IGNORED

Strange whine on my 1st Gen

windrider1983

Kin I buy some Stock??? As soon as I git paid??

Absolutely with no doubt about it,, you and any other varmints interested in investing into this amazing new product.. Just make all investment checks payable to Puc and FlyinFool Made Off Incorporated and send it to @Flyinfool so he can deposit it without me having any knowledge of the existence of any investments therein..

I would think that with all the riding experience you guys have you wouldn't need speedo's to tell how fast you're going! :superman:

Or maybe you ride IN Speedo's :crackup:(no Puc... that's NOT a photo we want to see)

Careful there Kretzy,, you know how things work around this joint,, all its takes is for some innocent bystander to make such a suggestion and then,, another innocent bystander to make a comment as to how crazy that comment was and before ya know = POOF,, ya can end up with one of us taking the challenge seriously and out of it some bone head will actually put on a pair of superman jammies and go riding thru down town Sturgis in front of a bunch of wild eyed Harley riders = dont laugh = it could happen!!

When it happened to me, I was on a failed Saddle Sore 1000 attempt somewhere around Mount Mitchell, N.C. During a sudden blizzard. I remember having to hunker down under a tarp next to a news paper box in the parking lot of a convenience store, listing to the Elks and wolves hollering and howling all night long, kinda like Puc style camping.

Well anyway, next morning after a long sleepless night, the paper man made me move so he could load the paper box. Just in time for the store to open and I got the first cup of a fresh pot of coffee to choke down a day old warmed up sausage and biscuit to warm my frost bitten innards.

Being too exhausted to finish the SS1000 attempt, I quit my mission and began limping home. I remember it was a cold morning at around 30° on a sunny day, and I had made it to some part of the Blue Ridge Parkway North of Asheville when it happened. Now whine would not have been the descriptor word I would have used when it suddenly started and scarred the bejesus out of me. It was more like one of them old timey sirens you had to wind up with a crank, The faster I went the louder it got. When I'd slow down it would settle down to an almost tolerable decibel level. ALMOST.

I put up with it all I could til I happened to be going by the Yamaha Stealership in Asheville where I pulled in for some advice. They had none nor did they have a clue what could be causing it. But they had no problem with letting me peel my leathers off and warm up in their little customer lounge, which was pretty nice as I recall, while I ate their donuts, drank their coffee, plugged into their power with my laptop and phone charger where I could access the internet and reach the real Yamaha experts, Venturerider.org. who of course knew exactly what the problem was and what to do about it.

I believe it was probably GeorgeS out of Seattle that told me to unscrew the Speedo cable fitting from the left side of the front wheel hub, pull the cable out , and screw the empty cable housing connector back on the wheel. He told me to put the extracted cable in the trunk and when I got home he would talk me through the fix, which he did as always with mind numbing detail. GOD BLESS GEORGES FOR THE HELP HE HAS GIVEN ME THROUGH THE YEARS. He also explained that I would not have any Speedo but I also wouldn't have to listen to that beotch whine all the way home.

Sure wish something that simple would have worked on either one of my ex wives.

How's that for a CTFW story?

See,, that story right there is exactly why I LOVE this place = VERY VERY WELL DONE BROTHER!!!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Gotta say too,, I personally know GeorgeS = guy is a GENIUS and total GURU!! Sure seems like folks like George have gotten on shorter supply around here.. Still numerous geniuses around but seems like more and more are sort of disappearing from the forums.. I was thumbing thru the maintenance records that "DenDen" kept on the Tweeksis as her previous owner - now that person right there was another guru!!

Yep,, to know of the likes of GeorgeS is a true honor aint it brother!!

Darnit you all let the Porky out of his Cage on that, And Lastly NOT NO BUT O HECK NO!!! WE do NOT want to Be SEEING THAT I will get blinded for life as I am sure the rest of us would too LOL

See @Kretz ,, what'd I tell ya,,, this is EXACTLY how things get out of hand!! :stirthepot::witch_brew::hihi:

I took my speedometer out of the cluster to work on it. Too many delicate parts in there for me to be comfortable just spraying or pumping stuff into it.

I found that the drive didn't have much clearance to the bearing (probably a good thing). I used a NEW cable sheath (someone stuck me with a tachometer cable years ago). Sprayed a little brake clean into the bearing, spun it a bit, packed tissue inside the speedometer, attached the cable sheath and blew through with compressed air. Repeated until I felt I'd got the grime out.

Then after it had a chance to dry I filled the sheath with lithium grease, attached to the speedometer and hit it with the compressed air. Took apart, spun it, repeat. I did that until the new lithium grease began to appear inside the speedometer.

Put a little lithium grease on the gears and put it back together. It's been quiet as a mouse since, but haven't put many miles on it.

BTW, when the needle starts jumping it's either the cable or the bearing is worn out.

I took my speedometer out of the cluster to work on it. Too many delicate parts in there for me to be comfortable just spraying or pumping stuff into it.

I found that the drive didn't have much clearance to the bearing (probably a good thing). I used a NEW cable sheath (someone stuck me with a tachometer cable years ago). Sprayed a little brake clean into the bearing, spun it a bit, packed tissue inside the speedometer, attached the cable sheath and blew through with compressed air. Repeated until I felt I'd got the grime out.

Then after it had a chance to dry I filled the sheath with lithium grease, attached to the speedometer and hit it with the compressed air. Took apart, spun it, repeat. I did that until the new lithium grease began to appear inside the speedometer.

Put a little lithium grease on the gears and put it back together. It's been quiet as a mouse since, but haven't put many miles on it.

BTW, when the needle starts jumping it's either the cable or the bearing is worn out.

So I was right with the white lithium grease. I always knew that the world would be a much better place if more folks listened to what I had to say.

Oh yea, my initial reaction when I read the title to this thread was "make the bitoch get off and walk".

Sure wish something that simple would have worked on either one of my ex wives.

I always knew that the world would be a much better place if more folks listened to what I had to say.

:bowdown:

I wish you were my neighbor. I think we'd get on well, most of the time.

The clearance in the speedometer head is so tight I can't imagine getting any general purpose grease in there. The nice thing about the spray lithium is it's carried in a solvent which makes it thin. In fact, my current can seems to spray mostly solvent. It still took a bit of effort to get the grease worked completely through the bearing.

It is funny how these things happen in the middle of nowhere. I was riding down a road near the Inner Banks of North Carolina in the backwater area one morning a long way from home and then all of a sudden, as been noted here, the sudden noise scared the crap out of me. I had no idea what caused it, but when I pulled over, it stopped. Now I was really confused. The crazy thing about this is it is so loud that it is difficult to tell where the noise is coming from.

It may have not done it again on this trip and I did finally figure out what caused it. I took the speedo out and put grease down in the inside around the sleeve/bearing and was ok for a while. I later on did the screw on fitting with the grease fitting and have had no more problems. I think this is the best way as it forces grease into the area between the bearing and the housing.

Randy

Edited by Venturous Randy

Ya know... Everyone is saying to lube the speedo cable is to unscrew it from the back of the speedo and inject..stuff.. to lube the thing. When messing with mine I found that all I had to do was remove the cable at the axle fitting, pull out the cable, and raise the cover so the head is above the level of the dash. Then you can add any type lo-viscosity lube in the end and it will flow up to...or down in this case..to the speedo head. You can also wipe some on the cable and put it back in and screw the end back into the axle gear. This is on a 1stGen. See all the above suggestions for a 2nd.... I think?? :whistling:

:bowdown:

I wish you were my neighbor. I think we'd get on well, most of the time.

The clearance in the speedometer head is so tight I can't imagine getting any general purpose grease in there. The nice thing about the spray lithium is it's carried in a solvent which makes it thin. In fact, my current can seems to spray mostly solvent. It still took a bit of effort to get the grease worked completely through the bearing.

I'd love to have a tech savvy venturerider like you as a neighbor but, it's too cold and the riding season is too short up there where you live.

Ever thought a about moving south?

I'd love to have a tech savvy venturerider like you as a neighbor but, it's too cold and the riding season is too short up there where you live.

Ever thought a about moving south?

Yes, but only as far as Northern Ohio. I don't do humidity well.

Plus, you'd be a bad influence. I've got one ex-wife and that's enough.

cowpuc

The fitting I have that was made by another member just screws onto the back of the speed and has a grease Zerk on it. I use what ever is in my grease gun that I use on the front steering linkage of my cages. Ill see if I can find a pic of this tool.

edit

Here are the threads, Hopefully Freebird will be able to find these old pics.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?67738-Only-3-left-Speedo-Bearing-Coupling-Grease-Tool

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?65506-Anyone-have-a-broken-1st-Gen-MKII-speedometer-cable

@Flyinfool the pictures have been restored.

Flyinfool the pictures have been restored.

Thanks to all for their comments. I did pull the cable and sleeve. The sleeve and cable looked wet, but I blew the sleeve out with brake cleaner and let it hang for a while. I was able to squirt some lithium lube up into the speedometer fitting. I did the same with the sleeve and reassembled it all. Took it out for a test ride and the howl kicked in about 60 MPH, but quit after about 30 seconds and never returned that afternoon. Of course it was in the afternoon and warm. I rode it to work the next morning when it was cooler, and it did start again as I hit the freeway, but again it quit after about 30 seconds. I have not been out since then, but will see what happens. If i can put a couple hours together, I will pull the instrument cluster see if i can do a better job of getting the lube into the bearing. Seems like the next step, unless someone has one of those fittings they are willing to part with. But now that I know what it is, I am not concerned about riding it. Still got a month or two if Ohio weather cooperates.

Thanks again.

Mark.

Two things, go to a motocross shop. they had e a little doo-hickey that attaches to a can of spray lube that clamps onto the end of a cable to pressure lube the entire thing.https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=cable+luber&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=153632845593&hvpos=1t1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=13059577202370187916&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9012141&hvtargid=kwd-1793470301&ref=pd_sl_4fmca47m1k_e

The other is, that I thought that all 1st gen's whined a bit, then at the last meet and eat turned out it was the owners:225:

You keep riding and squealing and you will be looking for another speedometer, soon. :backinmyday:

You need to unplug it or take the cable out.

Randy

Yes, that squealing is telling you that you have metal to metal contact in the speedometer drive. It's wearing fast.