IGNORED

Trike rant

tufftom4

Why do people put a Voyager kit on a bike and go to sell it and advertise it as a trike? I reply to them and tell them it is not a trike and they get mad at me then I tell them it is false advertising that really irks the heck out of me.

Why do people put a Voyager kit on a bike and go to sell it and advertise it as a trike? I reply to them and tell them it is not a trike and they get mad at me then I tell them it is false advertising that really irks the heck out of me.

Seems to me that 4 wheels = automobile.

"Automobile: a road vehicle, typically with four wheels, powered by an internal combustion engine or electric motor and able to carry a small number of people."

zag

A really good friend of mine (MiRider) had one that I got to ride and I liked it.. The one he had didnt steer like a traditional "trike", it still had the characteristics of a bike in the twisties but still provided adequate anti tip over.. I know that lop eared Hot Dog sneakin varmint and his precious wife have since moved on to a traditional trike (Tri Glide) but I am sure that MiRider told me how thankful they were for their Voyagerized 2nd Gen (and their current Tri Glide) as it added some 15 years onto their being able to get out and CTFW..

Knowing that,, in the sellers defence I also know that the company that produces the Voyager does advertise it as a "Trike Kit",,, not that it really matters though cause to me,,,,,, I wouldn't care if they called it a screamin yellow zonker with a double warp drive,,, if it keeps the buyer out CTFW = I am good with calling it whatever they/I/you/them/him/her/us wants to call it...

:big-grin-emoticon:

In California it's considered a trailer... just attached differently... and so does Geico so no increase in premium.., and in that regard a MC indorsement on your drivers license isn't needed when riding a Voyager Trike Kit because the DMV thinks it's a trike... Just like a 3 wheel conversion.. Life's too short to get our knickers in a twist about terminology. :icon_lurker::fnd_(16):

In California it's considered a trailer... just attached differently... and so does Geico so no increase in premium.., and in that regard a MC indorsement on your drivers license isn't needed when riding a Voyager Trike Kit because the DMV thinks it's a trike... Just like a 3 wheel conversion.. Life's too short to get our knickers in a twist about terminology. :icon_lurker::fnd_(16):

Michigan has "Permanent" plates for trailers,,,, it'd be cool if they would let cha just license my bike one time as a trailer :cool10::hihi:.. I'd be wayyyyy more than happy to even call my motorcycle a trailer :rotf: if that would work:happy65:

Michigan has "Permanent" plates for trailers,,,, it'd be cool if they would let cha just license my bike one time as a trailer :cool10::hihi:.. I'd be wayyyyy more than happy to even call my motorcycle a trailer :rotf: if that would work:happy65:[/quote

Hmmm a bike designated as a trailer, makes me think you could mount a tongue on the front of a Harley and it'd feel right at home. :buttkick::rotfl:

Michigan has "Permanent" plates for trailers,,,, it'd be cool if they would let cha just license my bike one time as a trailer :cool10::hihi:.. I'd be wayyyyy more than happy to even call my motorcycle a trailer :rotf: if that would work:happy65:

AMEN!!!!! That would be really cool.... :snow2:

Hmmm a bike designated as a trailer, makes me think you could mount a tongue on the front of a Harley and it'd feel right at home. :buttkick::rotfl:

I don't see why not?? It only has two wheels.... just mounted differently... :think::think::whistling::duck:

So my '08 with the Hannigan kit on it means I wouldn't need the MC on my DL? At least in California?? Anywhere else that's legal? Since the hubby can't be bothered to get his MC, at least he could drive the trike because he's too darn big [or should I say fat!] to fit in the pillon seat! :biker:

So my '08 with the Hannigan kit on it means I wouldn't need the MC on my DL? At least in California?? Anywhere else that's legal? Since the hubby can't be bothered to get his MC, at least he could drive the trike because he's too darn big [or should I say fat!] to fit in the pillon seat! :biker:

I can only speak for Kalifornia. Not sure how any other state would handle it???

In Wisconsin you still need a MC on your DL to drive a trike or Voyager.

@cowpuc

Also In Wisconsin I do have a permanent plate on my bike. Because my bike is more than 20 model years old, I can get a Collector plate. The Collector plate requires a one time initial payment of double the normal registration fee of $12, so $24 plus $25 and you get a plate for $49 that is now good forever. You never have to pay another penny for renewals or registration ever. The only caveat to having a Collector plate is that I can not have it out on the road in the month of January. Around here that is NOT normally an issue.:snow2::snow::snow2: IF you should happen to get another collector bike, it will get the same plate number with an alpha suffix character added on.

As for trailers, anything under 3,000 lbs GVW trailer weight does not have registration or plates.

Every state has their own game and the rules vary wildly from state to state. So do your homework in your state to see if there are any loopholes you can jump thru.

In Wisconsin you still need a MC on your DL to drive a trike or Voyager.

cowpuc

Also In Wisconsin I do have a permanent plate on my bike. Because my bike is more than 20 model years old, I can get a Collector plate. The Collector plate requires a one time initial payment of double the normal registration fee of $12, so $24 plus $25 and you get a plate for $49 that is now good forever. You never have to pay another penny for renewals or registration ever.

Another issue is that the bike must not be modified in any way:

​"A motor vehicle at least 20 years old from the current calendar year that is being preserved because of its historical interest and has no alterations to the body may be eligible for Collector license plates."

So, I'm out!

zag

It does specify just no alterations to the body.

At the time I got mine it said the vehicle must be "predominately stock appearing". I do not think they check, I have seen T buckets with collector plates. But my bike is very close to stock appearing.