IGNORED

Windows 10 Install

Freebird

Don,

You and I must be of the same computer generation. I started before Windows then went to 3, 3.1 and so on...right up to today. I'm Win XP on office machine - handles my data, music, videos and stills through three hard drives...and Win 7Pro for my professional editing machine. Since I'm retired, I'm hardly on the Pro machine...but thinking seriously of migrating what I can over to that machine and having on one desktop in the house. Problem for me...is the XP machine runs so well even though it's 9 years old. I kept upgrading MB, ram and processor to where I'm running top of the line Athlon, etc.. I like to be able to rip my DVD's easily, run Outlook Express for email (simple and fast), run an old version of Photoshop that has been with me for years as well.....

Not sure I want to upgrade to 10 though as I'm running the Pro version of 7...and it's been solid as a rock.

Guess someday soon I've got to make the change and drop the older system. Sigh.

Yea, sounds like we started around the same time. At least with PCs. :) My first computer was actually a TI 99-4a. Used a cassette player for backup and programs.

The last decent graphics software that I had was Corel Draw version 12. It stopped working when I upgraded to Windows 7. I never replaced it because I just didn't use it that much and there are cheap and even free software that does all I need for it to do. The Dell that I just upgraded is actually my company issued laptop. I use my MacBook Pro for all my personal stuff now.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I finally started using Windows 3.2.

Finally ??? Windows wasn't much of anything really worth it prior to Windows 3.1

I started teaching Windows when it first came out even before it was a true "windowing" version. I think Windows 286 was the first actual "windowing" version ... then it was Windows 386 ... then Windows 3.0

Oh, and just for the record ... version 3.2 was Simplified Chinese :yikes: ... didn't know you spoke that language Don ... :stickpoke:

LOL...well...I did spend a lot of time in Hong Kong and China with my last job but I never did learn the language so it must have been 3.1. I'm not sure. I just know that it was probably about 25 years ago or so.

I actually DID buy the language CDs and study Chinese for a while. Never got it down though. I don't think you can even speak Chinese with a Texas accent. :confused24:

The same was said by our IT people. They have been working with windows 10 and have issues with the privacy thing. They have said that there are ways to eliminate them, but nothing permanent. Apparently these issues are reinstated at a later date.

Some people want to keep using familiar software and keep their old software that runs as they have gotten used to. There is no compelling reason to move from Win 7 to Win 10 if there is nothing new that you want or need. Personally I like to keep up to date with what is available but that's just me. Kinda like there are some 1st gen lovers and there are some 2nd gen lovers and there are even some Harley lovers (smile).....run/ride what ya like.

I agree with you. I like Windows 10 just fine so far but there is really nothing earth breaking that Windows 7 didn't do just fine. My main reason for upgrading was because of upcoming software that the company is implementing. We use Microsoft Streets for keeping up with all our customers when on the road and doing visits. Streets has been discontinued and is no longer supported by Microsoft. We are looking at a few different options to switch to. All will run on Windows 10 but some are not supported on Windows 7 any longer. I just decided to go ahead with the upgrade and get past any learning curve before moving ahead with which ever customer tracking software we go to. I honestly didn't expect to like Windows 10 but my preconceptions were also based upon what I had seen of Windows 8. Turns out that 10 is fine and there is basically no learning curve at all.

Yes, Norton will have to be uninstalled. It was the only program on my system that had to be removed before installing Windows 10. If you want to continue using it, you will have to upgrade to a newer version. That being said, Windows 10 comes with it's own anti-virus software, Defender. Not sure how it compares to Norton (Symantec) but I'm going to stay with it for now. My company has a license for Symantec but until I get back to the corporate office, I won't be able to install it. I'm not really concerned about it though.

Two things I found 'compelling' ...

I'm a computer nerd

It is FREE !!!

:dancefool:

Which is why I'm still on the fence. 1 The original Trojan horse was also free. 2 We run another piece of MS software at work. We pay MS a tidy annual sum to have the PRIVILEGE to PAY an authorized vendor for SUPPORT for their BAD product! The obvious question is, why would we be so STUPID? The short answer is the sysop is a MS fanboy nerd and convinced management their wasn't life outside of MS. Now we're so heavily invested there ISN'T life outside of MS. It gets worse but I'll stop there.

Which is why I'm still on the fence. 1 The original Trojan horse was also free. 2 We run another piece of MS software at work. We pay MS a tidy annual sum to have the PRIVILEGE to PAY an authorized vendor for SUPPORT for their BAD product! The obvious question is, why would we be so STUPID? The short answer is the sysop is a MS fanboy nerd and convinced management their wasn't life outside of MS. Now we're so heavily invested there ISN'T life outside of MS. It gets worse but I'll stop there.

If I had my way and we (at work) weren't so dependent on Microsoft software (stuff that is custom designed in-house), I'd migrate everything to Linux OS.

I have been running W10 on three computers for the past 6 months or so with no problems at all. Took a bit to get used to it and ferret out the damned intrusive stuff, but I like it - certainly not better than W7, but no worse either.

But even with that good experience, I have held off upgrading my two main computers that I do serious financial and audio/video editing stuff on. I was just too concerned that I would hit some problems with some of the specialized software, and I wasn't even sure I had all the original source material where I could find it! So I have been slowly migrating each program over to one of the new W10 machines, and it has all gone without a hitch so far. Once it is done, I'll be able to do a full clean W10 install on the older computers and get rid of any lingering trash from years of XP and W7 stuff.

Now here is a tip for y'all - there is a GREAT free option that will let you run an older version of Windows inside of W10 (or any other OS) - it is called VirtualBox from Oracle. I have a number of things that will only work under XP, so I basically lost them years ago when I took everything but one laptop up to W7. I knew about the various virtual machine options available, but just never wanted to spend the time to learn them. However, I decided to try it out with W10 just to have some insurance if I ran into compatibility problems with something important, and I am glad I did. VirtualBox installed super easy with almost no research, and it is running an XP machine perfectly! I wish I had checked it out years ago. If you want to try it, you can read all the documentation and download the software for free on Oracle's web site. The only thing you will need is the installation media and license key for whatever OS you want to run as a virtual machine. You don't even need a valid license key in most cases if you just want to run the virtual machine in testing mode and do not mind any nag screens the guest OS might throw at you from time to time.

Now here is a tip for y'all - there is a GREAT free option that will let you run an older version of Windows inside of W10 (or any other OS) - it is called VirtualBox from Oracle.

As I suggested earlier ...

I've used VirtualBox in a Linux OS to run Windows and it worked great there also.

Based on our experience with their accounting software I predict w10 is the beginning of subscription based os. Call me a conspiracy nut.
And there within lies my problem. Conspiracy nuts , theorists however yo want to label them drive me nuts cause a big part of me takes them seriously and I start seeing things like George Orwells 1984 or animal farm or becoming cyborgs in a collective like in Star Trek and I begin to worry about the demise of simply being human beings living life on simple and trusted terms like we did before the computer age which now seems to be running or lives. Heck I had less stress and more liesure time before the computer age came and made life better.

And there within lies my problem. Conspiracy nuts , theorists however yo want to label them drive me nuts cause a big part of me takes them seriously and I start seeing things like George Orwells 1984 or animal farm or becoming cyborgs in a collective like in Star Trek and I begin to worry about the demise of simply being human beings living life on simple and trusted terms like we did before the computer age which now seems to be running or lives. Heck I had less stress and more liesure time before the computer age came and made life better.

Then just turn it off and walk away. We all have that choice, when not at work that is.

Lets also not forget: the computer is just a piece of technology. It knows no prejudice or malice. It just is. It's the humans using the computer that are destroying the "trusted and simple lives". That's been the nature of our species forever. Always trying to get the "one up" on the other. It's nature, it's biology, it's programmed into us, it's survival of the fittest mutated to fit the modern condition.

Technology isn't the problem with Orwellian fears , the problem is us....

Edited by Great White