IGNORED

I bought a 350$ Venture - only runs on choke and wont rev up

Inflation... Is a *****. I tried the best I could to find another 250$ Venture for a bike abandon trip and I failed. I had to spend 350$ this time for a venture. Owner promises 2nd gear is good however. :)

This particular bike has been sitting for 3 years and I bought it with only the rear cylinders firing.

The bike would start when cold on choke so I cranked it up and only the rear pipes got hot. So I checked the front coils with a new plug. The bike had spark. So I bought new plugs, threw them in and now I have spark on 4 cylinders.

The bike now runs on four and all four pipes and heads gets warm at the same rate.

however the problem I have is that the bike only runs on choke. If I try to rev it it bogs and stumbles. If I remove the choke the bike dies.

Once the bike is hot, it is almost impossible to keep running.

I have not been able to rev it above 3k.

I am thinking I have carb issues.

And I really dont want to pull the carbs unless I really have to.

Any trick I can try my luck at before tackling a carb removal on my new steed?

put a **** ton of sea foam in the tank and some fresh fuel. take it for a little spin and see how much range you can get through and after the bike is nice and hot let it sit over night. do that two or three times. if it doesn't start to wake up the jets are probably clogged and need to be opened up.

There is the shotgun method.

I'm sure Yammer Dan knows what he is talking about but Berryman's scares me because it has acetone in it according to the label. Acetone will dissolve almost anything. So, if there is any chance of it getting to something other than metal, it might dissolve it.

Edited by BlueSky

I'm sure Yammer Dan knows what he is talking about but Berryman's scares me because it has acetone in it according to the label. Acetone will dissolve almost anything. So, if there is any chance of it getting to something other than metal, it might dissolve it.

When having a serious carb problem I use the BerryMans mixed with Marvel Mystery Oil to kind of tame it down. Seems to work good but like you say it has the Acetone so I don't like to use a lot of it like this but if needed:think:??

The Berrymans for a really dirty carb or Seafoam for a less dirty carb is a good place to start. If the jets are completely plugged then no chemical can get in there to open it up and removal and cleaning will be the only hope.

You can also try the shotgunning method, it is in a YouTube vid for cleaning the V-Max carbs.

For my money if someone has any tinkering skills at all, for an internal combustion-powered machine, you're way ahead removing the carbs and doing a thorough cleaning. There's nothing particularly difficult about it and you get intimate and comfortable with the beast real quick. Had to disassemble my carbs three times before I got all the passages clean, kept finding ones I missed. IMO:2cents:

Had a similar venture experience, only mine was given to me. Had not run in years. Pulled air filter and could see slides weren't moving as they should. Ended up pulling carbs to clean/sync. Tried a variety of other things prior and never could clear the clogged idle jets with any in-fuel treatments. Not really that big a job to pull and clean them. You'll be glad u did. Totally different animal when it runs right!

My thumbs did this on a tiny keyboard so cut me some slack!,

Premium doesn't contain ethanol.

Lots of it does contain ethanol.

There are a few stations that sell ethanol free premium.

There are many parts of the country that are required by law to have ethanol in ALL grades of gas for road use, including premium.

Premium also does nothing to help our bikes run better and may even make things worse in certain cases.

Pretty sure that in Ontario premium does not contain ethanol.

Someone contacted Petro Canada (gas chain in Canada) and the response was :

"
At petro-canada branded gas stations, not selling ultra 94, the premium 91 octane gasoline does not contain ethanol.

This is for stations up to the muskoka area and from windsor to belleville..

In northern ontario, north bay, sudbury, s.s. Marie, timmins, thunder bay areas and in eastern ontario for the ottawa areas, including pembroke, cornwall and brockville, both regular and premium gasoline currently do not contain any ethanol."

Shell 91 octane also ontains no ethanol in Canada.

I use 1 oz of Berryman's per gallon in Big Red EVERY time I fill up since right after I got him in 2012.

An old fellow and locally respected gearhead suggested it. He said he runs it in everything he owns from his ‘65 Mustang to his boats, everything with an engine. At first I was a bit apprehensive because of the contents. It has all kinds of things in it besides acetone. Methanol, isopropanol, toluene, MEK (that one right there is the really bad one... bad, bad, bad) I knew about MEK from working on aircraft. It has a few other things in it, too.

But... If it's good enough for Mr. Bill, it's good enough for me.

But, really and truly if you are using an oz per gallon you actually have a pretty minuscule amount of the individual solvents and they each perform a different chemical mechanism. Therefore, if the acetone or the MEK is (I'm guessing) less than 10% each then the concentration of each would be 1/10th ounce per 128 ounces of fuel or 1/1280 (1 part MEK - 1280 parts fuel)...

Probably won't hurt anything.

Now, if you soak the karbs in it or fill them up and let 'em soak for a lengthy period then it probably will eat some rubber.

Not only does it keep the fuel system clean and moisture free but it also enhances the performance... kinda like adding alcohol... Go figure!

As far as @jfman 's problem it does sound like clogged jets, etc and I concur with @flyday58 that disassembly and cleaning will probably do the trick.

YG

I have a station in town that has off road gas. I tried a few tank fulls and did not notice any difference. Other then paying .50 more. But i do use it in my mowers and power washer because they recommend it. Figured it would be away for them to get out of a warranty.

You may have to replace the caps on the ports you hook the carb synch tool to. Mine ran similar to what ur saying and that's what it was. I change them every couple of years. Spray carb cleaner near the caps when it's running, if the rpm increases you've found ur problem. However, carbs sitting that long probably need to be gone through.

Thank you all that chimed in.

Well Guyz I still have the carbs from my Cancun bike and those carbs worked just fine for me. (not 100% perfect but just fine 98%)

I am going to do the Seafoam trick on the old carbs and pour fresh gas in the tank afterwards (I already drained the old gas from the tank)

After this if the bike doesnt run like it should, I am going to pull the carbs and install the carbs from my Cancun bike.

I trust the carbs from the Cancun bike to take me anywhere in North America Afterall.

Cheers!

Edited by jfman