IGNORED

How to r & r the tires on 2nd gen?

My bestest friend in the whole world excepting @cowpuc just gave me a set of Pirelli Route 66 to try on and write a ride report about. Except my local tire shop will charge me $140 to mount them.

I don’t have any problem with the mechanics of taking off and putting on but how to secure the bike so it doesn’t tip over? I have a rolling floor jack. How to jack it up but NOT “jack it up “?

Thanks for the guidance

VentureFar...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is your jack a motorcycle jack? Does it have loop holes on the main frame? I used tie downs to secure bike its a PITA but I would jack some and losen up the strap as I went.

Never ride faster then your angel can fly. I am as free as the wind on my face.

The only way I know with a motor cycle floor jack is Carbon One's lift adapter. It gets you above the motor and frame members that get in the way...

RD's idea sounds cool....

I ran Pirelli Routes on my 2nd gen...and couldn't wait to get rid of them. They were great at first...but after 4K miles, they nibbled on every imperfection on the road. I kept the tires at 40-42 rear and 38-40 front.

Edited by videoarizona
add

The only way I know with a motor cycle floor jack is Carbon One's lift adapter. It gets you above the motor and frame members that get in the way...

RD's idea sounds cool....

Definitely sounds easier than the way that I do it.

Silly question can't you take the front tire off first and then let it kneel down to get the back tire off?

On my 07 where I have to put the jack the rear comes up first. Then I throw a couple jack stands under the rear of the frame and move the jack under the engine to lift the front. I'm putting in a new 5000 ft shop next month so I will have room for a lift after that. Using the straps works really well for somebody without a lift though. They need to go out to the posts just a few inches higher than the bars. You can also go high enough to be able to clear the fenders front and rear.

AND I'll say it before somebody else does: it is redneck engineering at its best.

Edited by RDawson

On another note I use Wallyworld carb cleaner to seat the new tire on the rims if they don't want to seal up. Just a short blast in the tire letting it get a little on the outside of the bead, drop a match on it and BOOM the tire is seated. Take out the valve core first or sometimes it will suck the tire right back off the bead. This is a variation of the old starting fluid method, carb cleaner isn't near as volatile as ether so I prefer it. Remember I said SHORT blast of cleaner it doesn't take much of an explosion to do it. Less than second of spray usually works.

DISCLAIMER: PLAY WITH FIRE AT YOUR OWN RISK.

On another note I use Wallyworld carb cleaner to seat the new tire on the rims if they don't want to seal up. Just a short blast in the tire letting it get a little on the outside of the bead, drop a match on it and BOOM the tire is seated. Take out the valve core first or sometimes it will suck the tire right back off the bead. This is a variation of the old starting fluid method, carb cleaner isn't near as volatile as ether so I prefer it. Remember I said SHORT blast of cleaner it doesn't take much of an explosion to do it. Less than second of spray usually works.
Would you think I'm nuts if I told you that I used to seat tires all the time with Hairspray

Never heard of the hairspray method but many aerosol cans use unscented propane as a propellant, I have used propane from my torch to seat tires too. I don't know if hairspray uses propane or not but any good explosive gas should work. It doesn't take hairspray to make diagnosis of being nuts though, I think most of us passed that a long time ago. :hihi::sign67:

Never heard of the hairspray method but many aerosol cans use unscented propane as a propellant, I have used propane from my torch to seat tires too. I don't know if hairspray uses propane or not but any good explosive gas should work. It doesn't take hairspray to make diagnosis of being nuts though, I think most of us passed that a long time ago. :hihi::sign67:
Well I used to ignite my potato gun with hairspray to spray a whole bunch in there hit the ignitor button shooting potatoes[emoji23][emoji23]

Well I used to ignite my potato gun with hairspray to spray a whole bunch in there hit the ignitor button shooting potatoes[emoji23][emoji23]

:confused24:I've still got my old squirrel gun and my deer rifles. We always just dug our taters, never had to shoot em. :think::think:

My bestest friend in the whole world excepting cowpuc just gave me a set of Pirelli Route 66 to try on and write a ride report about. Except my local tire shop will charge me $140 to mount them.

I don’t have any problem with the mechanics of taking off and putting on but how to secure the bike so it doesn’t tip over? I have a rolling floor jack. How to jack it up but NOT “jack it up “?

Thanks for the guidance

VentureFar...

Awe,,, RIGHT BACK AT CHA MY BROTHER:thumbsup:!!

IMHO Neil,, if your gonna start doing your own tires or finding needs now to be able to lift your scoot,, you really want to locate one of Larry's (Carbon One's) lift adapters.. I never used one but have seen pics and believe that his adapter attaches to your 2nd Gen where a center stand would attach and is very secure.. Once you put that adapter on, you slide your bike jack under it like you were sliding it directly under exposed frame rails so the adapter gives you a good, flat, level surface to lift on..

No matter how you decide to get the bike up in the air,, PLEASE be mindful that when you remove a wheel - the bike will want to rock upwardly at the end where you just removed the weight from... This happening when working off a centerstand can be VERY dangerous because the centerstand can fold up during the weight shift and the whole bike can come down on ya.. Make sure you lock the wheels on your jack to avoid even the remotest possibilty of the jack moving should this happen. The best thing you can do is once off the ground on the jack is to support both forward of the jack and reward of the jack (if you have the space) with jack stands just to be sure the bike cant rock forward or back.. A bike tie down from the rear of the bike to the trailer hitch on your car will work too BUT make sure you take the keys out of the car if you use this method so that precious bride of yours doesnt head in to town for grocerys and find herself being followed closely by your bike without you on it :big-grin-emoticon:...

Concerning struggling with getting the tire beads to seal,,, personally I have found that letting the new tires lay in the sun for a while to get good and hot and then after I spoon em on, taking a bike tie down ratchet strap and go around the perimeter of the tire and ratchet it down real tight and bingo - no need for explosions that might burn your hair off or damage the cords in your tire :big-grin-emoticon: (I do LOVE the BOOM too though :big-grin-emoticon:).

Concerning tater guns - OH YEA!! They are AWESOME.. We once launched a tater with hairspray from hunk of 1 1/2 inch PVC that landed on a roof top a block away :scared:... Sometimes I think its a miracle that your brother is still alive Neil..

By the way,,,, WOWZY WOW WOW WOW = :ice_congrats-vi6886 on the gift of the new boots for the scoot my friend = THAT is :ice_awesome-vi46644!!!!!!!!!!!!

Neil,, is "your new bestest friend" gonna let you do a reality check on the new Wing??? I would LOVE to hear about your take on it if he does!!!!

YA DONT HAVE TO SAY IT = I BEAT CHA TO IT = I JUST SAID HI AND :bighug:TO TIPPY FOR YA!!:happy34:

Puc

Puc this is just about the funniest thing I have ever heard: BUT make sure you take the keys out of the car if you use this method so that precious bride of yours doesnt head in to town for grocerys and find herself being followed closely by your bike without you on it :big-grin-emoticon:...

i am am going to pay the $140, you are very convincing.

VentureFar...

BTW, In addition to all above...I've used rachet tie downs to lock the center stand of the 1st gen to the engine guard. That way even when I have her kneeling, I know the stand won't fold up on me. On the 2nd gen, I always use 2 tie downs, front and rear, if I'm going to be doing some serious wrenching. Like torqueing a rear axle. That way I don't have to worry about weight shift....so far so good!

Here is my 89 kneeling down while I grease the rear end and get a new tire!

IMG_20141203_120707_798.jpg

BTW, In addition to all above...I've used rachet tie downs to lock the center stand of the 1st gen to the engine guard. That way even when I have her kneeling, I know the stand won't fold up on me. On the 2nd gen, I always use 2 tie downs, front and rear, if I'm going to be doing some serious wrenching. Like torqueing a rear axle. That way I don't have to worry about weight shift....so far so good!

Here is my 89 kneeling down while I grease the rear end and get a new tire!

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=112560

Would be $90 for the two if off the bike and $140 on.

I am still convinced to pay the $140. A tip over can cost me that in lights and mirror replacement....

I am still convinced to pay the $140. A tip over can cost me that in lights and mirror replacement....

But if ya take the difference here and invest in the lift adapter for your bike and use it with care - think of the future fun you can have ripping your bike apart and saving cash while doing so brother.. It's the old "teach your brother to fish routine",,,,, which I TOTALLY subscribe to - I just want to do everything I can do to make sure my brother and friend comes back from the fishin trip in one piece :thumbsup::dancefool::Laugh:

I removed the rear in an emergency repair by lifting with an automotive jack on the frame center on the throttle side. Balanced against the kickstand. Was kind of scary, but worked fine. Not sure how you would get the front off, but it should be pretty easy comparatively.

RR

Agreed. But as Puc mentions....you can always use the lift and adapter on your 2nd Gen. I do all the time. Even when I don't really need to lift the bike...but to hold it upright. I can check oil level, fluid levels all while not worrying about leveling the bike. It also comes in handy to level the bike when you are working inside the fairing. Lift it up enough to get the front wheel just barely off the ground, then you can easily swing the front left or right as you work.

I got mine at Harbor Freight. Now, after 3 years, it does leak down, so if I'm only up a bit...I put a small wood block under kickstand so if it goes all the way down...the bike will rest easy. If I'm changing tires or have the bike up high for some reason, then I use the built in lock to lock the bike up high.

Regardless....your choice. I just wanted to point out different options for you.

BTW, are you heading East to MD? If so....we can meet up. I'm leaving around the 23rd or 24th...depending upon the weather around Tornado Alley.

IMG_20150803_123407_812.jpg

$79 at HF. They go on sale cheaper.

Many pluses on the Carbon One lift adapter. Don't remember what it cost years ago but it works for tires, rear end service, oil change, and detail cleanup plus much more. I never ratchet mine down since on level floor it never moves. If you remove both tires, then I block the front first and remove the rear. Then remove the front. I use my Sears bike lift I purchased in 2006 for $69.00. And I have my own bike tire changer that makes all much easier.

:farmer: