IGNORED

need advise on Venture

Brian D.

Hi all, just sold Suzuki Volusia over weekend and ready to purchase new Venture, sat on one @ Christmas with wife on back and felt good and stable with feet on ground no problem,as i read post on here i see alot of people dropping the venture, that concerns me in that the weight difference from volusia to venture is about 270lbs more. any thoughts or imput appreciated since i want to make a purchase on one in next two weeks and prefer not to drop.. Thanks Brian D.

the longer your inseam, the better you are.

when I got my venture, I practiced in a parking lot, doing tight turns and circles. figure 8's, then I tryed it in the street, now I can pull my trailer, fully loaded, wiht the wife on the back, and turn the bike around in a 18 ft. circle.

I don't know about anyone else, But I throw the bike into the turns, I lay if over like a sports bike.

Enjoy

Brian, I had a Volusia and liked it a lot. You will like the Venture or RSTD even more. You won't have a problem, just use common sense. Ride it a few hundred miles before putting someone on the back and you will be confident.

Congrats in advance.

Guest NanPaw

I put about 700 miles on mine before I doubled up it's heavy but it's a great bike...I am glad I have the weight under me...practice, practice, practice...You will be fine...

P.S. never forget it's heavy.

Blessings, NANPAW

Check out the posts on lowering links and a narrower front tire. I ride with the standard tire and height but others have had success with the mod's. Good luck and enjoy your Venture. You will find that this is a bike you can get on in the morning and ride all day.

Fitz

If I understand correctly, there are only two kinds of riders in the world, those who have dropped their scoots and those who will sometime drop their scoots. That being said, and now in your head, ride to learn and learn to ride. Each scoot has it's good points and it's more difficult issues. You are a human and so can learn to adjust to different situations. The bike is great, but the rider needs to become part of it to be able to master it. As said before, train for some time and you'll love it, but you will always have to respect it.

First Thing to improve low speed handling Is to get rid of stock tires, sell'em on ebuy, and install stock size Avon Venoms. If you can flat feet seating on bike you dont need any lowering or highering kits. Belive me JUST SET OF NEW TIRES GONNA MAKE HUGE DIFERENCE.

And Welcome to Site, Lookink to meet you.

:080402gudl_prv::080402gudl_prv:

Guest k4sfc@bellsouth.net

I've owned 3 GoldWings since 1975, and I test rode the new Victory Vision last week. By myself and then 2-up. My 2008 RSV Still Wins! I'm 5'9" which is about 1" too short for the seat height of the Venture. But I have adjusted to it. My next boot purchase will have extra thick soles and heels. That will help. I dropped mine in the parking lot of the dealer the first time I got on it. Never had any more trouble. Been riding double since the first day. (I was by myself when I dropped it) The cold engine died while I was turning in the parking lot. I was leaning too far to hold it from dropping. Just make sure the engine is warm before starting your ride. You're going to LOVE IT!

I've owned 3 GoldWings since 1975, and I test rode the new Victory Vision last week. By myself and then 2-up. My 2008 RSV Still Wins! I'm 5'9" which is about 1" too short for the seat height of the Venture. But I have adjusted to it. My next boot purchase will have extra thick soles and heels. That will help. I dropped mine in the parking lot of the dealer the first time I got on it. Never had any more trouble. Been riding double since the first day. (I was by myself when I dropped it) The cold engine died while I was turning in the parking lot. I was leaning too far to hold it from dropping. Just make sure the engine is warm before starting your ride. You're going to LOVE IT!

Hi Larry, another amateur radio operator!:thumbsup2: I'm not very active anymore but my call is KD4CLS used to be in ARTS but that was a long time ago.

I'm guessing your still in Louisville and I agree with you. I also test rode a Victory Vision last week at Louisville yamaha myself, also have ridden several Ultras, and the 1800 Wing. For me hands down venture wins! The V-four makes our's a totally unique ride and also they're super comfortable and tight!

So Brian if you're stable with your feet on the ground as stated I would go for it, your gonna love it!

I've had two RSVs, the first after riding a Royal Star for 4 years. The Royal Star is a lighter bike and it took some getting used to the RSV. But time and practice is the secret. One morning I was leaving my house for work on my 06. My driveway has a little curb where it meets the street so there's a little bump. I went out into the street...no sooner had the rear wheel cleared the bump than I gave it a little throttle. The bike stalled,. I was already leaning to the left and down I went. There I lay in the street next to my fallen steed, LAUGHING MY HEAD OFF!!! The neighbors must have thought I was crazy. It was just so funny how it happened. No, no injuries to me or the bike. As others have already said, the Venture is top heavy but manageble, and if you do drop it, it's heavy to pick up. Just take it easy for the first few hundred miles, and I even STRONGLY SUGGEST riding solo for those miles, and you'll do fine. The Venture is a helluva bike....respect it and she'll give you countless miles of enjoyment.

I second this! Get the video, practice in parking lot and use rear brake in slow stop and go speed, and you will have no problems.

I have read of many changes that can be made from tires to lowering kits. My is still stock, I am 5'7" with a 29" inseam, I'll take any turn drag my boards & made full lock U-turns. Go for it you will LOVE it.:080402gudl_prv:

PS the picture below is on the Tail of the Dragon in 07', I'm going back in a few weeks.

I wouldn't worry so much about dropping it. It's bound to happen, they are big bikes and once they start going over it's almost impossible to stop them. Usually they don't do more than scratch the engine guard and saddle bag guard. The first time I dropped mine I was yelling for the wife and kid to come out and help me because I was holding the bike up and couldn't hold it much longer. Well I finally had to let her go and she only went another inch or two. I hurt for days because of trying to hold that thing up. They lay at about a 45 degree angle on the crash bars and saddlebag bars.

Usually the reason for dropping one is because of putting your feet into something slippery or the front tire going into gravel. The main thing you should know is how to get the bugger up after she goes on her side and you are alone.

If you have experience riding with someone on the back I wouldn't worry about having your wife back there. Other than getting smacked in the head every now and then I don't even notice my wife back there. I went from a CB750 to the RSV with a couple years in between and had no problems adjusting or riding two up.

As been said here, avoid the front brake at slow speed. Had to panic stop going downhill exiting a parking lot. Hit the front brake and the next thing I knew I was staring up at the beast. All that weight can turn on you in the right situation. KEEP YOUR LEGS CLEAR IF YOU FEEL IT GOING OVER PAST THE POINT YOU CAN RECOVER IT. One member sustained some major leg damage from being pinned as it went over.

Best purchase I made since buying the bike was the Ride Like A Pro DVD. Jerry knows his stuff. You can really learn some basic stuff that can save you some embarassment or damage to self and scoot!

I dropped mine in front of fellow Venturerider.org members at a M&E. How embarassing.

Also lowering the front or raising the rear can help with stability. I wouldn't bother if I was 6' tall. But I'm 5'8" and every little bit helps me. I originally raised the rear. Its just enough to help handling, but made the back taller which is especially hard for me at walking speed (especially with air in the rear shock).

I plan to put the back down to stock level and lower the front. Also I plan to have Rick Butler lower the seat for me. Tom from Blanco altered his seat and it helped him considerably.

Be cool and Ride Safe, Ponch

Will be heading to the smokey mountains next month,going to ride the Dragon.I have 5000 miles on my dunlop tires still plenty of good rubber left.I have been reading posts on this site about how good the avon venon tires are.what size do i need for the rear and the front.I believe i need a smaller front tire for better handling accordig to what i have read.Oh yes i have a 2006 venture.Did i mention that this is the BEST web site i have ever seen as far as good advice and ideas on the venture.

Will be heading to the smokey mountains next month,going to ride the Dragon.I have 5000 miles on my dunlop tires still plenty of good rubber left.I have been reading posts on this site about how good the avon venon tires are.what size do i need for the rear and the front.I believe i need a smaller front tire for better handling accordig to what i have read.Oh yes i have a 2006 venture.Did i mention that this is the BEST web site i have ever seen as far as good advice and ideas on the venture.

When next month? I should be there on May 11 or 12. Do you have the Blackcherry or the Midnight Venture? I'll keep a look out for any Venture Rider.

I mentioned on this thread the other day that I only dropped my RSV once in a turn with a cold engine that stalled. OH WELL, last night I fell over sideways on the driveway bump riding two-up with the Wife. I should have kept my mouth shut. It scratched the muffler on the RSV, and scratched the driveway. Me, I've got a badly sprained wrist, a jammed hip and a sore back.(I am age 65) The Wife has a sore back. Give us three or four days to quit limping and we'll be fine. I can't blame a cold engine this time. Just a dumb operator.

Rode the Triumph Rocket III yesterday. The pipes sound like a 1955 MG Sports Car. I absolutely love the sound. And "GAWD" the power it's got! The seats are more comfy than the Victory Vision, and a short passenger fits just right on the back. i.e. 5'3". I STILL would not get rid of my RSV for either one. The "Rocket III" is a gas hog. But it sure is fun!

By the way Curt, I tried to send you an email and it came back to me with no reply. We have much more in common than ham radio. The wife and I will be married 45 wonderful years come August. Where can I find you on the ham rig? (frequency wise)