IGNORED

Isn't that a lot of weight?

Trader

Took my front wheel in to get a new Avon Cobra installed....they ended up putting 33/4 ounces to balance it.

That just seems like a lot....11 pieces of 1/4 oz!!!!! There already were 5 on there....they had to add 6 more.

Are Avon that badly made?

Is that an unusual amount?

The problem is that Avon doesn't mark the light spot on the tire. If you get the heavy side of the tire on the heavy side of the wheel you can need a lot of weight.

You're at 2.75 oz., not unreasonable. What I don't understand is adding six to the five already on there. They should have stripped off the old weights before balancing. Are all the weights together, or spread around the wheel?

We mount and balance custom GM wheels for GM dealers and before we add any weight we, do a ''FORCE BALANCE'' to eliminate weight.

Never heard of them doing it to a motorcycle wheel and tire, but I'll bet drag racer do.

It's where, after balancing the wheel and tire, before you put any weight you deflate the tire and where it showed you needed weight

mark the wheel and tire with a wax and spin the tire 180 degs. And complete balance if it still shows excess weight you have to just keep repeating turning the tire one way or the other until the need for weight almost goes away.. We have found the tires are usually what is out of balance from manufacture, but this usually works to lessen the weight needed. They also call this process "INDEXING"

Took my front wheel in to get a new Avon Cobra installed....they ended up putting 33/4 ounces to balance it.

That just seems like a lot....11 pieces of 1/4 oz!!!!! There already were 5 on there....they had to add 6 more.

Are Avon that badly made?

Is that an unusual amount?

In my opinion thats to much for a bike wheel. I typically wont even put that much on a car tire. Before even mounting the new tire, they should have stripped off old weights and cleaned the tape residue off wheel. Most motorcycle tires have a "dot" and that should be mounted where the valve stem is. Other wise its a crap shoot where the heavy spot is. Sounds like they dont have things lined up. Mark tire at valve stem, rotate 180 and try again. Or easy fix, peel weights off, put some balance beads in and never worry about it until its taken off.

I was told once ( possibly on here )that Avon doesn't mark their tires because they're balanced from factory.

I put on a tire a couple years ago. Removed the old weights and did a static balance. Turned out the weights went back to the same place the old weights were. It appears my wheel is out of balance by about an ounce.

Most motorcycle tires have a "dot" and that should be mounted where the valve stem is. Other wise its a crap shoot where the heavy spot is.

Avon doesn't have that light spot mark. Using the valve stem assumes that the wheel is heaviest at the valve. Anytime we're doing a tubeless installation of a marked tire we find the heavy spot on the wheel first, rather than assuming it's at the valve. About half the time the heavy spot on the wheel is not near the valve.

I was told once ( possibly on here )that Avon doesn't mark their tires because they're balanced from factory.

I put on a tire a couple years ago. Removed the old weights and did a static balance. Turned out the weights went back to the same place the old weights were. It appears my wheel is out of balance by about an ounce.

Avon tires aren't better balanced than any other brand. When I was in school the Avon rep told us that they don't mark their tires because they want installers to be forced to balance them. Personally I think they don't mark them because it saves them an operation and can create the illusion that their tires are somehow superior to others. The rep told us that Avon recommends if you need more than 3oz. to balance a tire that you rotate the tire 180 degrees and try again.

If you're always aligning the mark on the tire with your valve stem the weights should end up pretty much the same place every time. But I will agree, we've found that the wheels are usually more out of balance than the tire.

Too me, that is a lot of weight. I mount and balance my own. Once the old tire is off, I put the rim on my balance stand and mark the heavy spot. When I mount the tire, I put the dot at that spot and check the balance. I think I have 3/4 ounce of weight on my wheels. I would have to check that for sure, but I am pretty sure that is where they are. That dot on the tire is really a reference, you may have to rotate the tire. But either way, there should not be old weights on there. They did it wrong.

Oh you troublemakers, Now I have to check the balance of my rims the next time I get tires.

Has anyone ever tried balancing the rim before mounting the tire? At this point you would know that any imbalance is in the tire, If a tire is way out of balance then you know that there is something wrong with that tire.

Just thinking out loud here, That is always dangerous.