IGNORED

What exactly happens when you switch to Sport Mode? Does anyone know?

Having been reminded now from several sources that the reason the SVTC Demo bikes I have ridden were so putzy when compared to my little 74 inch V-4 Ventures is because I was in "Tour Mode" instead of "Sport Mode".. After reading a particular comment about this innocent mistake on my behalf it suddenly occurred to me that I have, to date,, not read any great detail about what actually happens internally,, mechanically,,, electronically when the new Venture is put in "Sport Mode" that causes the huge increase in performance.. I know it is completely possible for all computer parameters to be changed within a given ECM so instantly things like rev limiters, valve - fuel and ignition timing can be altered and even servo operated "V-Boost" type systems located in intake tracks or exhaust tracks (in my R1 this is called an Ex-Up valve) could probably be affected.. Also,,, I know from riding other bikes that it is common for the "ride by wire" non-cabled throttle system to be affected by this type of selectable electronic control but that is nothing more then what we used to do by putting a 1/4 turn throttle on a dirt bike which did nothing to change anything internally as far as HP/Torque gains so I am sure there is wayyyy more going on with that little button than this...

Anyway,,, any of you gearheads out there got a clue??? Anyone even understand the question??:big-grin-emoticon:

Having been reminded now from several sources that the reason the SVTC Demo bikes I have ridden were so putzy when compared to my little 74 inch V-4 Ventures is because I was in "Tour Mode" instead of "Sport Mode".. After reading a particular comment about this innocent mistake on my behalf it suddenly occurred to me that I have, to date,, not read any great detail about what actually happens internally,, mechanically,,, electronically when the new Venture is put in "Sport Mode" that causes the huge increase in performance.. I know it is completely possible for all computer parameters to be changed within a given ECM so instantly things like rev limiters, valve - fuel and ignition timing can be altered and even servo operated "V-Boost" type systems located in intake tracks or exhaust tracks (in my R1 this is called an Ex-Up valve) could probably be affected.. Also,,, I know from riding other bikes that it is common for the "ride by wire" non-cabled throttle system to be affected by this type of selectable electronic control but that is nothing more then what we used to do by putting a 1/4 turn throttle on a dirt bike which did nothing to change anything internally as far as HP/Torque gains so I am sure there is wayyyy more going on with that little button than this...

Anyway,,, any of you gearheads out there got a clue??? Anyone even understand the question??:big-grin-emoticon:

Two things happens...fuel mapping, fuel regulation, the same as in large Commercial diesel trucks...where the injection racks get (what the trucker's call) squeezed, and advanced ignition timing, which also speaks to using a 91 octane fuel. The Sport mode, takes all electronic 'averaging' away. What is left...is the full response, true engine output, unfettered by performance mapping. In Tour mode...the engine performance gets derated, and 'squeezed'. In Sport...just the engine...no electronic regulated squeezing of that big hunk of 113 cubic inches, and pistons the size of large coffee can lids...

In horse-speak, Tour mode is keeping the mount 'below the bit'. Sport mode...has the horse's mouth 'above the bit'...and all h*ll can break loose! :) Ask any equestrian regarding those two phrases....the second one, you'll see a cringe....in Sport Mode...Charlotte is DEFINITELY 'above the bit'...lol!

Edited by YamahaParExcellence

Two things happens...fuel mapping, fuel regulation, the same as in large Commercial diesel trucks...

Oh dear God please don't go there...

...where the injection racks get (what the trucker's call) squeezed, and advanced ignition timing,..

You did... You just did.

... which also speaks to using a 91 octane fuel.

But... But... But... DIESELS don't use 91 Octane gas or have an Ignition system to have Ignition Timing (Fuel Advance yes. Ignition timing no.) Only Air-cooled motorcycles & snotty Bimmers use 91 Octane to keep their heads from being a live grenade.

The Sport mode, takes all electronic 'averaging' away. What is left...is the full response, true engine output, unfettered by performance mapping. In Tour mode...the engine performance gets derated, and 'squeezed'. In Sport...just the engine...no electronic regulated squeezing of that big hunk of 113 cubic inches, and pistons the size of large coffee can lids...

According to Yamaha, the engine is not de-rated or up-rated by either mode. Only throttle response is changed on the low and mid-range portion.

tour.jpg

In horse-speak, Tour mode is keeping the mount 'below the bit'. Sport mode...has the horse's mouth 'above the bit'...and all h*ll can break loose! :) Ask any equestrian regarding those two phrases....the second one, you'll see a cringe....in Sport Mode...Charlotte is DEFINITELY 'above the bit'...lol!

You will not let me give you a break.

bit.jpg

That is what I want to ride... a run-away! NO thanks! I'll take a VMax please.

Edited by Du-Rron

You did... You just did.

But... But... But... DIESELS don't use 91 Octane gas or have an Ignition system to have Ignition Timing (Fuel Advance yes. Ignition timing no.) Only Air-cooled motorcycles & snotty Bimmers use 91 Octane to keep their heads from being a live grenade.

According to Yamaha, the engine is not de-rated or up-rated by either mode. Only throttle response is changed on the low and mid-range portion.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=112626

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=112627

So what do you think Duey? Are we talking nothing more than than a wireless 1/4 turn throttle as such and what the new owners of the 113 are feeling in performance gains equate to nothing other than a twitchyness that can come as of the result of such?

I am eagerly waiting now to redo a test ride on the one and cant wait to see if this is wrong.. I am hoping to see a huge change in rev limits and power delivery increases - we'll figure it out,,, one way or the other...

The drive modes are just change the throttle response, my Harley had the ability to do that, I had a Vance & Hines FP3 tuner on the bike and you could adjust the throttle response but Vance & Hines had a warning to be careful as if you selected for example 1 to 1 throttle response, that is the throttle body reacted on a scale of one to one with your right grip as you turned it could make the bike to responsive until and if you could get used to it.

I think the FP3 gave you five choices to pick from starting with stock and then each one made throttle response quicker until you got to the 1 to 1 ratio.

I bet Yamaha's system is doing the same thing except instead of having to program it you just push a button.

I find the Touring mode suits me just fine.

So what do you think Duey? Are we talking nothing more than than a wireless 1/4 turn throttle as such and what the new owners of the 113 are feeling in performance gains equate to nothing other than a twitchyness that can come as of the result of such?

I am eagerly waiting now to redo a test ride on the one and cant wait to see if this is wrong.. I am hoping to see a huge change in rev limits and power delivery increases - we'll figure it out,,, one way or the other...

To answer your question it is yes and no, yes in that you get a quicker throttle response and no in that a quarter turn adaptor used on a throttle cable can not come close to matching what they have done with the electronic switch.

In other words this in not your old quarter turn adaptor you have used on old cable operated throttles.

To answer your question it is yes and no, yes in that you get a quicker throttle response and no in that a quarter turn adaptor used on a throttle cable can not come close to matching what they have done with the electronic switch.

In other words this in not your old quarter turn adaptor you have used on old cable operated throttles.

I am still not quite sure how just because your adjusting the throttle sensitivity electronically instead of the old fashioned way like we used to do it with a quarter turn throttle can equate to this type of difference though (just seems like there would have to be wayyy more to Sport Mode than what I am hearing/reading here):

Folks...there are days...and there ARE days...

---------------------------------------------------------------

After coming back from my Yamaha Star Venture Trans Continental 'Sport Touring' very early morning ride in the Hills of the Hockley Valley, Ontario, Canada...and while cutting my front lawn this afternoon....,

I started breaking out in a totally obvious laughing uproar....whereby my neighbors must have thought I had FINALLY lost it..."quick Henry, I'm watching our neighbor through the curtains...and he has LOST IT, totally! Come and look at this...call 911!"

There I was folks, pushing the dang lawnmower...and laughing at all get out....and I myself was the BRUNT of the fit of laughter!!!! :)

There must have been some Head Office Yamaha Canada and USA Engineering Supervisors and their reporting colleagues that were chinking bottles of cold beer,...passing around my forum post of when a 964 pound motorcycle outshines the owner's dedicated Sport Bike in throwing the SVTC into left and right leaning S-Backs...and not only coming back to tell the sordid tale...but in fact, was eye popping, veins bulging, raving about the experience!

They must have been having the times of their lives....and I can just hear one or more of them saying something to this effect;

"Hey DUMMY...why do you THINK we called the 'other' mode; SPORT MODE? Huh?"

I just had the best laugh on myself....for they engineered the SVTC to handle even the most full-on SPORT mode riding, should the bike be called upon to do that by the Touring single or couple. Mountain S-Backs, country lanes, yep...they engineered that riding capability into the very core of the frame and steering geometry. You know...like some of them are muttering after taking a sip of beer..." Like no ****, Sherlock!" LOLOL!

I now have the SVTC Sports Rider T-shirt...and will now run Charlotte as for what I bought her for...serious non goofing around, Grand Touring for two. CowFace (my ZR7S) has gotten a reprieve, for all the great Sport riding, he has already offered me...BUT...if I EVER hear him start to brag to Charlotte, while both resting in the garage....that he can do THIS...and he can do THAT...I'm going to pause...wait...and listen for her to totally open up on him...and say "yeah?....well Joe and I tore it right up, CowButt...in the Hockley Valley, on May 16th, 2018 at 6:00 am...and oh..uh...WHERE WERE YOU IN ALL OF THAT?!?" There is nothing like the disdain of a woman! He had better listen!

Cheers n' beers,

Joe

or from the comments I have read about the new Venture doing wheelies in Sport Mode....

I think I may still be a little confused about what exactly Sport Mode really does/is...

Wow what a fun morning. Can you tell that it is raining here???

Dirt tamer.. throttle tamer... Electric Throttle Control... I think that "Tour Mode" would be what I would call "Standard Throttle". I think that "Sport Mode" changes the throttle plates to more closely follow the hysteresis of the throttle position sensor to the throttle angle in the right grip thereby eliminating a "dampning" effect in the throttle plates.

If the 3rd Gen Venture were to have the electric throttle off the FZ-09 you would not be able to ride the Venture due to abrupt engine acceleration caused by throttle plate movement.

On a high torque engine, the throttle must be "damped" or every little bump in the road would cause tiny throttle movement and a herky jerky ride.

I believe "Sport Mode" removes some damping through at least 3/4 throttle. Rev Limits and Maximum Horsepower and Torque are unchanged.

I can't wait till you get another chance to ride one as well. Still got the Superman Suit?

I am still not quite sure how just because your adjusting the throttle sensitivity electronically instead of the old fashioned way like we used to do it with a quarter turn throttle can equate to this type of difference though (just seems like there would have to be wayyy more to Sport Mode than what I am hearing/reading here):

or from the comments I have read about the new Venture doing wheelies in Sport Mode....

I think I may still be a little confused about what exactly Sport Mode really does/is...

Its very simple Puc. This is an EFI not normally aspirated. It’s no different than when I had an SCT module for my high performance Mustang. All the unit did was re-map fuel, spark advance, etc... The performance difference between the two was significant on the car. I imagine they’re doing pretty much the same thing here. I can’t wait until someone makes a performance module where you can personally tweak those parameters even more!

How many times does someone have to say it? There is NO change in rev limits!! You keep trying to ascribe something that does not exist. There IS a clear seat of the pants feel difference between the two. The acceleration is Sport Mode is much more brisk! Remember, that means you’ll have to “short shift” faster to not go so far out of the torque band as you did every time you shifted it in your video.

How many times does someone have to say it? There is NO change in rev limits!! You keep trying to ascribe something that does not exist. There IS a clear seat of the pants feel difference between the two. The acceleration is Sport Mode is much more brisk! Remember, that means you’ll have to “short shift” faster to not go so far out of the torque band as you did every time you shifted it in your video.

Riding is a skill, but to many think that the skill is revving the engine to 7,000 or more RPM depending on the rev limit of the engine, it takes even more skill to learn how to ride a low revving engine to wring the performance out of it. Anyone can wind out the engine, there is really not much skill in that, but to know were the power band is within the rev range is the real skill part.

But like I said to many think the skill part is having high revving engines and maxing out the RPM's in each gear, those people have gone over the power band in most cases and are not the most proficient riders, oh they make a lot of noise and such because they have hit maximum engine revs and sound like a bumble bee they think they are ready to enter the next MotoGP race.

Some think if they can't turn 7,000 or more RPM's then they can't be happy.

Riding is a skill, but to many think that the skill is revving the engine to 7,000 or more RPM depending on the rev limit of the engine, it takes even more skill to learn how to ride a low revving engine to wring the performance out of it. Anyone can wind out the engine, there is really not much skill in that, but to know were the power band is within the rev range is the real skill part.

But like I said to many think the skill part is having high revving engines and maxing out the RPM's in each gear, those people have gone over the power band in most cases and are not the most proficient riders, oh they make a lot of noise and such because they have hit maximum engine revs and sound like a bumble bee they think they are ready to enter the next MotoGP race.

Well said and VERY true. Old riding habits die hard.

Its very simple Puc. This is an EFI not normally aspirated. It’s no different than when I had an SCT module for my high performance Mustang. All the unit did was re-map fuel, spark advance, etc... The performance difference between the two was significant on the car. I imagine they’re doing pretty much the same thing here. I can’t wait until someone makes a performance module where you can personally tweak those parameters even more!

This is probably another old school gear head thing and probably incorrect too but in the circles I have built bikes in,, the term "not normally aspirated" would indicate that the engine is boosted somehow,,, either thru supercharging or with a turbo. Chief,, are you indicating here that the new Venture incorporates either of those?? I looked them over fairly close at Americade and at Sturgis last year never found any indicator of such.. I also never felt anything when riding them that indicated such BUT,,, I do concede that I did not seek the Sport Mode as you guys are referring to and it is entirely possible that the "boost" could be tied to such,,, NEVER UNDER ESTIMATE MOM YAM IMHO..

I did get to actually see the throttle body assembly for the new bike and seriously,, it is considerably less in stature than the dual set up used on the Strat, Roadliner or Raider mounts BUT - if I missed something and these new Ventures are indeed not normally aspirated/are boosted then the reduced accumulated size of the throttle body(s) is completely irrelevant IMHO..

Wow what a fun morning. Can you tell that it is raining here???

Dirt tamer.. throttle tamer... Electric Throttle Control... I think that "Tour Mode" would be what I would call "Standard Throttle". I think that "Sport Mode" changes the throttle plates to more closely follow the hysteresis of the throttle position sensor to the throttle angle in the right grip thereby eliminating a "dampning" effect in the throttle plates.

If the 3rd Gen Venture were to have the electric throttle off the FZ-09 you would not be able to ride the Venture due to abrupt engine acceleration caused by throttle plate movement.

On a high torque engine, the throttle must be "damped" or every little bump in the road would cause tiny throttle movement and a herky jerky ride.

I believe "Sport Mode" removes some damping through at least 3/4 throttle. Rev Limits and Maximum Horsepower and Torque are unchanged.

I can't wait till you get another chance to ride one as well. Still got the Superman Suit?

Nahh,, I sent the Superman Suite back to its rightful owner,, the REAL Superman = Dragonslayer .. I REALLY had fun with it though Duey - what an ABSOLUTE BLAST!!!!!!!!:superman::thumbsup: THANKS AGAIN MAN OF STEEL = DRAGONSLAYER!!!!!

Well said and VERY true. Old riding habits die hard.

Well said guys,, well said!! Some of us are still working on developing some of those skills though,,,, just dont give up on us!!

You did... You just did.

I think, as you took apart and parsed my post, you misinterpreted it. Firstly, diesel commercial engines by means of the ECM, can have their fuel metered at other than full rack injection. Fleet operators have different MPG requirements, as well as what rated HP, the engine needs to output. They then can dial back the full capability injection and can DETUNE the motor and restrict its working max HP and torque. This saves fuel for those operators. Secondly, your comment as regards to advanced ignition timing. I don't believe that I stated that diesel engines have ignition, other than through thermal flash point. I don't believe that I did... The reference to 91 octane, is that in fuel mapping, of which the ECM of the STVC is fully capable of, if flash written, can be fully utilized because that is the required fuel...and the SVTC's ignition timing, can be advanced enough to avail itself of that octane rating. Thirdly, your counter-point in the manual page you brought up, only advises the user, that there IS a different 'road feel' and 'road response', between Tour Mode, and Sport Mode. It does not explain in any way, the technical behind the ability to arrive at a different performance mapping.

To get a different response....IS by means of fuel mapping. You rotate the throttle, and fuel is metered to the engine in a different pro ratio. THAT is fuel mapping... That is...how a 550 HP potential commercial diesel, can be derated to 420 HP, max output, to control max torque, and best R.O.I. for median fleet operations. Yeah, know all about it...I do it for a living. I also play piano for a living...but there is no fuel metering involved, to how fast my tempo is on the music selection being performed....just training. Oh lord...sarcasm crept in...sorry, have to nip that in the bud, lol.

My 2004 Kawasaki ZR7S has KTRIC and can advance or retard the valve timing on the fly...in response to throttle position, and torque load out, to always have the best mid-range of the engine, available to the rider.

So...just to make sure you are not confused by my post. Diesel engines do not use gasoline. They do not have spark plugs. They can be through the ECM, that also the Logic Head of the SVTC has...can be fuel mapped, just as the Honda Goldwing has that capability and does actively on the fly...has always been since the GL1800 was released.

Honestly, I got the subtle sarcasm, and downplay...but really...was that necessary? Honestly, I don't think so.

I'm in Fleet Operations, and have a substantial background in what Commercial fuel mapping (Squeezed Mode) applications can be achieved, are available, and fleet managed. I appreciate what Yamaha has leveraged by means of its Logic Head and built in ECM module.

Lastly, I and my wife own and ride horses. We have three of them, including a Belgian for carriage and family touring. My analogy to the Equestrian terms, was valid, and would have been understood by any Equestrian....in that I consider in how my SVTC comes out of the gate, in SPORT mode, to be as if my horse, got on top, or managed to get above the bit...and had full non-rider input by loss of bit to mouth back pressure, for the torque that is resident in a well toned horse's back end. Yes..it can cause a run-away...but that is the 'pull' that I have experienced and thought to make a smile moment. Sorry if it did not register as such. :)

"You will not let me give you a break."

The truth be told, I never required one from you... ;)

Cheers,

Joe

Edited by YamahaParExcellence

Honestly, I got the subtle sarcasm, and downplay...but really...was that necessary? Honestly, I don't think so.

Yeah... you and me are gonna be on here for a long time. We might as well have fun with each other. I try humor, or at least my version of humor, when I smell something that is not right and try to correct it.

I'm in Fleet Operations, and have a substantial background in what Commercial fuel mapping (Squeezed Mode) applications can be achieved, are available, and fleet managed. I appreciate what Yamaha has leveraged by means of its Logic Head and built in ECM module.

Well... a computer that runs two cylinders aint that big of a deal. Since you brought it up, what is your background in commercial fuel mapping (squeezed mode)?

"You will not let me give you a break."

The truth be told, I never required one from you... ;)

Cheers,

Joe

We will do just fine.

Yeah... you and me are gonna be on here for a long time. We might as well have fun with each other. I try humor, or at least my version of humor, when I smell something that is not right and try to correct it.

We will do just fine.

Yep...no worries. My humor gets questioned sometimes as well...

Carry on!

You did... You just did.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=112627

:rotf::rotfl::rotf::rotfl::rotf::rotfl::rotf::rotfl::doh:

My Tahoe has both of these modes, I tried it out on gravel road right after I bought the truck. I was curious so anyways I went out on gravel road and turned the traction control off first. Then I floored it that darn truck started drifting straight out a movie or something, I then stopped and turned on traction control, I floored it it took off smoothly and got up to speed smoothly. So I repeated 2 more times and it is pretty interesting what all happens, On Ice it was pretty interesting it moved sooo slow, my truck just said nope not going nowhere fast that is for sure, turned off traction control and the truck did not budge it just spun on the ice. My tahoe is throttle by wire I have learned to hate it to love it...

On a new third generation Venture if you are in sport mode and get on it and open your mouth the wind blows out your back side and your hair catches fire and any first or second generation Ventures in your path get tire tracks on them as you go flying by and you hope there are no police officers running radar because you will end up in jail!

:scared: :225: :255: :322: :mugshot:

:big-grin-emoticon:

On a new third generation Venture if you are in sport mode and get on it and open your mouth the wind blows out your back side and your hair catches fire and any first or second generation Ventures in your path get tire tracks on them as you go flying by and you hope there are no police officers running radar because you will end up in jail!

:scared: :225: :255: :322: :mugshot:

:big-grin-emoticon:

That sounds like a challenge!!! I want to see a 1st gen head to head with a 3rd. Ya see there's not a button to turn sport mode off on a 1st gen. Mines been in sport mode for 32 years, aint never looked at a twins tail light. :stickpoke::cool10::cool10: I haven't seen a 3rd on the road yet, but I'll keep a watch out in the mirror for yalll. Wave real big and I'll slow down for ya.

That sounds like a challenge!!! I want to see a 1st gen head to head with a 3rd. Ya see there's not a button to turn sport mode off on a 1st gen. Mines been in sport mode for 32 years, aint never looked at a twins tail light. :stickpoke::cool10::cool10: I haven't seen a 3rd on the road yet, but I'll keep a watch out in the mirror for yalll. Wave real big and I'll slow down for ya.

We would love to help you but we are all in jail and no one has come to bail us out.

That streak that you noticed and that :sign woo hoo: you heard was a third generation venture going by!!!:icon_lurker: