IGNORED

Buy Back The Totaled Bike

Rick Haywood

As most know I totaled my Bike the 19th of May. In Illinois you can not buy a totaled bike back from your insurance company or a totaled bike from the salvage yard. Yea I know stupid **** right. Anyway it will be for sale by the salvage yard online and I believe it will go for very little money. It is loaded with extras I will try and list the stuff in case one of you might want to try and buy the thing. I'm thinking the thing may go for a few hundred dollars so here is the list

Carb covers $90

twinkie covers $90

saddleman seat and passenger back rest $650 I have the drivers backrest here at the house I will send it if someone buys the bike

Chrome tank mount covers $129

Trailer hitch $160

Carbon One crash bar braces $60

Tank Bib abd gas cap cover Ace High $275

Chrome side covers $160

Diamond Cut Silver heads $400

Access panel chrome covers $90

Diamond R Passenger Highway pegs $275

Bottom fork end cps Chrome $175

Chrome Luggage rack on trunk $209

The radio controller is still working $550 cost new if you can find used about $250

Brand new E3 tires front and back $325 wheels are still good

Total $3638

I know I am forgetting a few things but this is a pretty good list

If you want to know more please feel free to contact me.

If you go to the salvage yards web site it will tell you what you need to do to bid

link

https://www.copart.com/lot/30249257/

COPART

ATTN: LOT# 30249257

451 BLACKHAWK TRAIL RD

ELDRIDGE, IA 52748

As most know I totaled my Bike the 19th of May. In Illinois you can not buy a totaled bike back from your insurance company or a totaled bike from the salvage yard. Yea I know stupid **** right. Anyway it will be for sale by the salvage yard online and I believe it will go for very little money. It is loaded with extras I will try and list the stuff in case one of you might want to try and buy the thing. I'm thinking the thing may go for a few hundred dollars so here is the list

Carb covers $90

twinkie covers $90

saddleman seat and passenger back rest $650 I have the drivers backrest here at the house I will send it if someone buys the bike

Chrome tank mount covers $129

Trailer hitch $160

Carbon One crash bar braces $60

Tank Bib abd gas cap cover Ace High $275

Chrome side covers $160

Diamond Cut Silver heads $400

Access panel chrome covers $90

Diamond R Passenger Highway pegs $275

Bottom fork end cps Chrome $175

Chrome Luggage rack on trunk $209

The radio controller is still working $550 cost new if you can find used about $250

Brand new E3 tires front and back $325 wheels are still good

Total $3638

I know I am forgetting a few things but this is a pretty good list

If you want to know more please feel free to contact me.

If you go to the salvage yards web site it will tell you what you need to do to bid

link

https://www.copart.com/lot/30249257/

COPART

ATTN: LOT# 30249257

451 BLACKHAWK TRAIL RD

ELDRIDGE, IA 52748

I did forget It has the long light bar under the trunk (Brake and Tail light)

It also has the custom dynamics LED light board tail light (89 LED"S)

All the electric still work and the motor cranks but doesn't start I am sure something minor

Very nice. I almost bought one before I found the Midnight Venture that I decided on. Read too many complaints about heat so decided against it. Let us know how it works out.

Thanks Don I will keep you informed on the new bike. I also read the complaints about heat but can't imagine it being that hot since it is water cooled.

Ive never heard of something as stupid as not being allowed to do an in insurance buy back. Sounds Californian, but I guess IL doesnt surprise me either. Someone can buy it, just not you? If you want it back PM me, I'm not in IL but Im sure there is a way to help reunite man and machine. I have a special place in my heart for stupid intrusive laws after living in CA and WA.

Ive never heard of something as stupid as not being allowed to do an in insurance buy back. Sounds Californian, but I guess IL doesnt surprise me either. Someone can buy it, just not you? If you want it back PM me, I'm not in IL but Im sure there is a way to help reunite man and machine. I have a special place in my heart for stupid intrusive laws after living in CA and WA.

If you live here you can't buy it because of the salvage title. Plus if you live in Illinois the salvage yard can not sell it to you. You can go through a broker but it costs you $650 up front plus the cost of the bike. Not being able to buy it back was the reason I changed my mind on buying a venture I found. 06 midnight with 18,000 miles for $4500 but added up the cost to make it the way I wanted and decided against it. I also wanted fuel injected. I hope I made the correct decision. time will tell

The wrecked bike I bought salvaged and rebuilt and I couldn't register the thing in Illinois because of their stupid laws. So I had to have a buddy title it in his name in Indiana as rebuilt then when he got the rebuilt title in Indian he sold the bike back for a $1 and zi then could title it in Illinois because it was rebuilt not salvage. Asinine Politicins

If you live here you can't buy it because of the salvage title. Plus if you live in Illinois the salvage yard can not sell it to you. You can go through a broker but it costs you $650 up front plus the cost of the bike. Not being able to buy it back was the reason I changed my mind on buying a venture I found. 06 midnight with 18,000 miles for $4500 but added up the cost to make it the way I wanted and decided against it. I also wanted fuel injected. I hope I made the correct decision. time will tell

The wrecked bike I bought salvaged and rebuilt and I couldn't register the thing in Illinois because of their stupid laws. So I had to have a buddy title it in his name in Indiana as rebuilt then when he got the rebuilt title in Indian he sold the bike back for a $1 and zi then could title it in Illinois because it was rebuilt not salvage. Asinine Politicins

I live in South Dakota, we absolutely have asinine politicians (Rounds, Dugaard, Noem), the worst of the worst, but we are not too overregulated as a state yet. Im always honored to push back and defy stupidity, thought I could help you get your bike or part it out. I did t even notice you needed a broker. Darn.

I live in South Dakota, we absolutely have asinine politicians (Rounds, Dugaard, Noem), the worst of the worst, but we are not too overregulated as a state yet. Im always honored to push back and defy stupidity, thought I could help you get your bike or part it out. I did t even notice you needed a broker. Darn.

Thanks for the thought. But if you do not live in Illinois you do not need a broker. In Illinois you have to be licensed to buy salvage title

Thanks for the thought. But if you do not live in Illinois you do not need a broker. In Illinois you have to be licensed to buy salvage title

Thats good. Im glad you got another beautiful scoot and it worked out. In my experience insurance buybacks are usually silly cheap and well worth it for parts. I guess its not so simple in IL. I figured I could lend a hand helping you at least get your upgrades back, and my reward is defiance of absurd legislation, such defiance warms my heart and leaves me with a pleasant glow :cool10:

After posting here I was thinking about how many decades its been since I've seen a state vehicle inspection or emissions testing station, or paid over $70 to get my plates/tabs for a car or bike.

Did you ever find out what happened to the tire to lock it up?

Sent from my LG-K371 using Tapatalk

No I wasn't able to. I did talk with the salvage yard and they said they got it in neutral and the back wheel/tire would only move about 4-5 inches either way before it stopped. I am guessing it was something with the driveshaft. Could be it was a tiny bit messed up from the original totaled wreck before I bought and rebuilt it. It never gave me any indications of a problem til it did what it did to cause the accident. Guess I will never know for sure

Sounds like the brokers have a tight hold on the politicians. Illinois is a weird state for regs. It is hard to believe a California clone is in the middle of the US. But an Illinois highway patrolman, who was very pro Constitutional Carry, once told me "Chicago runs the state and we all know its history".

Let us know how you like the Voyager. I was close to that when I bought my RSV. At that time though Kawi had not yet owned up to the heat issue. They later fixed it and retro fitted the earlier bikes. Like 2011 or so. Also if the emissions stuff has been um ah modified it may help the engine heat too. The XCT Victory are that way. Take CATs out and engine temp goes down significantly. Join the Kawasaki.org forum I think it is and there are some guys that have good info.