IGNORED

Anyone have experience with these stators?

I will say this same model is on ebay for $99 I bought one from Race Electric for $49, I have had the cover off recently to take a peak after a month of running it. But problem with mine I had to install the plug on it. Which is not something you can do on the side of the road.

I once ran cross country with a smoked stator by purchasing a battery charger and hanging a car battery on the side of my bike, disconnecting the lights and running the ignition off battery only.. Worked good,,,, not as good as the one Squidley had waiting for me at his house in Texas when Tweek's stator went though....

Yea,, its hard to outsmart Murph but the old carrying the xtra parts routine does usually prove effective for me too David... One thing about it,, clean socks and shorts are always available a Walmart 24/7 but try to find a Stator or the like while out CTFW - personally,, the maintenance department on my scoot is well stocked when I am heading out for a 2 monther cause me and Murph - we love to :stickpoke:..

Am I missunderstanding this. Your gonna pack this with you for a trip "just in case". Man you must carry a whole bunch more tools than I ever do.

Not going to carry everything...just some basics. Going to borrow the tool kit from my 1st gen as it's pretty complete....then a few more things. The rest, I can "borrow" from Autozone. I already have the gasket...so a little wrenching should get me going again. If not, I'm going to try and carry some phone numbers of members on the way. I might get lucky and break down right next door to a member! (crossing fingers here).

I'm going to rely on the reliability of these Yamahas for the trip. The rest will be keeping my fingers crossed as I zoom down the road!

Why wouldn't you just install the new one before you head out and not have to think about it while you're enjoying your trip? Just wondering why you would wait for a failure that you expect to happen?

Maybe it's just me...

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Why wouldn't you just install the new one before you head out and not have to think about it while you're enjoying your trip? Just wondering why you would wait for a failure that you expect to happen?

Maybe it's just me...

Ty Are you Familiar with Murphy? Well I will tell you something from years of experience, You don't have what you need that is the first thing to fail! Now a few times when I learned the lesson the hard way I thought I had the stuff needed to change a tire. Well lets just say for some reason the jack handle was missing on one occassion and the other my spare tire was flatter then flat, no air pump. One time I went on a trip forgot my tools, sat on side of road for 30 minutes because I didn't have a simple phillips to put my rotor bug back on or take my cap off. I have no clue how rotor bug came off but it did.

Very good reason...besides "Murphy".

With electronics, my over 40 years experience has shown that if they are going to fail...the most likely failure point is within the first few weeks of operation. If they make it that long, they will probably go a long time. The reason for this is the parts do "break in" just like anything else. A weak electrical part will usually fail near the beginning of it's life. I know a stator isn't really electrical per se.....but my gut says put it in the bag along with the gasket and hope I never need to try it out.

So...since my current stator is working well and has been since the beginning of time...there is a decent chance it will last a while longer. The new part...there's no guarantee at all.

At least that's my belief system. LOL!

Ty Are you Familiar with Murphy? Well I will tell you something from years of experience, You don't have what you need that is the first thing to fail! Now a few times when I learned the lesson the hard way I thought I had the stuff needed to change a tire. Well lets just say for some reason the jack handle was missing on one occassion and the other my spare tire was flatter then flat, no air pump. One time I went on a trip forgot my tools, sat on side of road for 30 minutes because I didn't have a simple phillips to put my rotor bug back on or take my cap off. I have no clue how rotor bug came off but it did.
Murph I know all about. Haven't you been following my posts? Now a rotor bug is something I've never heard of

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Very good reason...besides "Murphy".

With electronics, my over 40 years experience has shown that if they are going to fail...the most likely failure point is within the first few weeks of operation. If they make it that long, they will probably go a long time. The reason for this is the parts do "break in" just like anything else. A weak electrical part will usually fail near the beginning of it's life. I know a stator isn't really electrical per se.....but my gut says put it in the bag along with the gasket and hope I never need to try it out.

So...since my current stator is working well and has been since the beginning of time...there is a decent chance it will last a while longer. The new part...there's no guarantee at all.

At least that's my belief system. LOL!

Makes perfect sense to me now. Thanks. Kind of like the reason I stay within 50 miles of home after I fix something on my stubborn old gal or like several mechanics have told me over the years that if you haven't serviced your transmission in your car buy a hundred thousand miles don't! You'll just loosen up crud and cause all kinds of problems

Bailing wire and duct tape

Add WD-40 and a big effin hammer and you have the top of the line Ky toolbox.

Funny story when my oldest was small my wife was in a fender bender that tore off the bumper cover. Next week we were going to a dr 4 hrs away and the car overheated. Found that without the cover a plastic piece would fold down in the wind and block the radiator. Using the line out of a Barbie fishing pole in the trunk I tied the flap down and finished the trip. Ya should've seen the body shop guys face when he asked me what the fishing line was for. His response was to say "Only in Ky, and was I out of duct tape".

Murph I know all about. Haven't you been following my posts? Now a rotor bug is something I've never heard of

Well if you owned anythung pre 90s you had a rotor bug aka distributor rotor..

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b/masterpro-ignition-4513/ignition---tune-up-16776/distributor-cap---rotor-16854/distributor-rotor-12509/dec0a16afda5/masterpro-ignition-rotor/23871/4598671/1987/ford/ranger?pos=3

Never ride faster then your angel can fly. I am as free as the wind on my face.

Well if you owned anythung pre 90s you had a rotor bug aka distributor rotor..

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b/masterpro-ignition-4513/ignition---tune-up-16776/distributor-cap---rotor-16854/distributor-rotor-12509/dec0a16afda5/masterpro-ignition-rotor/23871/4598671/1987/ford/ranger?pos=3

Never ride faster then your angel can fly. I am as free as the wind on my face.

I'm with Tyler on that one. They're rotor buttons around here.

In 75 when I was a Parts replacer at a gas station, oops, make that a service station, Standard Oil, a tune-up usually included points and plugs and cap and rotor. I couldn't have been called the mechanic at 17 years old because I didn't diagnose anything I just put new brakes on or change the oils or did whatever I was told to do. That's when I cut my finger half way through on the day that I learned that you shouldn't dry out wheel bearings with two fingers stuck in the center using the air hose! Yes I've always been a little bit stupid. You should have heard that sucker scream right before it blew up! Luckily all the bearings blew into my stomach and chest and not into my face. I was alone in the station at lunch time and had to wait 30 minutes for someone to get back and then drive myself to the hospital down the street almost passing out at the time

Edited by s.tyler58