IGNORED

What exactly happens when you switch to Sport Mode? Does anyone know?

I wouldn't even bet against my old stock 1340 Evo HD if comparing performance against one of the 3rd Gens.. As shown in the vid below,,, they just dont dance... I know,,, I supposedly didn't have the bike in 'Sport Mode" for this run but,, in all fairness,, sport mode doesnt change any performance parameters,, it only affects throttle percentage to feed (been talking to a Yam tech :big-grin-emoticon:) which is no different than adding a 1/4 turn throttle to a cable drive.

*****Invites are open to record and post a rebuttal video :stickpoke:,, until that happens,, the vid below is benchmark IMHO...

You hung out around redline far to long so you were past the power curve of the V-Twin, you don't have to redline these engines to get the power like you do with your overhead cam V-4 design that redlines much higher and makes its power in the higher RPM range.

In your video you are showing a perfect case of rider error in not being familiar with the power curve of this engine.

I can state from first hand ownership experience that this V-Twin will get you up to speed in no time and it pulls hard all the way.

Pressing the mode button remaps the throttle system and sorry to say but it is not like the old quarter turn throttle trick, all the quarter turn trick did was shorten up how far you had to twist the throttle while remapping the throttle may sound similar there is more going on.

I doubt any Yamaha engineer is going to reveal exactly what they did to the general public and if you are talking about the crew going around doing demo ride with the tractor trailer I highly doubt they are sending an engineer around with the demo ride crew. If you have been talking to a dealer tech take anything they say with a grain of salt, hell I knew next to nothing about the Star Venture and I knew more than anyone at the dealership selling them.

What I have read on the mode button is that sport mode and tour mode are two different mappings, and since no one has done a dyno run in both modes heck they don't even reveal which mode they used for the dyno runs we really don't know if the sport mapping provide a little more power or not.

The could very well produce the same power but due to how they are mapped sport mode is just more lively than tour mode which was designed to be more relaxed, so there is more going on then just a quarter turn throttle deal.

You hung out around redline far to long so you were past the power curve of the V-Twin, you don't have to redline these engines to get the power like you do with your overhead cam V-4 design that redlines much higher and makes its power in the higher RPM range.

In your video you are showing a perfect case of rider error in not being familiar with the power curve of this engine.

I can state from first hand ownership experience that this V-Twin will get you up to speed in no time and it pulls hard all the way.

Pressing the mode button remaps the throttle system and sorry to say but it is not like the old quarter turn throttle trick, all the quarter turn trick did was shorten up how far you had to twist the throttle while remapping the throttle may sound similar there is more going on.

I doubt any Yamaha engineer is going to reveal exactly what they did to the general public and if you are talking about the crew going around doing demo ride with the tractor trailer I highly doubt they are sending an engineer around with the demo ride crew. If you have been talking to a dealer tech take anything they say with a grain of salt, hell I knew next to nothing about the Star Venture and I knew more than anyone at the dealership selling them.

What I have read on the mode button is that sport mode and tour mode are two different mappings, and since no one has done a dyno run in both modes heck they don't even reveal which mode they used for the dyno runs we really don't know if the sport mapping provide a little more power or not.

The could very well produce the same power but due to how they are mapped sport mode is just more lively than tour mode which was designed to be more relaxed, so there is more going on then just a quarter turn throttle deal.

It's a simple rule,, until another :stickpoke: video gets posted,,,,, mine stands alone as benchmark.. :happy34:

Its really getting old. Everything you said was factual, and yet despite repeated having pointed out those facts with video evidence THEY supplied, they still want to use words like “supposedly”. Kinda hard to take that stance when video evidence PROVES everything we keep saying.

Its really getting old. Everything you said was factual, and yet despite repeated having pointed out those facts with video evidence THEY supplied, they still want to use words like “supposedly”. Kinda hard to take that stance when video evidence PROVES everything we keep saying.

and the link to the video evidence that shows something different than my little clip is where?

It's a simple rule,, until another :stickpoke: video gets posted,,,,, mine stands alone as benchmark.. :happy34:

Yes, a “benchmark” in how NOT to properly get the performances out of the SVTC. Maybe someone should ride a 1st Gen while shifting all low rpms (completely out of its power band) and claim that video as an example of performance. NO, you’d be saying “their shifting it all wrong, you need to rev it higher” and you’d be correct. I understand old folks get stuck in their ways and old habits die hard. Have the grace to admit you were riding it wrong AND NOT in Sport Mode.

Yes, a “benchmark” in how NOT to properly get the performances out of the SVTC. Maybe someone should ride a 1st Gen while shifting all low rpms (completely out of its power band) and claim that video as an example of performance. NO, you’d be saying “their shifting it all wrong, you need to rev it higher” and you’d be correct. I understand old folks get stuck in their ways and old habits die hard. Have the grace to admit you were riding it wrong AND NOT in Sport Mode.

Hey I resemble that remark!!!!!!!:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

I understand old folks get stuck in their ways and old habits die hard. Have the grace to admit you were riding it wrong AND NOT in Sport Mode.

The man to which you are speaking has easily ridden several Ventures in excess of 1.2 Million Miles. He has posted a video of a new Venture and offered all those who don't like his video to post their own "better" version. We don't see any new version videos yet... just folks with words taking their shot over his bow.

Think about it.

I'm confused. It was easy to understand 1st gen vs 2nd gen. But now I gotta process 1 2 and 3? I'm glad to see the new blood come in. Keeps the camp from becoming a nursing home!

On the other hand just like when a new preacher comes in to a church and recruits a bunch of new members there's the "We don't do it that way here" feeling and I do hope the LOVE that has existed through all these years between 1st & 2nd geners will continue into all the future generations. They're coming in midstream here and aren't aware of the tongue n check "war" we amuse ourselves with. Heck we've watched and anticipated this baby long before it was in the womb.

All you new folks with the 2018 baby, please just understand we (and Puc) just want to hold the baby... then tell you ......

But we do have one ironclad rule on this forum....

:worthless:

Only in this case it's video preferably at the drag strip!

We understand you didn't buy this bike for that purpose but eventually someone will do it. I've seen suburbans and vans at the strip. Who will be the first?

I wouldn't even bet against my old stock 1340 Evo HD if comparing performance against one of the 3rd Gens.. As shown in the vid below,,, they just dont dance... I know,,, I supposedly didn't have the bike in 'Sport Mode" for this run but,, in all fairness,, sport mode doesnt change any performance parameters,, it only affects throttle percentage to feed (been talking to a Yam tech :big-grin-emoticon:) which is no different than adding a 1/4 turn throttle to a cable drive.

*****Invites are open to record and post a rebuttal video :stickpoke:,, until that happens,, the vid below is benchmark IMHO...

Okay, just exactly what are you complaining about cowpuc?

You never get below 3000 RPM until you are up to speed and in one part you did not drop below 4000 RPM, it has been pointed out you rode the bike like it was a high RPM engine like your V-4, and yet you continue to try and make the claim the new Venture has no power i.e. your comment about the new Venture "they just don't dance".

Now for the really confusing part, in your own video at the 13/14 second mark while accelerating up the on ramp you clearly said "she seems pretty sporty man".

Go back and look at your own video, you kept yourself within a narrow 750 RPM range before redline for much of that acceleration run. Redline for this engine is 4750 RPM and in the beginning of the video you kept the engine at 4000 RPM and above before you finally shifted into a gear that dropped the RPM's down below 3000 RPM.

Maybe it would be better to just say it was a demo ride and I am not familiar with the new Venture's V-Twin and its power band. Again I have to point out you did say in the video at the 13 to 14 second mark "she seems pretty sporty man", now that sure does not sound like you were disappointed with the power at that point even though you were outside of the power band during your acceleration up the on ramp.

The man to which you are speaking has easily ridden several Ventures in excess of 1.2 Million Miles. He has posted a video of a new Venture and offered all those who don't like his video to post their own "better" version. We don't see any new version videos yet... just folks with words taking their shot over his bow.

Think about it.

See post 41 as I break down cowpuc's own video he posted that refutes his claim the new Venture "they just don't dance" when his own words at the 13 to 14 second mark in his own video he clearly says "she seems pretty sporty man".

Not only was cowpuc trying to rev the engine like a high RPM V-4 he was outside the power band for all of the acceleration run up the on ramp by staying at 4000 RPM and above for most of it.

You can't rev this engine the same manner you rev your V-4 engines, they are two different beasts. Cowpuc was on a short demo ride that is controlled and he was/is unfamiliar with how this V-Twin engine runs, yet his own words in the video he posted would indicate he was pretty impressed with the Ventures acceleration even though he was outside the power band and treating it like he was still on his old V-4 bike.

The number of miles cowpuc has put on a bike has nothing to do with his inexperience on how to ride this Venture.

We all have to adjust when we get on a new bike.

See post 41 as I break down cowpuc's own video he posted that refutes his claim the new Venture "they just don't dance" when his own words at the 13 to 14 second mark in his own video he clearly says "she seems pretty sporty man".

Not only was cowpuc trying to rev the engine like a high RPM V-4 he was outside the power band for all of the acceleration run up the on ramp by staying at 4000 RPM and above for most of it.

You can't rev this engine the same manner you rev your V-4 engines, they are two different beasts. Cowpuc was on a short demo ride that is controlled and he was/is unfamiliar with how this V-Twin engine runs, yet his own words in the video he posted would indicate he was pretty impressed with the Ventures acceleration even though he was outside the power band and treating it like he was still on his old V-4 bike.

The number of miles cowpuc has put on a bike has nothing to do with his inexperience on how to ride this Venture.

We all have to adjust when we get on a new bike.

American,, I think you (and possibly others) may be misjudging my video clip and the context in it concerning exactly what I was trying to accomplish there.. That video, where I ran the SVTC up to its rev limiter thru the gears, was not about trying to see how fast it was (as in a drag race), what that was about was I was trying tx mo demonstrate the new bikes top speed in each gear for comparison to the my 1st Gen. If you listen carefully, I clearly state what appears to be the top speed of each gear..

I totally agree with the concept that if a person wanted to get max light to light or 1/4 mile performance from this new bike, because of its narrow window of top torque and lower hp - probably short shifting would produce the better times BUT,, and this is always a problem IMHO when dealing with high torque - low R - low hp motors when looking at elapsed times - you have to shift a lot more then the higher HP, faster revving bikes which utilize a much wider rpm range and therefore less shifting is needed.. Again,, I am FAR from being any kind of an expert in any of this stuff as compared to folks mentioned earlier but I do know from racing "pipey" early model 2 stroke mx bikes that in order to be win races/be competitive with short power zones a person has to almost use your tranny as a throttle and that can/does make getting performance from such a designed machine a little tricky.

Concerning some of the name calling/personal attacks here... I am the first one to admit (this actually makes me chuckle) that Tip and I are TOTALY amatures when it comes to motorcycle touring stuff.. We ride for fun and certainly NOT for professional status and are farrrr from anything even close to someone like "Long Haul Paul" who I totally :bowdown::bowdown: to when it comes to touring experience and motorcycling in general.. I dont know Long Haul personally but I do know that there are others within our club that I also :bowdown::bowdown: too both in ride experience (one of those, a member here by the name of @VentureFar, actually did an extended test ride and authored and excellent article about the SVTC found here: https://ultimatemotorcycling.com/2018/03/01/iron-butt-comparison-2018-yamaha-star-venture-vs-personalized-2007-royal-star-venture/ ) and also as gear heads,,, bottom line - I TOTALLY agree with the fact that I am truly an AMATURE!! But,, even us amatures should have the freedom to speak our opinions (as long as we are not personally attacking someone as a person and getting into name calling - that is just plain wrong and should not be tolerated - especially on a pay site IMHO).

I find the contreversy over this new Venture and what it is and what it isn't to be amazing.. I recently found another website that is not a controlled pay site like ours that appears to be going HAY WIRE over exactly what we are discussing here. Ironically, it isnt even a Yamaha site :confused24: but, get this,, its a defunct Polaris site :confused24: called "The VOG"..

There is thread on that site = found here: http://www.thevog.net/threads/yamaha-star-venture-trans-continental-is-a-torque-monster.144689/

where apparently one of the Vog members (named "REDVIC" = perhaps meaning that at one time or another - he/she owned a Red Victory?) stepped out and grabbed a new Venture and then made a post about their new Venture being a "Torque Monster" to which some of the other VOG members stepped up and took issue to. At this time, the thread has 59 PAGES of heated discussion about the reality of the new Ventures stats and there are some (IMHO) pretty sharp guys in there (one named "Hard Core" especially) who really do know their stuff concerning what the new bike is and what it isnt.. It is a very good read that, even the Moderators over there have refused to shut down because of its relevance even with all the name calling and misleading information (there seems to be a lot of a person trying to justify his purchase, possibly even still trying to convince himself that he made the right choice thru convincing others that he did:confused24:). My own personal point in bringing this up is to demonstrate to our readers here at VR that we are not the only ones debating the subject..

First let me state I have ridden a first gen Venture, a friend of mine owned one that he bought brand new so when I rode it, it was not a many years old worn out bike, it was low mileage almost new. Nothing stood out on that ride regarding that first gen Venture, it was a nice bike but really no better than my 1989 GoldWing GL1500 that I had back then.

The Victory Owners Group (VOG), I am a member of that forum still and RedVic is me, I posted up the review because Victory is no more and there are owners over there who will be looking for a new bike soon. I don't have to justify my purchase of this 2018 Yamaha Star Venture to anyone and I sure as hell was not trying to justify my purchase of it on the VOG.

The other poster you are calling "Hard Core" is "Half_Crazy", he is well known to go into any thread and start in with his stock bikes don't have any power crap and you can't pass on a stock bike and you have to put in cams an intake an exhaust and a tuner to be happy because you can't be happy with a stock bike. When I traded in my 2013 Victory Cross Country Tour for the 2016 Harley Davidson Ultra Limited Low a couple of members asked me to do a comparison review of the two bikes so I did and Half_Crazy had his normal hissy fit and carried on about stock bikes have no power blah blah blah. I got accused of trying to justify my purchase of the Harley by the same little group over there then as well. Half_Crazy by the way works for a bike shop that installs cams, exhaust, intakes and tuners and dyno's them so he has a vested interest in trying to talk everyone into having that work done, it helps his job security. Anyone who says they are happy with their stock bike gets the full treatment from Half_Crazy about how they don't know what they are talking about and they don't know what they are missing. Been there and done that to many times with Half_Crazy at the VOG.

You are upset because Yamaha did not put a V-4 in the new Star Venture and yes it is a Venture. I have seen some of your reviews, like the one where you briefly talk about the "sure Park" with the guy from Yamaha and you praised it and said it was neat then in your own comment section in your youtube video someone comments about not needing a reverse and you state if you can't back up a bike on your own you will quite riding pretty much dissing the sure park system.

In this other video you state "She seems pretty sporty man" and now you are passing it off as a top speed test in each gear, come on cowpuc, we get it you don't like the new Star Venture that is why you keep posting that it is not selling, but where I live they are hard to find in a dealer. You keep posting that auction of a Venture and I have posted that auction is a red flag to me as it is not posted under the dealers name but under the name of someone else who sells other things. I also posted a review where that dealer did the old bait and switch on someone who was going to buy a motorcycle from them but the price changed over night from $9,999 to $11,000 dollars. Red Flags all over that dealer.

I have no need to justify my purchase of this 2018 Star Venture and as for power this bike is not lacking for power in any way. You can make all the youtube videos you want to about it and try to pass it off as a gutless bike but I do own the bike as do several others and I have yet to hear an actual owner complain about the power.

This 2018 Star Venture is the best touring bike on the market right now bar none, it has storage capacity, it has the latest infotainment system, it has power, it has great handling, it has awesome low speed and parking lot speed handling, it has not only reverse but forward as well with its sure park system, the only bike on the market that offers both reverse and forward and this bike is the most comfortable bike I have ever ridden.

Your just stirring the pot cowpuc, Yamaha did not build the bike you wanted i.e. with the liquid cooled V-4, and you and the others who wanted that V-4 have all said pretty much the same thing that you think the Star Venture is over priced and you would not spend that much money for one anyway, so even if Yamaha had put in a liquid cooled V-4 none of you would have stepped up and purchased one anyway by your own statements about the price of the Star Venture.

Those of use who have stepped up and purchased this 2018 Star Venture are having the time of our lives and we are tickled pink with this awesome bike.

It is easy to see from my past ownership of touring motorcycles I have not been brand loyal, 1989 Honda GoldWing GL1500, 2013 Victory Cross Country Tour, 2016 Harley Davidson Ultra Limited Low and now this 2018 Yamaha Star Venture.

One more point about this Half_Crazy guy, I installed a high flow air filter, D&D exhaust, Dobeck AFR+ Gen 4 tuner and the bike put down 92 HP and 107 lbs feet of torque on a dyno, Half_Crazy criticized those number because I did not have cams installed in that bike but a Victory with cams was only putting out 115 lbs feet of torque, only 8 lbs feet of torque more than my combination, so I saved about $2,000 dollars by not installing cams on that Victory and came within 8 lbs feet of torque of the Victory's with cams in them. But according to Half_Crazy my Victory was a dog and had no power. My Victory was far from being a dog.

Half_Crazy likes to push HP is the be all end all. But a good combination of torque makes for one hell of a bike as this Star Venture proves. Remember this as Half_Crazy does not think it's true but Enzo Ferrari, Carroll Shelby and even Jay Leno have said on may occasions "Horsepower sells cars, but Torque wins races".

I have this new Yamaha Star Venture and it has been on a dyno in magazine tests and has put out from 109 lbs feet of torque to 112 lbs feet of torque if you go by the second number this stock Yamaha Star Venture is within 3 lbs feet of torque of a Victory with cams in it. That is pretty impressive for a stock bike off the showroom floor.

As for passenger comfort my wife says this Star Venture is by far the most comfortable bike we have owned yet, the suspension is very well sorted out right from the factory with you only having to set the damping preload for the rear shock. No cowpuc we are not trying to justify our purchase of the 2018 Star Venture, the bike is more than capable of convincing people on its own that it is a worthy product in the touring market.

So stir away cowpuc, we 2018 Star Venture owners are happy with our purchase. I really wanted a new GoldWing Tour but after seeing the suspension issues and some other issues with that bike I am glad I went ahead and looked at and bought a Yamaha Star Venture Transcontinental over the GoldWing Tour, I think I got the better bike now that both have been out for a little while.

Edited by American

Here's my whole take on this... which may be a little surprising from a 3rd gen owner, but I will explain...

I DO find my new Venture to be a little underpowered... now allow me to explain. I am coming from a 2006 Roadliner (mostly the same motor) which stock put out somewhere between 82 - 91 hp (depending on who's specs you read) and 104 - 117 ft/lbs torque (again depending on who's specs you read). Mine has aftermarket exhaust, intake, and a pc III and was dynoed at 98 hp and 124 ft/lbs torque. The new Venture at 75 hp and110 ft/lbs of torque stock feels a bit lacking in comparison... it just doesn't have the "throw you off the back" acceleration that the roadliner has. Right now...

And the "right now" thing is the reason I'm not concerned... I know what this motor is capable of with only minor modifications. It's still new and there aren't any aftermarket performance parts yet, but they will come. It took about a year for a good number of the performance parts for the Roadliner to hit the market. So for those inclined to make their new Venture even faster, there will be lots of opportunity. I still have the Roadliner so I don't have any need to make the Venture faster or accelerate harder. Besides, if I really wanted to go fast, I'd have spent 70% less and bought a 600cc sport bike :-) I wanted to ride long distance in comfort, which my Roadliner can't do and this new Venture fills that role PERFECTLY for me.