IGNORED

2008 VentureRider Rally concerns

Guest ReinyRooster

Folks....

I wanted to bring this back up to the top and perhaps shed a little light on this. The Ontario group has worked very hard to get this rally going, I know exactly what they are going through as I have done this. There doesn't seem to be a lot of interest in this for whatever reason. Perhaps it's the location and some folks are apprehensive of going into another country, it's not rocket science, and Canada ins't Siberia.

Perhaps it's the money aspect of it, you feel that $90 per person is a lot to ask. I can assure you that the Rally in Colorado was right on par with the money # that Rooster has put up. We have a central location with all the amenities, a place to have a central breakfast, and a place to come back to in the evenings. This includes a T shirt (colorado price was 10 to 13 dollars ea.) Breakfast (Colorado was $5 per person at the Moose Lodge) and the ending supper That was $12 in Colorado and not worth that much money. The Moose Lodge was $600 to rent for the 4 days and I pulled my hair out asking for donations due to me not having a registration fee up front.

I will say something here at the cost of ticking some folks off and hopefully getting them off the fence. There is a good possibility that this event could be cancelled due to lack of interest or scaled way back. To me that is a huge slap in the face for all the Ontario members that have busted their butts to make this happen. It's a given that I am going to be there with Lonna, but Rooster needs solid #'s and in a few days.

If you have concerns or issues COME ON AND SPEAK YOUR MIND nobody knows what everyone else is thinking. Nobody is going to persecute anyone else for stating concerns about this rally. The time to act is right now, we are at the 11th hour with the registration and I know that Rooster has some of his own money wrapped up in this.

I have gone into Canada hundreds of times and I always end up back across the border. Please dont let this rally not happen because of fear of crossing a border. If anyone wants to talk about anything pertaining to this in private, my PM box is always on.

Lets get behind our Canadaian members and make this happen, there are many great roads in Ontario and I know that everyone that crosses the border will have a vacation to remember. :happy34:

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As family issues are preventing me from attending the Ontario rally, I really don't think I have any right to say anything. But that has never stopped me before.

So...... What Squidly said above is absolutely correct. The registration fee is very reasonable, in my opinion, and as stated, right in line with the Colorado costs.

I suspect that many of you have had the "pleasure" of trying to put together events of this magnitude in the past. So, you know what the Ontario members are going through. For those that have not, believe me it can be a very frustration, and seemingly thankless task.

I feel doubly bad about missing the Ontario Rally as I was probably the biggest pusher to get ReinyRooster to have the Ontario members host the even. And now I can't even show for it.

Anyway, IF there is any way you folks can make this one, I heartily encourage you to go. You won't regret it.

Even though I left Ontario many years ago (seeking fame and fortune don't you know), there really is a lot to see and do up there. And with the exception of Brad T, the folks are great people.

love to make the trip. Ft Collins was Great!! Having 2300 miles one way doesn't bother me. However the time involved is more than my pocketbook can endure. Reiny, How many Canadains are attending? Maybe this site is someplace to visit when the snow sets in. I know that is not the case for all of you.Thank you and the people helping you for providing the opportunity even if I can't attend

Registration paid for my brother and I. Cabin booked.......Ferry booked....yep...I have a 6hr ferry ride to get off this beautiful Island we live on.

Looking forward to meeting a bunch of fine people from this site !!!!

Check (err money order) for registration went out this morning and i have 5 days booked at the motel.Let the games begin and the good times roll.I think Keith R and his brother from NFLD will be travelling with us from N.B. if they get off the boat in time lol.Looking forward to meeting a lot of good people.:cool10:

Bucky Thompson

Even though I left Ontario many years ago (seeking fame and fortune don't you know), there really is a lot to see and do up there. And with the exception of Brad T, the folks are great people.

The way I see it is that if you never left, there would be two exceptions. So I will take that as a compliment. :thumbsup2:

Oh by the way are you still seeking, or did you find what you were looking for.

BRad

I don't see my post from last thread. that said my wife and I are coming, cheque in the mail (I know you have heard that one before).... we can only do the first 2 nights, we booked a cabin,....... look for "GRUMPY BEAR" on the back luggage rack..... see you there.

HAL B. should get my order form ..... cheers

I just got the final word from work and unfortunately the word is NO. We have 8 guys on my PD out on long term disability. One is retiring in June and one guy just handed in his resignation. Losing ten people in a 50 people Police Department just before our busiest time is going to be crippling. I'm glad they haven't started cancelling vacations or Maintenance Day would be in jeopardy for us too. Overtime will be crazy this year and getting any more time off is not going to be happening.

I'm really disappointed because I love that area and was planning on visiting Niagara Falls again for the first time since we got engaged there 6 years ago.

Sorry to all those who have worked so hard at it, but we WILL be coming up there eventually.

I just got the final word from work and unfortunately the word is NO.

I'm really disappointed because I love that area and was planning on visiting Niagara Falls again for the first time since we got engaged there 6 years ago.

Sorry to all those who have worked so hard at it, but we WILL be coming up there eventually.

Vin Too bad you can't make it. We are only 90 minutes away from Niagara Falls so if you have a long weekend give us a shout and come on up. We can gather a few locals and go for a ride, and stop at the falls along the way.

Brad

Sorry I cant come. I retire on June 30 and was gonna leave the next day. My wife and I had reservations since the first week and we had to cancel them. We even went and got passports a few months ago.

However my mother who lives with us is 80 years old and was diagnosed with terminal pancreatic cancer a couple of months ago, so now we have to be close to home. Not only do we help care for her but if something happens we need to be here.

I have been to Canada 3 times and I love it. We went to Ft. Collins and Canada is closer so we were definatly coming there, just can't now. Lyle

I am a tentative at this time, it is still slightly possible that my leave will be canceled. We are short handed at this time, for drivers to support all the courses, that go on here. Will update, once I get a better idea, of the situation.

• 4 weeks later...

Like my buddy (White-haired :backinmyday:) Owl, I will not be able to attend either as I have have not yet become independantly wealthy like him. Limited vacation time, even more limited vacation funds & I have a family priority. It's been over a month since the last post to this thread, so maybe this is irrelevant anyway. But then, so are most of my opinions.:stirthepot:

I made a post wondering about this rally sometime ago when the snow was still flying - which is generally the time I start to plan my summer rides. No one was chatting it up & information was hard to find on the site. And when I did find finally it, the info was thin. So was the response to my post. I know how hard it is to put these things together and how much fun it is to get together with most of you at these things. However, for a rally to be successful, you have to generate interest and make it easy for people to find the info.

But, like the wise Old Owl, I do have to wonder - why there are not more of the Canadian members planning on attending? :confused24: I kinda thought this rally was FOR the Canadian mambers. As I recall, we didn't have a big a Canadian contingent at the Eureka Springs rally in 2006. And there have gotten to be more and more of these get-togethers - which forces those of us not as wealthy as The Great Owl to pick and choose which ones we can attend.

I think sometimes we go overboard with the T-shirts and pins and food and stuff. The fun part for me is riding to one of these things, riding around a new area & seeing new sites, swapping lies and putting faces with screen names and then riding home. Do we really need dinner reservations and pre-registration packets? That wa a big turn off for me. I don't even make motel reservations when I travel on the bike, 'cuz I never know exactly what route I'll take, or what the weather will be or where I'll feel like stopping. And what is I get to the rally and I piss everyone off? I may have to leave early or in the middle of the night. Personally - I'd be happy with a big fire, a cold beer and some roasted hot dogs at night. I don't need a planned breakfast & lunch - just point me in the direction of a town with a restaurant and I'll figure out the rest on my own. There were no T's or pins or planned events at Potato Creek, but we all had a blast anyway. Point being - don't loose site of the purpose of getting together in the first place. Maybe we are trying too hard to cater to everyone?

Squidley is right about most of points. But I don't think low attendance should be taken as a slap in the face by the American members to our Canadian brothers - as much as it is a knee to the groin by thier own fellow Canadians. :rotf:

That being said, I'll go back into hiding now.:whistling:

Edited by Red1

Thank you, Red Simpson (Red One) for having the balls on coming forward and being honest.

I think your post says it all. No harm is attended here. We love Canada and the folks are the best. There are reasons why this rally did not take off. Honest good feedback is a way to fine out what went wrong. If we would have decided to attend this rally it would have been the most expensive of all and we attend a lot of rallies. I also get the feeling like I'm being shamed into attending. Behind close doors and password was not cool. Never seen that before. I thought thats what PM's are for.

I honestly don't understand anybody having an issue with the area set up for the planners to communicate. What is the big deal? It is no different that them doing it via email or PM but a lot easier. Anytime there is a group of people planning such a thing, they need an easy way to communicate. Having an area on the forum to do so is the easiest way. I never realized that anybody would get so upset over it. It is no more secret than sending emails and/or PMs just a lot more convenient way to do so. Geeezzz.....I honestly think that this is a ridiculous complaint but if it's that big a deal to people, I'll make sure not to make that mistake again. This entire organization is based upon transparency and trust. The private area is just a place to work out details without it getting buried in a thousand different responses that would simply slow down and bury the responses. Nothing top secret or sinister.

I honestly don't understand anybody having an issue with the area set up for the planners to communicate. What is the big deal? It is no different that them doing it via email or PM but a lot easier. Anytime there is a group of people planning such a thing, they need an easy way to communicate. Having an area on the forum to do so is the easiest way. I never realized that anybody would get so upset over it. It is no more secret than sending emails and/or PMs just a lot more convenient way to do so. Geeezzz.....I honestly think that this is a ridiculous complaint but if it's that big a deal to people, I'll make sure not to make that mistake again. This entire organization is based upon transparency and trust. The private area is just a place to work out details without it getting buried in a thousand different responses that would simply slow down and bury the responses. Nothing top secret or sinister.

Don, I don't think it is a big deal or an issue and I don't know of anybody that is upset. It's only feedback, It's just my two cents worth. This is a great sight and appreciate all the hard work you do keeping this sight going. But the post got my interest and thinking I would like to read on this subject . When clicking onto the post a password was needed. That never happen on this sight before.

We won't be able to attend this year. The grandkids are coming to live with us for the summer and their momma is having another one as I write this. Wife is still in school and cannot miss too many days as its near the end and testing will begin in the middle of July and then her externship will start right after that.

Don,

I didn't have a problem with the "planning area", hell, I didn't even know it required a password. It makes sense - too many cooks and all that. But I don't think that was/is the problem here. I just found a distinct lack of info & talk available on the rally. A big part of having a sucessful get-together is to promote it and create interest. There was the big chili cook off at Potato Creek. People were excited to ride down to the Tail of the Dragon rally and to go to Eureka Springs. These were fun and interesting places to ride. I missed the one in Ft. Collins & I have not been able to attend the Venture West rides, but enough of the members out west seem to have attended & had a good time - they've done it 4 times. That is what seems to be missing here - no chatter, no talking it up & no local interest. I wasn't even sure it was still on when I posted my "Where's the info?" thread early this year - I could not find anyone talking about it. You need a reason to ride someplace - something new to see, something you can't do at home. There were no threads that I saw on the site about things to do, roads to ride, unique attractions, people that were getting together to ride there, etc.

As recall back a few years, some of our north of the border members were complaining that all of the rallies were being held way far south of them (and the eastern members that everything was too far west). And it was explained that this was a loose organization of self determined folks, that all of the rallies were put together by members and if you want a rally north of the border - put one together. Which they did and I salute them for it. Now ............here's your rally - where are all the members that wanted one up there? I hope they wake up & show up and have a great time. It's put up or shut up time.

And in the word of Forrest Gump - That's all I have to say about that.

Like my buddy (White-haired :backinmyday:) Owl, I will not be able to attend either as I have have not yet become independantly wealthy like him. Limited vacation time, even more limited vacation funds & I have a family priority. It's been over a month since the last post to this thread, so maybe this is irrelevant anyway. But then, so are most of my opinions.:stirthepot:

I made a post wondering about this rally sometime ago when the snow was still flying - which is generally the time I start to plan my summer rides. No one was chatting it up & information was hard to find on the site. And when I did find finally it, the info was thin. So was the response to my post. I know how hard it is to put these things together and how much fun it is to get together with most of you at these things. However, for a rally to be successful, you have to generate interest and make it easy for people to find the info.

But, like the wise Old Owl, I do have to wonder - why there are not more of the Canadian members planning on attending? :confused24: I kinda thought this rally was FOR the Canadian mambers. As I recall, we didn't have a big a Canadian contingent at the Eureka Springs rally in 2006. And there have gotten to be more and more of these get-togethers - which forces those of us not as wealthy as The Great Owl to pick and choose which ones we can attend.

I think sometimes we go overboard with the T-shirts and pins and food and stuff. The fun part for me is riding to one of these things, riding around a new area & seeing new sites, swapping lies and putting faces with screen names and then riding home. Do we really need dinner reservations and pre-registration packets? That wa a big turn off for me. I don't even make motel reservations when I travel on the bike, 'cuz I never know exactly what route I'll take, or what the weather will be or where I'll feel like stopping. And what is I get to the rally and I piss everyone off? I may have to leave early or in the middle of the night. Personally - I'd be happy with a big fire, a cold beer and some roasted hot dogs at night. I don't need a planned breakfast & lunch - just point me in the direction of a town with a restaurant and I'll figure out the rest on my own. There were no T's or pins or planned events at Potato Creek, but we all had a blast anyway. Point being - don't loose site of the purpose of getting together in the first place. Maybe we are trying too hard to cater to everyone?

Squidley is right about most of points. But I don't think low attendance should be taken as a slap in the face by the American members to our Canadian brothers - as much as it is a knee to the groin by thier own fellow Canadians. :rotf:

That being said, I'll go back into hiding now.:whistling:

Red, if I hadnt buried my dad 8 years ago I would swear you was him:cool10: Cant wait to meet you! Craig

Craig,

Red, if I hadnt buried my dad 8 years ago I would swear you was him

Sorry about the loss of your dad, but he must have been a great guy! At least, that's the way I choose to interpret this. :cool10:

Cant wait to meet you!

My dad always said - be careful what you wish for! :rotf:

I have been to Canada numerous times and loved going there, unfortunately Charlene and I will not be able to attend for several reasons, money and time being the top 2..........I appreciate the Canadians for hosting this event and hope they have a good turnout. I for one know what it takes to put these things together, you cant always make everyone happy, but no one can, I found out that registrations and pre-registrations are good, but you always get those that decide to show at the last minute. Keep the faith, like someone told me..........If you build it, they will come.

Craig,

Sorry about the loss of your dad, but he must have been a great guy! At least, that's the way I choose to interpret this. :cool10:

My dad always said - be careful what you wish for! :rotf:

I thought he was a pretty good guy, he was definetly a character:cool10: I've heard I should be careful what I wish for, but I have a feeling we would hit it off:whistling: Craig

Let me just interject something here....This rally isn't over, it hasn't even started. So lets save some of the thoughts that it's doomed for later. This rally WILL be one of the best ones we have had to date. Anyone that shows up in Kitchener will not leave disappointed, sometimes things can get over complicated. That being said lets all show up that can and have a great time....I know I'm not gonna miss it unless I'm DEAD!