IGNORED

So how do you suppose this scam works?

M61A1MECH

I posted a Nordic track elliptical trainer on Craigs list, got an offer by text message asking for name and address.

I replied with the requested info and also asked for them to identify them self.

I then another text with no identification info, but telling me that they would send me a cashier's check in two days and then arrange pick up, there would be additional money in the check to cover paying the movers when they arrived and I would use that extra money to pay them.

I replied that he should consider the transaction as canceled and advised him not to send the check, as I would void it and return it if he did.

So how would this play out, the mover gets there and claims the funds I was given are not sufficient and demands more, or the cashiers check is bogus and I am on the hook for a bad check plus loss of my property?

interesting to see how this plays out from here. :confused:

Somebody must be falling for this scam, otherwise they would stop trying. I've had the same experience with many other things on craigslist. It's usually easy to see thru the scams. I always say "local pickup only" and "scammers, don't waste my and your time , cuz I'm wise to you".

I am however, sending my bank account info to the guy in Nigeria so I can get half of the $15 million he will send me.:sign woo hoo:

G

It's not just this one, but there are a couple others that seem to work.

"Hello, I can see that you have some problems with your computer, luckily I can fix it over the phone",

"This is the IRS, we're commencing with a lawsuit against you, to prevent garnishment and possible arrest you must call this number immediately to satisfy the account."

I dont get these calls anymore but I have an elderly client that gets several a week like these. It's heartbreaking that someone can prey on the elderly like that.

I have on a couple occasions had scammers want to overnight me a check. I let them do it at their expense, then I just hand it off to the sheriff. At least that way I could cost the scammer some $$. I think it's costs around $20 to overnight a phony check. I told one scammer that I would overnight the difference if he slipped a $20 bill in with the check, and he DID! All I had to do was play along with my dummy voice. I play with all the scammers that call, thats why I believe they dont call me anymore. I've allowed them to hold indefinitely while I "go to my car and get my credit card". I used to get mad but now it's a sport, the annoying ones are the robocalls, cant play with those.

One that has worked here & caught a LOT of people. Something along these lines

This is the CRA (Canada Revenue Agency) your account is in arrears. You must pay immediately, we have informed the police who are coming to arrest you. To avoid arrest you must immediately obtain iTunes gift cards in the sum of $$$$$ (hundreds to thousands). People have actually done this! One lady was on the news recently, & out $2500 (I think they wanted $5k in total).

I'm not sure how the scammer gets hold of the gift cards, whether they have to be sent somewhere or what.

My bet it will come on a Wells Fargo cashiers check. My wife got caught up in one of these and she turned the check over to the police after talking to Wells Fargo. They called and asked what she did with the check so she told them, they called her a ***** and never ask for the check back. They also used the throw away phones and use a different number every time.

The ones I get spoof? I Had one, one time call and it said Newton County Sheriff. Guy had a very heavy accent, he got pissed when I told I called the Newton County Sheriffs department. He called me a ****** idiot that dispatch won't know nothing about the Warrant. I politely told him there was no foreigners here other then mexicans and Islanders which sound nothing like you. It is amazing what these Foreignors will try to do. About this time last year the news had us in a scare over Posible Muslims buying a crap load of cell phones I think the lady tried to purchase 50 of them all together. People were saying there planning to blow something up. Only a few thought well we are gonna be getting calls from the IRS.:rotf:

The one I love is the caller saying he is with the Sheriff (or police) and wants me to donate to them and they will send me a window sticker, etc. that just might get me out of a ticket. I usually lie and ask them if they know I AM a police officer!! That is usually followed by a "click" from them...

Yup, get the IRS scam, once told them I was glad they called, please send the police over immediately as I was desperate and just shot my wife...

Yes, my friend, that is exactly how the scam works, the check is bogus, are you are out your item plus some hefty banking fees for insufficient funds, etc...

Some of these crooks were working a scam over around Tampa and St Pete. Calling saying were cops or law enforcement and you owe them money for parking tickets, traffic tickets or something like that, that is unpaid or in a rears. But you can correct the fines with some kind of "green" gift cards or I tunes this kind of cards. All they need is the ID number off the card and bang good as cash.

Some of these crooks were working a scam over around Tampa and St Pete. Calling saying were cops or law enforcement and you owe them money for parking tickets, traffic tickets or something like that, that is unpaid or in a rears. But you can correct the fines with some kind of "green" gift cards or I tunes this kind of cards. All they need is the ID number off the card and bang good as cash.

Thats to rich to even be true, even the IRS ones were reportedly allowing victims to pay it using gift cards. Now if that doesnt raise a read flag then I would suggest that the victim is better off without money than with it. Wow!

If you get anyone from the IRS or city/state making claims just give them your lawyers phone number, if it's real then you will know soon enough.

I've had Habieb call and say ' you are having problems with your computer". I say nope works fine. "No you have a virus on your computer and we can fix your microsoft windows". Oh yea? Which computer? " Your computer you use". Hmm Funny it works fine. "You have a hidden virus on it and microsoft needs to fix it" Oh yea well wich computer and what version of windows? Crickets!! Hello! Which computer? I have 2 desk tops, 2 lap tops and 2 tablets so can you tell me which one has the issue? Crickets, then dial tone.

I would love to be smart enough to have a virus loaded on a lap top, let them connect to it and zap them with it.

And then they pull this kind of crap:

CHEROKEE COUNTY, Ga. - A Cherokee County couple says a con artist called SWAT on them when they refused to fall for his scam.

It happened Monday afternoon in Canton.

The victims say the scammer claimed to be with the IRS and demanded $2,600. When they refused, he said he would call police on them.

When they hung up, that’s exactly what he did, claiming there was an active shooter inside the victims’ home.

“I mean, it could've been a totally different scenario, and believe me, it's frightening,” said the homeowner, who did not want to be identified.

He says he’s still worried that if a vindictive scam artist went so far as to do that, he could do something else.

“It's horrifying to know that you can be in your own house, and something like that can happen over a scam,” he told Channel 2's Richard Elliot.

In 911 calls, you can hear the alleged scammer telling the dispatcher he’s the victim’s son and that there was an active shooter in the house.

“Yes, right now. That’s why I call. It’s very urgent,” the man says.

Cherokee County deputies, with their guns drawn, surrounded the house as the 911 operator tried to get more information.

“I have more than one or two officers. I've got about five officers outside of your house, and I need you to step out the door,” she said to the man.

© 2016 Cox Media Group. 

The homeowner says deputies spotted his wife out back and quickly realized it was all a hoax.

Deputies say it’s a dangerous situation for law enforcement and citizens.

“Their adrenaline is flowing pretty hard, and you just don't know what's going to happen so it's very dangerous,” Lt. Jay Baker said.

Investigators believe the call may have come from somewhere inside India so they admit that there's very little, if anything, they can do.

“I just hope there’s some way to put a stop to it before some innocent people get hurt,” the homeowner said.

© 2016 Cox Media Group.

My son was selling his atv on craigs. He got the same call and offer with a text and showed it to me. I informed him that that was a scam and not to give any info. And to inform them that it would be local pick up only. He got a call from someone in Ohio and he wanted to come pick it up on Friday. They met at a Lowe's parking lot and he sold it for $2,000.00 and the guy paid cash.