IGNORED

02 venture, mayday, tecumacari, nm

I have a problem don't know if it's bad or badder.

I left weatherford, ok this morning after visiting daughter at school. On i 40 got to the New Mexico state line and stored at rest area. Heard a high pressure whistle, thought it was a semi. Went to facilities and add I got closer to the bike it wad obvious coming from midnight. Took a bit to find it.

Battery is seriously overheating and was venting, I could see the exit point.

No services closer by so I risked going on to tucumicari.

Found a tiny Kmart, and bought s volt meter, voltage is still good 13.5v with bike of for 10 minutes.

This Is a 2 week old battery.

I doubt I can find one here in the morning, and it is a long ride to Albuquerque.

Anyone have any suggestions on what to check. Ever seen as regulator go nuts on an 02 and overcharge, our did i maube get a bad Wal-Mart special

Being over 1000 miles from home I'm really nervous about trying to continue.

I had plan on going to Gallup tonight and then up into Colorado and home. Now I hope I can just get to someplace that I can get it stable enough to get home.

Anyone in the area of tecumicari,?

I don't normally list my cell phone but in case anyone has suggestions. 812 917 9608,

Going to risk one more hot mile to go get some food.

Bob evinger

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not checked well. I started it in the knart lot and took it up a bit off idle and didn't see voltage go up, but with battery as hot as it was I was more concerned initially about getting to a room.

At restaurant now, then back to motel, will give a few hours to cool down. Tough that is relative, saw a thermometer that did 101

Indeed that does sound like a Regulator issue. Agree with Don,, do a voltage test at the battery with the bike running,, it should show 12 to 13 volts at idle and then jump to 14.5 volts max with throttle.. Higher, unregulated voltage will fry a battery.. Be careful in there with a fuming battery - a spark can cause a boom...

I would also double check my connections at the battery - make sure I didnt somehow forget to hook up a ground wire or get something crossed up on hook up of the new batt..

Did you replace the old battery because it was shot - was it kaput because it had been fried? Possibly an ongoing issue not addressed??

I have zero experience with the 2nd Gens but seem to remember reading of regulator issues,, maybe,, maybe not.. May do a quick search.. Seems like I read that the regulator on them is mounted right behind the front wheel.. If so,, is it possible that that area is exposed to a LOT of moisture/mud/rocks whatever and that it might not be a bad idea to look closely there at any terminal connections - maybe you have a bad connection on a ground wire in a terminal causing regulator issues??

The mounting position of the stator wire terminal on the frame of the 1st Gens has been VERY problematic for me thru the years - to the point of not trusting it at all and hard wiring that terminal is manditory for me - I really dont enjoy issues like your experiencing.. Dirt = resistance and resistance = real problems when dealing with that stuff..

Hope ya get it figured out and this helps somehow..

Puc

Doubt if you got a bad battery, had two regulators go bad on me and cause overcharging and boiled the battery. If you run it too long like that it will not only destroy the battery it will also take the stator with it.

Alright,, just thinking this threw in case someone else has an issue like this and needs to travel to a spot where they can repair their scoot..

I have had to run my bike(s) to safety/repair under similar circumstances off battery only on several occasions.. Disconnect everything, including lights and stuff - buy a battery charger (and even a car battery strapped to its side for long range) and head for home.. Not a biggy..

That said.. If a situation happened like you mention Joe,, you think the best way to handle it,, to ride out to safety and protect your stator in the process,, would a person unplug the stator wires and disconnect the faulty regulator so the battery could not discharge thru it.. Then ride out under battery power? Maybe even disconnect the fuel pump = run a full tank of gas so your gravity feeding only?

Ya think spinning that alternator without the wires hooked up and no place for the voltage to discharge would be hard on those coils?? Hmmm,, I think I would assume not.. I think I would go ahead and disconnect it - its not like those windings are electronic - they are still just coils...

Anyone follow my train of thought here?? Joe?

Edited by cowpuc
I spelled "here" = "hear".. As if anyone wants to "hear" about it??

I had replaced the battery couple of weeks ago, it was at 2 1/2 years old, at time seemed like it wss not holding a charge.

When I put this battery in I did a volt check and running the rpms up I did see the battery voltage increasing but I didn't hold r long enough for out to get too much over 14 volts.

I'll follow up with any further information.

This town I don't think is big enough to have a uhaul dealer. Really of frying statots, I'm about ready to do something I really don't like to consider and that is towing home. So much for a restful week of riding the mountains.

I'm from East central Illinois. My wife wife was in weatherford with me but in car and she headed back hone this morning. When I texted her on initially catching the whistle and told her uhh wss I trouble she was going to turn around and cine to me. Trouble is we both had been going on opposite directions fur 5 hours. Told her I'd figure something out. Got the test of the week to get home

The symptoms you described in your initial post are nearly identical to what happened to me with my 07 Venture, fortunately I was at home and the bike in the garage when it happened. Wife noticed a bubbling type noise, that I initially blew off as the radiator blowing of into the overflow bottle. Quickly recognized it as some more ominous, pulled the seal and there was the battery making noise and so hot I could not touch it. Afraid it could blow up I grabbed some gloves and tried to pull the battery. It had swollen up and wedged into the plastic tub it sets in I had to remove the battery and tub as a unit. Finally got the two separated and took the battery back to Batteries Plus when I got a new one, the clerk said I was lucky it did not blow up.

Turns out the rectifier / regulator was bad and over charged the battery. My vote is that you have a bad rectifier / regulator.

Good luck getting home.

Looks like it is the regulator. After letting it sit for a couple of hours, I went out, battery voltage before starting 13.5v idling about sane, giving it throttle out cane up to about 14.2. I held it there for several minutes and was about ready to give up and the regulator broke over, voltage jumped to 17.

Amarillo looks to be closest, 111 miles, there is a yamaha dealer there, whether they can do anything is something else.

I was just going to head down that road of an intermittent regulator, but you beat me to it.

17V will toast the battery,

If you can use Pucs method of disconnecting everything you can, check the electrolyte level if you can, charge the battery and head for the nearest shop. Another option if you have tools, is to order a new RR shipped by next day air so you can install it tomorrow and be on your way. Odds are that this battery is not long for this world. Also keep an eye on all the light bulbs, 17V will stress them to.

I ordered a regulator next day from a place in Tennessee but it well be Wednesday before it gets here. Ordered too late for tomorrow.

Though my wife is looking at borrowing her brothers trick and trailer to come get me.

This had really bummed me out, need to get my mountain fix every few years.

There is a Napa in town and the k Mart, it looks like ask I really need is a small ratchet set to get the bolts loose that hold the regulator on.

Looks like this battery is bloated like the other responder had happen, sitting right in the tray.

I had enough omens before leaving home I should have known better. 2 days before I left, I pulled a long antique nail out of the back tire and had to fix that.

Sharps Power sports is good i used them in June when my bike broke down in the other direction.

Look at the site and find the guys in Amarillo -- Steve I came out and helped me Maybe you get someone to come tow you to Dealer

If I had time off i would already be on the road.

John

For moment I'll wait on the regulator and hope it gets here Wednesday if not I'm going to be in desperation mode. If not obvious, posting at 330 mountain time, I'm sleeping like crud worrying about this.

I've had this bike a little over 6 years and put 40k on out a lot of that vacation riding and just using it for general transportation.

Flipping between total bummed that the trip flopped and wondering what is next

Napa had several batteries in stock. Lots of bikes go through here so maybe that is why they well stocked motorcycle batteries. Bought a ratchet set and au joint that I have verified I can get on the bolts and loosened the ones on the bad regulator.

Now just hoping that post shows up tomorrow.

Waiting on package, found out that the tiny ups depot I'd in town and went and the"full to then last night. They are going to pull the package so I can pick it up when it get here, should be several hours sooner than if I have to wait on it here at motel.

But ups tracking shows a flight deejay, it got to Albuquerque at 5am, they have a small cargo plane that flies into the local airport. Originally was ti be here about 1030, hoping it is close to that time.

Going to be optimistic and load the bike up but not check out until last minute.

I wss able ti get the regulator unbolted yesterday, I did not try to do it down and unhook, I hope the plug is not a bear to unhook, but I'm ready going to be heading home later today,

Think positive

I was just going to head down that road of an intermittent regulator, but you beat me to it.

17V will toast the battery,

If you can use Pucs method of disconnecting everything you can, check the electrolyte level if you can, charge the battery and head for the nearest shop. Another option if you have tools, is to order a new RR shipped by next day air so you can install it tomorrow and be on your way. Odds are that this battery is not long for this world. Also keep an eye on all the light bulbs, 17V will stress them to.

I had a problem with the 17vdc on the '99 just before leaving for Cody Wy in 2011. I didn't have time to replace the rectifier before heading out, but did toss a better than OEM in the saddle bag. I rode for 3 and a half days and 1300 miles on that battery, and it finally died in Thermopolis, 80 miles south of Cody. It just ran out of amps... So I bought another from a Southern Auto and rode the rest of the way. The battery was a DEKA and it registered 8.9vdc when it died. The new one was a generic wet cell that lasted about another 100+ miles before dying, but it made it. When I got to Cody I put the DEKA on the charger in the motel room over night and it recharged to full by morning. I put it back in the bike and it's still in there. Dano swapped out the rectifiers and it was business as usual on the way back. So..... it's not the voltage that will boil a battery, but the AMPS.... IMHO

Yes takes voltage and current to produce power, and I was so tempted to just put new battery in and head home and watching the battery temps, not sure who makes this new battery I picked up at Napa but at least from a battery post standpoint the construction of this battery looks significantly better than the Wal-Mart battery. I've been trying to figure when the regulator got flakey. I took my 22 yo daughter with me on a memorial day ride from East centrsl Illinois down to Nashville and the full natchez trace and then interstates home. Suspect it went out after that, but other than my long rides it's mostly lots of local ridden with an occasional trio to Indianapolis which is about 2 hours one way.

I'll know something about the ups delivery in about an hour.