IGNORED

Absolutely LOUSY Customer service & a warning!

Kretz

Over a week ago I went into my local Cabelas store to make a "sale item" purchase.

Although shown as "in stock" I was informed by the associate after much rummaging & searching that the item wasn't in stock, (it turned out later that the associate was wrong & the item WAS indeed in stock at that time!)

OK no problem, (we all make mistakes!) the associate suggested I make the purchase on line, that way it would be sent straight to my home, no freight charges as I could use a coupon code.

On 23rd Nov. I placed my on-line order, paid in full & received a confirmation by return.

Having heard absolutely nothing, on 29th Nov. I called Cabelas "Customer Service" (Ha! Ha!) & spoke to an indifferent & very bored sounding individual. I gave him the order details & politely asked if he could give me any idea when my order would be shipped, his answer?....

"When we get around to it!" I was taken aback by this response & said "what does that mean?", he replied "we're very busy & working as fast as we can, it'll be sent when it's sent, you'll get an e-mail when it's dispatched!" (I have yet to receive that e-mail)

I sent an e-mail detailing my experience with "customer service" but I have yet to receive a response to that e-mail!

It's now 1st December & I have still heard absolutely nothing from Cabelas. They have my money, (so why sould they care?) I do not have my order, nor does it it appear that it is even in the mail yet! :mad:

Just a warning, if you plan to make make Christmas purchases on-line from Cabelas, be warned by this experience & brace yourself for possible disappointment!

I go to Cabella's a few times a year, and also I hit Scheels. I find what I want in the size I need and go home and throw it on my Ebay shoping list. Search and wait for the right deal. Im patient, but im not about to pay the laughable prices they charge for basic gear, even with good service. If I can save $10 or $15-20% over buying locally I'll buy online. No problem. Our local Cabella's has okay service and decent products, prices are just way out of line. I know I'm FAR from unique in this shopping practice. Its just about numbers.

I go to Cabella's a few times a year, and also I hit Scheels. I find what I want in the size I need and go home and throw it on my Ebay shoping list. Search and wait for the right deal. Im patient, but im not about to pay the laughable prices they charge for basic gear, even with good service. If I can save $10 or $15-20% over buying locally I'll buy online. No problem. Our local Cabella's has okay service and decent products, prices are just way out of line. I know I'm FAR from unique in this shopping practice. Its just about numbers.

A lot of people use this method of shopping. Then they are the first to complain when the store closes. If I am going to go thru the effort to drive to a store to try things on or get other hands on with a product, that service is worth something to be and I will pay more to support that convenience. I do not end up buying a lot of stuff on line.

I end up buying a lot of stuff on line because it is simply not available or not in stock in the local stores. Stores only stock items that sell in high volume so on line purchasing is necessary. A long time ago, I ordered from the Sears catalog!!

A lot of people use this method of shopping. Then they are the first to complain when the store closes. If I am going to go thru the effort to drive to a store to try things on or get other hands on with a product, that service is worth something to be and I will pay more to support that convenience. I do not end up buying a lot of stuff on line.

I do hear a lot of complaining when local stores close, I dont complain, many are doomed by the prices and in some localities the inconvenience of traffic and parking. Its just the reality of how more and more folks shop, even groceries. Im not happy or sad about it, times change and this is where it's going. I also know more folks than ever watching their money more carefully.

Many online retailers do free returns and exchanges with all free shipping. There is really no way retail stores can compete, they will have to find a way to fall into line on prices or go OOB. The last of the store-only shoppers are dying off. I really have to watch my money since my earning potential got snipped, even without that its just good practice to pay as little as possible for the quality required. Some stores will adapt like Walmart, Menards and Harbor Freight by making the bulk of their inventory poorly made look-alike Chinese knock-off products. Its a business model that works although I'm not down with it, hence my extensive online shopping. I cherish free enterprise, I can just vote with my wallet like everyone else. But your right about the fact that us frequent online shoppers really aught not groan when retailers close up shop. As a consumer I love the whole world at my keyboard as a stellar alternative to price heavy retailers with CEOs making 6+ figure incomes and we have options that dont include paying for that overhead. IMHO its not good or bad, it just is. I appreciate the choices and I save well over $1000 annually. It adds up pretty fast.

I do hear a lot of complaining when local stores close, I dont complain, many are doomed by the prices and in some localities the inconvenience of traffic and parking. Its just the reality of how more and more folks shop, even groceries. Im not happy or sad about it, times change and this is where it's going. I also know more folks than ever watching their money more carefully.

Many online retailers do free returns and exchanges with all free shipping. There is really no way retail stores can compete, they will have to find a way to fall into line on prices or go OOB. The last of the store-only shoppers are dying off. I really have to watch my money since my earning potential got snipped, even without that its just good practice to pay as little as possible for the quality required. Some stores will adapt like Walmart, Menards and Harbor Freight by making the bulk of their inventory poorly made look-alike Chinese knock-off products. Its a business model that works although I'm not down with it, hence my extensive online shopping. I cherish free enterprise, I can just vote with my wallet like everyone else. But your right about the fact that us frequent online shoppers really aught not groan when retailers close up shop. As a consumer I love the whole world at my keyboard as a stellar alternative to price heavy retailers with CEOs making 6+ figure incomes and we have options that dont include paying for that overhead. IMHO its not good or bad, it just is. I appreciate the choices and I save well over $1000 annually. It adds up pretty fast.

Just to clarify... I went to the local store! (& have been there four more times in the last week!) I do support local stores & if you read my post it was the LOCAL STORE that advised me to order from their online website (not from a cheaper one, or a Chinese knock off store!)

Anyway I was at the store again today spending yet more money locally, so I inquired & asked if they could provide any info about my online order. The store staff were really helpful, found my order & gave me a full update as to its progress & when I should receive it.

They said that they would also have been upset by the attitude of the the associate I spoke to when trying to progress the order.

Unfortunately, the one thing being overlooked in this link is the fact that all these potential store closings (i.e. the buy-out of Cabellas) represent a horrifying loss of JOBS for folks who desperately need the salaries that go with them.

That's what worries us to death these days. We ran a small town Mom 'n Pop weekly newspaper back in the 80s. For nearly 150 years it survived the arrival of Radio, then Television, and finally 'Shoppers'. One day a large Chain showed up with "an offer we couldn't refuse." (The alternative was they'd start their own, and starve us out.)

By that time we had installed a web press, and were printing most of the local papers in our area. The firm had grown from 4 full-time jobs, and 2 part-timers, to a staff of 26. In less than a year, the big Company's 'Centralized Production Facilities' saw the staff shrink to 6, with virtually no local news in the Paper; just Ads and filler material, plus a few stories clipped from other sources. But, it still survived... until the Internet Monster showed up, and established itself. Within a couple years our Paper vanished, along with most of the little 'Front Street Shops' that are the heart of every small town. Internet prices killed them all.

Fortunately by that time our own Kids had established themselves with solid jobs that are unlikely to be affected. But... we wonder where THEIR Kids are going to find Jobs, and who is to blame...?

Rgds, WRIDR

Must admit I didn't know about the Bass Pro buyout of Cabelas. We have a BP store "local" too but it's 80km away! I hope they don't close the local Cabelas which is only 15km away! & yes maybe the guy I spoke to had heard the take over news & was having a downer because of it.

Always sad when people lose their jobs, been through that a few times myself due to takeovers, buyouts etc.

Like FlyinFool I do try to buy local even if it costs a bit more, I do agree that the "local service" is worth something to me. However being on a fixed income I really can't afford to pay ridiculous amounts more but will eat 10 or 20% simply for the convenience. Additional Shipping costs can often make online purchases & "savings" a bit of a false economy too.

Some time ago my wife saw a m/c jacket she really liked in a local stealership, end of line, no more available. She tried it on but it was just too small & she needed one size larger. The store said they would not be able to get one in her size.

I came home looked online & found the identical jacket in the larger size. Cost at the local store Cdn$350 cost online (at a US store in NY) US$98!!!! That sort of difference I just cannot afford to eat.

The original news statement about Bass Pro buying Cabela's stated that both chains would continue to operate rate under their current names. There were no intentions to close or change the name of Cabela's. Of course, that could change in the future but that is the word at this time.