IGNORED

Spark Plug installation

Guest 1154

Figured I would change the plugs before I use the newly aquired Carbtune.

I've looked but seem unable to locate any thread on the proceedure for spark plug installation.

The rear appear a straight forward unscrew and replace. But, how are the front plugs done?

Does the tank have to be moved. And the engine support brackets have to be removed?

What are the torque specs for them?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Be sure to blow out any debris from around the plugs before you remove them. This will eliminate anything falling down into the cylinder. I also used a section of rubber tubing on the end of the plug to reach down and get it started before using a socket, so your sure it's not cross threaded. Yes I removed the tank and one brace at a time. Good luck!

Torque specs http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=514

Ray,

The rear are as you think, strait forward. The front you have to remove the engine braces to access them. Taking the tank off will give you more room to move around and it will make getting the braces off easier. As far as the torque, I have always just torqued by feel as I've been doing it for 30 years. The torque is 13 lbs on the plugs here is other torque specs that are on the site.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=514&highlight=torque+specifications

I was able to replace the front plugs without having to remove either brace. Remove chrome cover ontop of cylinder head use adjustable wrench to loosen plug. Once loose remove wrench and slipe plug up with till you see socket. Remove extension and put finger on socket and slide socket up with plug. Use piece of rubber and slige new plug in and tighten. Insert socket slowly and drop in place then add extension and wrench to tighten.

My freind removed brace and the cross threaded bolt.

Screaming Redf

Guest Dareman

Funny you should ask.......

I just did mine this week-end on my 06 RSMV.

With a Spark Plug extension the rear plugs were no issue. Unscrew and remove.

Front plugs different story.......

I loosened the gas tank and moved it about 6 inches to the rear to give me easy access to the engine brace hex lugs. I removed the engine braces which gave me access to the front plugs using the Spark Plug extention. Unscrew and remove

Replacement with new plugs I tightened them finger tight plus 1/4 inch with the plug extension.

I synched the carbs and I am getting 40MPG as of last night. (In town driving)

I loosened the gas tank and moved it about 6 inches to the rear to give me easy access to the engine brace hex lugs. I removed the engine braces which gave me access to the front plugs using the Spark Plug extention. Unscrew and remove

Replacement with new plugs I tightened them finger tight plus 1/4 inch with the plug extension.

MY THANKS TO THOSE THAT REPLIED.icon14.gif

DAREMAN.......I TAKE IT YOU DID NOT NEED TO DISCONNECT THE FUEL LINES?

I WAS ALSO THINKING OF ADDING A LITTLE BLUE LOCTITE ON REINSTALL OF THE BRACES. IS THIS A GOOD OR NO GOOD IDEA FOR THESE ENGINE BRACES?

• 1 year later...

I am over 8000 Miles and thought that this weekend, Sunday, is a good time to replace all 4 Plugs, Synch Carbs, and check idle. Looks like I don't really have to remove the tank all the way, but if I get the urge to do so, I may attempt to remove it and give me more working room. I am wishing all the luck I can get. :fingers-crossed-emo

FYI (for those who haven't attempted this) ... removing the tank is very easy. Turn off the fuel petcock, remove the fuel line, unscrew and remove the plastic tank cover, remove the seat, un-screw the rear bolt, remove the plastic side covers at the front of the tank, un-screw the 2 side screws, un-hook the wire connector at the top, and pull it off. (I might have missed a step...repeating all this from memory since I've had mine off appx 1/2 dozen times or so)

FYI (for those who haven't attempted this) ... removing the tank is very easy. Turn off the fuel petcock, remove the fuel line, unscrew and remove the plastic tank cover, remove the seat, un-screw the rear bolt, remove the plastic side covers at the front of the tank, un-screw the 2 side screws, un-hook the wire connector at the top, and pull it off. (I might have missed a step...repeating all this from memory since I've had mine off appx 1/2 dozen times or so)

+1 to this. The tank can be off in less than 5 minutes. I was surprised at how easy it was when I first did it (even when everyone else talked about how easy it is.

+1 to this. The tank can be off in less than 5 minutes. I was surprised at how easy it was when I first did it (even when everyone else talked about how easy it is.

ps... when you remove the fuel line from the petcock, hold a rag under it and drain the excess gas (not a lot) from the line....also prevents getting gas all over whatevah. Also, don't be smokin nuffin when yer doing this .... no, it ain't a voice of experience...just common sense LOL

ps... when you remove the fuel line from the petcock, hold a rag under it and drain the excess gas (not a lot) from the line....also prevents getting gas all over whatevah. Also, don't be smokin nuffin when yer doing this .... no, it ain't a voice of experience...just common sense LOL

haha.. Yup, rag and a rubber band - keeps the dirt out too. (A clean golf tee works too, but with the way I golf, I have none that are clean OR still in one piece)

So, I finally did it last Sunday afternoon. Being it the first time, it took me about 1.5 hours total. I took my time and made sure that I did not miss any important step in the process like apply anti-seize on the threads, di-electric on the ceramic portion of the plugs, torqued properly (although I did not use torque wrench...just by feel making sure not to over torque), clean the hard to reach crevices:happy34:, and reinstalled all the parts that I removed...I also applied Blue Loctite on the engine bracket bolts....

I find it a lot easier to remove the tank in order to replace the front plugs. I just can't imagine how hard it would be with the tank in place. You guys are right, the tank is not so hard to remove.

I know a lot of you have seen pics of a Venture with the tank removed, but here are some pics for your viewing. Oh yes, I was also surprised to see NGK plugs installed as OEM equipment...I was expecting to see Denso plugs, I was wrong. I guess this way that actually did replace plugs on the Venture with the same exact ones that came off.

After two days of riding, I have noticed that my bike feels a lot more responsive on the throttle or could it be just my imagination...Gas mileage, I'll have to find that out on my next full tank.