IGNORED

Generator Storage?

grubsie

Leaving Puerto Rico tomorrow and won't be coming back until next December at the earliest so going to have to store the generator. According to the storage instructions in my Honda manual, it says to remove all the fuel from the tank and carburetor.

MoreThan 3 Months Before Next Use

Remove the fuel from the carburetor and fuel tank. Do not

allow gasoline to remain in your generator’s fuel tank for more

than 3 months of activity.

This goes against everything I have learned over my years. When I store my bikes and lawnmowers etc. for the winter, I top off the tanks and use Stabil and never have problems. Of course down here, there's no Stabil or Seafoam so that's out. I was thinking about fogging the tank but the only thing available here is WD40. I'm not sure what to do. The humidity over the course of the summer is so thick that you could almost cut it with a knife. Plus I don't want to leave fuel in the tank anyway, since the generator will be stored inside the house which gets like an oven in the summer months with everything closed and locked up. Should I leave the cap loose to avoid expansion from leftover fumes?

So maybe I will just have to leave the tank empty and untreated this year. Maybe have to think about future years. Any idea what products I could use that I could safely ship here?

Storage should be either completely filled with TREATED gas or completely empty. Both will work. Since my gen is now only run once every couple of years, if the power goes out, I store it empty since even treated gas will not last that long. I would store it with the cap loose or even off with a rag or screen over the hole to keep critters and dirt out. If you have a way it would be good to vent the fumes out of the tank before you bring it in the house. I would also do an oil change before you store it.

My next gen will be either diesel or propane powered since they both can be stored nearly forever with no fuel issues. I have even considered putting a propane conversion kit on my current gen.

Empty tank, and run it dry. I always do that with my lawnmower and snow blower (Plastic tanks). Motorcycle, I treat the gas, ride a bit, then brim off with treated gas. (steel tank) IMO, on your Generator, I don't think it matters about cap, they have holes and breath anyway.

If you decide to drain everything while in storage, I would suggest you fog everything with a good marine fogging spray. Pull the plugs and fog cylinders and everything else inside and outside. Very humid enviro. things are gonna want to rust.

Craig

If you decide to drain everything while in storage, I would suggest you fog everything with a good marine fogging spray. Pull the plugs and fog cylinders and everything else inside and outside. Very humid enviro. things are gonna want to rust.

Craig

Not on this island. The only things available are WD40, WD40 & WD40

I would pull the plug, oil the cylinder well and spin it to the compression stroke so valves are closed, then reinstall plug. Carb and tank dry is how I store the generator I use during power outages as they are few and far between here. I just fuel it up and crank it as needed. The bigger generator I use working gets stored with carb dry and tank filled to the top with alcahol free gas.

Leaving Puerto Rico tomorrow Any idea what products I could use that I could safely ship here?

If they have LPG in PR you might take a look at Duel Fuel generators. I have a buddy who has a vacation house just south of Muleje in Posada Conception Baja Mex Sur. He leaves his LP genset sitting for 6 months or more at a time and it's never failed to start as if it had run the day before... He swears by his... I just bought a Dura-Max 12000 for the same reason. I don't know about shipping one down to PR, but it's an option...

Empty tank, and run it dry. I always do that with my lawnmower and snow blower (Plastic tanks). Motorcycle, I treat the gas, ride a bit, then brim off with treated gas. (steel tank) IMO, on your Generator, I don't think it matters about cap, they have holes and breath anyway.

“Running it dry” doesn’t take care of what’s in the float bowl. That’s where stuff gets jacked up. Run it dry or drain it is fine but don’t forget to drain the float bowl.

I would pull the plug, oil the cylinder well and spin it to the compression stroke so valves are closed, then reinstall plug. Carb and tank dry is how I store the generator I use during power outages as they are few and far between here. I just fuel it up and crank it as needed. The bigger generator I use working gets stored with carb dry and tank filled to the top with alcahol free gas.

Good point Dawson. Many forget about protecting the cylinders too.

This thread prompted me to buy a smallish dual fuel generator today. I've had a couple of 4-5 day outages recently. I also have a kerosene heater which will keep the house from freezing in the winter, Thats enough for a couple of days.

under $300. I don't expect A+ quality.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dual-Fuel-Generator-4000-Watt-Portable-Gasoline-Liquid-Propane-RV-Power-Outage/173286213408