IGNORED

Hmmm. Kawi is tempting....but.....

BigLenny

Stopped by our local Kawasaki shop today. They had a 2016 brand new Vulcan Voyager with ABS on the showroom floor. Black and silver. Really pretty bike. The owner caught me sitting on it and said, "I'll make you a great deal on that bike to move it out the door. It lists for $17600.00, but I could sell that to you for around $13,400.00, maybe even closer to $13,000.00 even." I told him I'm not really sure I'm ready to trade just yet, but I might bring my wife back and test ride it. But, Inside my mind I was thinking, "what the heck?!" We all know this bike, and have discussed it fairly extensively on the site, and have had discussions about Kawasaki list pricing this machine really low compared to other full dressers in the market. We've had discussions about the windshield being thinner and flimsy, and the saddlebags and trunk being of lighter weight plastic, which is why Kawi could make the list price in the $17K range instead of the lower $20K's like the other full dressers in the market. BUT, being able to buy one of these bikes brand new for $13,000.00 makes one kind of go hmmmm. Thats cheap, considering the quality of Kawasaki products, and what you would get with this bike. I know these bikes have been known to have engine heat issues, but Kawasaki has addressed that on the 2012-current units with the fan blower kit unit installed just under the riders seat, and behind the rear cylinder (not sure if it helps that much). But that sure is a tempting price for a liquid cooled full dresser.

Hmmmmmmm.

I landed up buying the very bike you are talking about this spring. It works well and I see no issue with any of the plastics and I worked it over hard this year. It is a MUCH better riding and handling bike. It does have its quirks but every bike does...

I landed up buying the very bike you are talking about this spring. It works well and I see no issue with any of the plastics and I worked it over hard this year. It is a MUCH better riding and handling bike. It does have its quirks but every bike does...

Glad to hear you're happy with your bike! You said it has some quirks. What would you say are some quirks with this bike?

Thanks,

Big Lenny

Tip n I sat on one once,, NICE FEEL!!! Also LOVE the dash board and the fairing design.. Still not really sure why Kawi didnt just complete the design by fully water cooling it as long as they were gonna end up with a radiator = blocking the air flow across the jugs anyway.. IMHO,, thats a lot of bike for the cash when comparing to other like hearted new machines..

I know that Kawasaki installed an external fan to cool the rear jug.. Anyone know if that fan operates off the control for the rad fan? Also,, be interesting to know where the hot air being blown off the rear jug is discharging.. One of the things Tip n I (mostly Tip - one up I actually like running without covers so I can see the motor being a sight stimulated male of the species) have really appreciated about the good ol 1st Gens are the side covers that contain the hot air movement while the engine is being cooled.. One might think that air isnt that warm but we who have had those early "louvers" in the side covers can attest to the fact that even those puppies would deform like the machine we used as kids to make creepy crawlers use to do..

Must admit I was leaning heavily towards a Nomad (a late 1600cc) or preferably a Voyager but was more or less "presented" (long & peculiar story) with the RSTD & the rest as they say is history. Here in Canada a Voyager new is around Cd21k. list they can be had for approx Cd$17K.

Glad to hear you're happy with your bike! You said it has some quirks. What would you say are some quirks with this bike?

Thanks,

Big Lenny

The "quirks" just to call them something are:

1.The transmission has a clunk when shifting from 1st to second gear. It's hard to just snick it into 2nd, it almost always clunks. I have developed shifting techniques to lessen it and now that I have rode it for a season I don't notice it much any more and it is lessening as the miles rack up. Still not nearly as bad of a couple other brands of touring bikes.

2. At creeping 1st gear speed the bike is a little herky-jerky - just off closed throttle at real slow speed bike is not smooth. I've corrected this somewhat by modifying the throttle cable(s) cam like most Voyager owners do. Not a big deal

3. Brakes are very sensitive. Maybe that isn't a bad thing but because of how I have always applied my brakes, I have had to relearn how to brake with these linked brakes. IF you apply some rear brake, then apply some front, the bike will do a quick nose dive just for a milisecond. The first few times I rode the bike with the wife on the back I think she smashed her face into the back of my helmet because of this and the fact that you need very little pressure on the brakes. I have developed techniques for smoother braking in the last 10,000 miles. Don't get me wrong, this bike will stop on a dime!

Lots of people that own the 1700 Voyagers think they run hot. I'll admit they are a little warm but a lot of it's perception in my opinion. Kawasaki installed a very sensitive temperature gauge in the dash and the needle does get over the 1/2 way mark when it is hot outside or in stop and go traffic but mine has never gotten close to the red. the needle moves fairly quickly on the gauge giving the perception it is getting too hot. I'll admit I was watching that gauge like a hawk at first but now it only gets a glance every now and then. Also the rad fan runs a lot during slow speed riding and stop and go adding to the perception of being hot. I've owned newer Harley Ultra's, believe me this bike doesn't run nearly as hot as one of those.

Other than that I like it, has good torque, great all speed handling and rides awesome. I always thought the 2 RSV's that I put many many miles on was the best riding bikes for long distance but It's not even close to as good as this.

Edited by Ace

Tip n I sat on one once,, NICE FEEL!!! Also LOVE the dash board and the fairing design.. Still not really sure why Kawi didnt just complete the design by fully water cooling it as long as they were gonna end up with a radiator = blocking the air flow across the jugs anyway.. IMHO,, thats a lot of bike for the cash when comparing to other like hearted new machines..

I know that Kawasaki installed an external fan to cool the rear jug.. Anyone know if that fan operates off the control for the rad fan? Also,, be interesting to know where the hot air being blown off the rear jug is discharging.. One of the things Tip n I (mostly Tip - one up I actually like running without covers so I can see the motor being a sight stimulated male of the species) have really appreciated about the good ol 1st Gens are the side covers that contain the hot air movement while the engine is being cooled.. One might think that air isnt that warm but we who have had those early "louvers" in the side covers can attest to the fact that even those puppies would deform like the machine we used as kids to make creepy crawlers use to do..

Actually puc, the fan you are speaking of pulls the heat from the rear header pipe and expels it on the left side below the passenger floorboard. I'm actually not sure if it has a separate sensor to turn it on and off but I have checked and it has been running when the rad fan is running.

Ace,

Thanks so much for that review. Sounds like you really like your bike, and thats a good thing. Coming from a former Venture owner, your opinion carry's a lot of weight. And, your final statement about it having a better ride than the Venture is pretty impressive, because that has certainly been one of the Ventures strong points.

Big Lenny

+1 on the THANK YOU for the input ACE!! Nothing like hearing from actual owner/operators when it comes to data gathering:thumbsup:.. I, for one, would be HONORED to see some :photographing:'s of your scoot,, I know,, I KNOW,, I am kind of a pest when it comes to :photographing:'s = flaw in my flawed character as it were :big-grin-emoticon:.. Show it off brother:thumbsup: = would LOVE to see it!!!

Stopped by our local Kawasaki shop today. They had a 2016 brand new Vulcan Voyager with ABS on the showroom floor. Black and silver. Really pretty bike. The owner caught me sitting on it and said, "I'll make you a great deal on that bike to move it out the door. It lists for $17600.00, but I could sell that to you for around $13,400.00, maybe even closer to $13,000.00 even." I told him I'm not really sure I'm ready to trade just yet, but I might bring my wife back and test ride it. But, Inside my mind I was thinking, "what the heck?!" We all know this bike, and have discussed it fairly extensively on the site, and have had discussions about Kawasaki list pricing this machine really low compared to other full dressers in the market. We've had discussions about the windshield being thinner and flimsy, and the saddlebags and trunk being of lighter weight plastic, which is why Kawi could make the list price in the $17K range instead of the lower $20K's like the other full dressers in the market. BUT, being able to buy one of these bikes brand new for $13,000.00 makes one kind of go hmmmm. Thats cheap, considering the quality of Kawasaki products, and what you would get with this bike. I know these bikes have been known to have engine heat issues, but Kawasaki has addressed that on the 2012-current units with the fan blower kit unit installed just under the riders seat, and behind the rear cylinder (not sure if it helps that much). But that sure is a tempting price for a liquid cooled full dresser.

Hmmmmmmm.

I took one out for a looooong test ride a few years back. I really liked it. I watch the dealers on Ebay and they sell new old stock bikes for around that price. Very good value for the dollar in my opinion. Some say the bags and trunk are flimsy. I really did not notice that.......not nearly as much as the Venture clutch whine..............or the cassette deck...........

Really, if your in the market for a different ride and don't want to take out another mortgage, that Kawasaki is the ticket.

I'll admit, I never fell in love with this bike right of the bat as it took some miles to break it in and "learn" how to ride it. I doesn't have quite as much room for rider and passenger than an RSV but I did make some mods so as to create more room. I modified the backrest on the Backup drivers backrest I purchased so it sits lower allowing me to move it back to where its comfortable, then on the passenger backrest, I built new mounts to mount the pad directly to the trunk. How it comes from the factory is that the passenger backrest is rubber mounted to the trunk actually pushing it forward 1". Moving that passenger backrest back that inch made all the difference in the world.

I was surprised it was a better riding bike than the RSV but even my wife who rides most of the miles I put on my bikes said it rides quite a bit better, she sleeps back there a little more on this one.....

Can do full lock slow speed turns with ease.

Absolutely ZERO transmission or clutch whine. At any speed all you hear is the rumble from the pipes.

I replaced the kick stand with one from an older nomad 1600. The voyager from factory comes with a very short kickstand and leans over way too much for my liking. Any kickstand from any vulcan 1500 or 1600 is about 1 1/2 longer and will fit on a voyager , puts the angle better.

Kawasaki's specs on drive belt are WAY too tight. I had a lot of strange noises right off the bat so I did a little research to find that everybody loosens the belt. I set mine to how I used to run the belt on the Harley's I have owned, all the weird noises gone and it actually rode better after adjusting. I did that within the first 100 miles of owning it.

Stock tires suck! I only got 8800 km which is 5500 miles out of the rear and the cords were showing. Kawasaki's spec for pressure in the front tire is only 28 psi! It does ride nice at that pressure but your tire will be cupped badly within the first couple thousand miles. Rear Tire selection is bleak if you stick with stock size which is 170/70/16. I went to a 180/65/16 which is the tire used on '09 up Harley touring so there is lots of selection. I went with the Michelin Commander 2.

I'll post up anything more as I think of it.

And puc, yes I will find some pics of it to post up...

I'll admit, I never fell in love with this bike right of the bat as it took some miles to break it in and "learn" how to ride it. I doesn't have quite as much room for rider and passenger than an RSV but I did make some mods so as to create more room. I modified the backrest on the Backup drivers backrest I purchased so it sits lower allowing me to move it back to where its comfortable, then on the passenger backrest, I built new mounts to mount the pad directly to the trunk. How it comes from the factory is that the passenger backrest is rubber mounted to the trunk actually pushing it forward 1". Moving that passenger backrest back that inch made all the difference in the world.

I was surprised it was a better riding bike than the RSV but even my wife who rides most of the miles I put on my bikes said it rides quite a bit better, she sleeps back there a little more on this one.....

Can do full lock slow speed turns with ease.

Absolutely ZERO transmission or clutch whine. At any speed all you hear is the rumble from the pipes.

I replaced the kick stand with one from an older nomad 1600. The voyager from factory comes with a very short kickstand and leans over way too much for my liking. Any kickstand from any vulcan 1500 or 1600 is about 1 1/2 longer and will fit on a voyager , puts the angle better.

Kawasaki's specs on drive belt are WAY too tight. I had a lot of strange noises right off the bat so I did a little research to find that everybody loosens the belt. I set mine to how I used to run the belt on the Harley's I have owned, all the weird noises gone and it actually rode better after adjusting. I did that within the first 100 miles of owning it.

Stock tires suck! I only got 8800 km which is 5500 miles out of the rear and the cords were showing. Kawasaki's spec for pressure in the front tire is only 28 psi! It does ride nice at that pressure but your tire will be cupped badly within the first couple thousand miles. Rear Tire selection is bleak if you stick with stock size which is 170/70/16. I went to a 180/65/16 which is the tire used on '09 up Harley touring so there is lots of selection. I went with the Michelin Commander 2.

I'll post up anything more as I think of it.

And puc, yes I will find some pics of it to post up...

Now thats what I'm talking about = excellent write up Ace!!:thumbsup: Looking forward to those :photographing:'s!!:big-grin-emoticon:

Puc the Pest...

Hmmmmmmm.

Can get this 2010 for less than 10k IMG_0440.jpg 7500 miles

2010 were some of the ones that needed the retro fit for fans to cool rider. It wasnt actually a recall per-say. Owner still had to pay something I think. If you do much traveling look @ bags too. I think they are smaller than rsv.