IGNORED

Screwed up my keyboard on my laptop

Venturous Randy

Done something real stupid.

First of all, I spilled some pancake syrup on keyboard near the space bar and got some sticky keys. So, I got the bright idea that I would pour a little alcohol on the sticky keys. It freed up the keys, and then ALL the keys stopped working. I am currently typing this on my on screen keyboard, not touch screen, which I did not know existed. What is also making this real frustrating is I recently converted to Win 10 and everything is hard to find.

I removed the battery for a few minutes and that did not help.

Anyone got any suggestions?

Randy

Hopefully you unplugged the keyboard before pouring alcohol on it. If not then you will probably need a new one.

There are a number of ways to clean a gummed up keyboard. Probably the most common is to pry off each keypad then use a cotton swab with alcohol to remove the sticky stuff.

Here are some instructions for doing it in the dishwasher.

Randy,

The keyboards are normally easy to replace. What make and model of laptop do you have?

I have a Compaq CQ56. I just ordered a new keyboard off ebay for $10. I also need to replace the headphone jack while I am in it. How difficult will this be? I replaced the trans in my 83 with a 2nd gen trans so it can't be harder than that.

Randy

I have a Compaq CQ56. I just ordered a new keyboard off ebay for $10. I also need to replace the headphone jack while I am in it. How difficult will this be? I replaced the trans in my 83 with a 2nd gen trans so it can't be harder than that.

Randy

It is a little more involved.

but if you put a 2nd gen trans in to a 1st gen you should be able to do it. BTW do you have any pictures of the trans swap?

I can use the screen keyboard that is triggered by the mouse pointer. Now my problem is I am getting some feedback from the reg kb like there are stuck keys and it will fill up a page like this '''''''''''''''''''''''''///////////////////]]]]]]]]]]]]] and I have a hard time getting it to stop. There does not feel like any keys are stuck.

Thanks for video.//

Well, $9.98 with free shipping and about 10 minutes and I now have a new keyboard. I could have never imagined how easy is was and watching the noted videos made all the difference. I kept thinking I did not have all the screws out because there was still pancake syrup keeping it stuck together.

I cleaned it up and put it back together and it's just like new. I will say that with me going to Win 10 and having the On Screen Keyboard feature, it really helped.

Thanks for the responses as this place is just great. :cool10:

Randy