roads and sights that I should have seen.

Enjoy the trip home....if you are in an area you wont be again for awhile...and have the time....stop and smell the roses. Ride safe and put the cb on 19 if you can stand trucker chatter. They do give tips on highway stuff ahead.

I totally agree and WISH, I could take my time, enjoy the scenery....more.

"If" the weather cooperates, I will enjoy as much as I can.

Hey, I have an idea....maybe lame, but oh well.

Can I email this list when/where I stop for each gas station, along my route?

Won't have time to login via my blackberry but, I could simply send an email, kinda like a crude GPS tracking device...

Lemme know.

Lata,

Hmm, hoping you're mis-remembering. Sure looks plush to me. Just the same, I did keep my Butt Buffer from my VSTAR 1100, which did not have a comfy seat.

JeffC- Thanks! That is one thorough reply, much appreciated. TOTALLY agree with the under armour, used it last year on a 500 mile day, big difference.

Will have to try the butt powder, what the heck.

Have been using earplugs on long rides too, another big help, less fatigue.

Not sure how I'll do the camelback, have to think about that one. Or, maybe a cupholder and a drink with a straw(full face helmet).

Have rain gear but, need to pick up some good coverall gloves. A buddy used oversize dishwashing gloves, they work great, albeit ugly.

Thanks again folks,

Your mileage may vary but my keister didn't like the seat after about 100 miles. Just had it reworked but she's torn apart and haven't had a chance to test it. Some like it, others don't.

Cheap cup holder; tear the bottom out of a foam coozie. It will slip over your gas cap and a 20 oz bottle of water will go in it. It suctions to the tank and won't tip over. As it sweats it can actually become hard to get it off the tank!

Can't wait for you to do this!! So exciting to get a new ride. Wish I could be motorin' along with you. If you can keep us posted along the way!

Have a good time and a safe ride!!

Actually, I was thinking that would be kinda fun to do. Post updates as I head north.

Route is essentially, from Lafayette LA to Grayslake IL:

I-10 East

I-55 North

I-57 North

I-94 North, sideroads home.

Does anyone know, is it possible to simply email in a Post? Cause navigating these screens via Blackberry is too time consuming/difficult.

But, I could easily email in my location at each gas/rest stop. Hmm, too bad there isn't a GPS tracking ability!

Hope you get this before you leave but just a little suggestion. When you get to Baton Rouge take I12 east instead of I10. The two split on the east side of Baton Rouge. This will save you some time. I12 crosses I55 in Hammond. Watch the traffic in Baton Rouge. I think they gather all the crazies in La and put them there. You will probably run into some construction in the BR area but shouldn't be a problem .

I55 in La is rough; sometimes the left lane is smoother. When you get to Jackson Ms again WATCH out for traffic. That is, FOR SURE, where all the crazies are for Ms. I55 from Jackson to Memphis is pretty nice. I'm not familiar with I57...don't know where you'll pick it up but if you're going north on I55 out of Memphis into Arkansas the road gets really rough after the Jonesboro (Hwy 63) exit.

Can't give you anymore advice than has already been posted, but if you have the time, don't push yourself. 500 mile days is comfortable. I've ridden from Biloxi to Ok City straight through; that's 13-14 hours, 815 miles. By the time I got there I was absolutely exhausted. Have fun and good luck!!

Might want to stop and fill up with Gas!!:rotfl:

The Ride-On is a good idea and only takes minutes to put in there.

Gas? Oh, details, details...........Yeah, If I can stop at a motorcycle shop on the way, I'm getting some Ride On, fer sure.

So, wish me luck boarding the plane tomorrow with my heated vest.....wonder what they'll think all the wires and small batteries are for?

I'll plan to start a new thread Friday morning and if I have a signal, I'll send an update at every gas stop.

Just finished watching Ride Like a Pro V. Wow, learned a lot, can't wait to get back on a bike, it's been two weeks!!!

Cheers.

After working with tires as a part time job for 9+ years, I don't recomend it. It tends to cause metal wheels to rust and aluminum/mag wheels to corrode. It also can change the rubber composition to the point that patches just fall off no matter what you try. That means you have to tube it or replace it. If you ever do have to use it, have the tire repaired ASAP. The tire and wheel need to be rinsed with hot water to help cut the chemicals.

As far as the ride and miles, I agree with the rest. Don't push it. When I traded in my 89 for my 07, we rode 425 miles to get it on Sat. and rode home on Sun. (1 year ago April 28th) That was about the perfect ride. I have done 750 miles from Spearfish, SD to Manhattan, KS a couple of times. This was for Sturgis, bike week. Usually hotter in August as we all know. That was done only so I could get back for work. I don't recomend it at all if you can avoid it. Also for the hotter weather, last year going through Texas, Louisiana, Missippi, etc. we found the bandana around the neck and pouring water on it sure helps keep you cool!

Overall, just enjoy the ride and be safe!!