IGNORED

Here is an update on my AURANTHETIC bike that I am rebulding

Eck

Some folks here have heard, or know, that I started a 100% rebuild last year on my AURANTHETIC electric bike.

This is a follow up to my last post as to where I am with this thing.

For those that don't know, I tore every nut, bolt, washer and wire off this thing, sandblasted the frame and some other parts then painted parts, and began assembling the mechanical side last year.

I didn't work on it at all during this summer because that is my riding time...!! :happy34:

Now that it has been cold, My wife agreed to let me put this thing on a card table in the dining room so that I can begin re-wiring this entire bike. I

Note here: am not replacing every wire, but I would be willing to say I am replacing around 95% of all the wiring on this bike.

Three weeks ago, I ordered/ bought and installed (4) turn signal assemblies, and since then I have wired up the tail, brake and the rear turn signals running wires up to the neck of the bike.

I am awaiting the white male/female wire harness connectors and pins to arrive to complete all connections in the neck area of the bike.

I also have wires hanging on the handle bars for now, that need to connect to the ignition switch and the amp meter, which is part of the "fake" gas tank, and this wiring is also delayed until this summer.

Reason being, I want to put two more coats of orange paint on the fake gas tank to brighten it up, then mask it off and paint the bottom half white.

Once I am done painting the tank, I will install the ignition switch and the amp meter, then wire those up which hopefully should be the last things I do to complete this rebuild.

I also wired up the front turn signals and ran wires for the horn in front of the neck area. Again, I need the white harness connectors to complete this wiring.

I am also looking for a chrome 12 volt horn that is 2 inches in diameter. I have a brand new 12 volt horn never used, in the box and will trade anyone who has a two inch diameter horn.

Anyway, here are a few pics as to where I am today on this bike.

Note: I also included a photo (the last photo), to show what the bike actually looked like when I got it.

20160202_110529.jpg

20160202_110546.jpg

20160203_165901.jpg

20160203_165934.jpg

20160203_165959.jpg

20160203_170013.jpg

HPIM1442.jpg

Back on the desktop here Eckster BUT can still view thumbnails, looking at your GORGEOUS restore with a magnifying glass LOL (seriously LOL).. WOW ZZZZZZZZZ WOW WOW WOW - talk about PURRRRRDY!!!!!

Tip n I get down yonder sometime while out trying to find ourselves we will HAVE to stop and give that purdy little total restore a good ol fashioned welcome back hug and shake your talented hand brother!! Just BEEEAAUUUUTIIFULLL!!!

YOU GOT TALENT MY FRIEND!!!

Just to give an idea as to how in depth and pain staking this task has been, this is the seat rebuild. I have never done a seat before but I know how to now..

Don't ask me to do another one though...:stickpoke:

Here are a few pictures of just the seat as to what it looked like when I started and when I finished.

HPIM1610.jpg

HPIM1614.jpg

HPIM1615.jpg

HPIM1617.jpg

HPIM1627.jpg

Its looking great Eck, bet you cant wait for your first ride!

Hey Craig,

Your right... it has been a PIT-B...(butt), at times, with all the cleaning and rust removal. It is coming along nicely though and I will ride it one day...this year I hope..

Heck, I will have to go back to working to get enough money just for the two marine batteries it needs...(aprox $400.00) for two of them..

Since you need new batteries, Look into LiPo batteries, they are much smaller and lighter for a given energy density. They are not cheap, and you will need a special charger but you will also get more range and power with less weight.

Appears to me that all their batteries are for Remote controlled boats, drones and such, not for a full size boat, but I could be wrong now. I will look again later. have to leave right now.

Another update as to where I am now on my Auranthetic Charger.

In post #1 I mentioned: I was waiting for the white male/female wire harness connectors and pins to arrive to complete all wire connections in the neck area of the bike.

Yesterday and today I crimped pins and installed them in the white male / female connectors to complete the wiring of the turn signals, horn, head light and tail light.

I then installed some high quality polyethylene (PET) tubing with corrugated ridges which provides a slight degree of protection to the wires from abrasions, while providing the "aesthetically pleasing effects" of cable management I learned during my career in Aerospace.

I have a few wires sticking up in the air which go through the fake gas tank to the ignition switch and the Amp meter, but I can not install / complete this wiring until I spray the fake gas tank with a few more coats of paint, mask it and make it two tone (White and Orange) and apply the new decal to the tank. I have to wait for weather to get a little warmer to do this so I'm done on it for now.

Also need to find a 2 inch diameter chrome horn. If anyone has one or knows where to get one please let me know. (Must be 2 inches in Diameter, chrome and 12 volt).

Thanks

Here are a few pics of the wiring progress I have done so far as of today (02-12-16).

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

· The motor actually runs great. It is a Bosch,1hp series, wound industrial motor.

· Yes, the black round part you see in thepicture is the motor behind the batter rack.

The bike uses 2 group 27 deep cycle typebatteries and has 2 speeds. The throttle moves a 2 position switch, low speed is12 volts (1 mph to about 15mph) and high is 24 volts (16 Mph to about 35 Mph.

It has been noted on the Auranthetic sitethat the MPH ranges anywhere from 25-35mph for max speeds.

There is a battery charger on board mountedinside the fake gas tank, although all of it is old school technology. I ammissing the battery charger on mine, (sniff, tear, sniff....)

You plug a cord into the right side of thefake gas tank to recharge the batteries. (see attached pic showing plug socketin fake gas tank).

I read in an article that in 1974 anothercompany, (Keen), one upped Auranthetic by using the same bike but stacked 2motors, one on top of the other, although it probably was pretty inefficientnot mention another 30 lbs.heavier.

It's coming along, but I am trying to doeverything right.

I am thinking of contacting Wheels ThroughTime in NC, to see if they would be interested in having this bike when I amdone rebuilding it.

I think I would be pleased to havesomething in a museum that I rebuilt.

The below pics show the right side of fake gas tank (Charger socket/plug), A new Auranthetic that has the battery cover ( I am missing mine) and what mine should look like when I am done!

2018c.jpg

4.jpg

8.jpg

Edited by Eck

That battery cover looks pretty easy to make. It appears to be Vac formed. You can do a shallow draw vac form like that using your oven and a good shop vac. as long as the dimensions will fit in your oven, this might be close if you do not have a big oven.

Might have to send the wife out for this one.:mo money:

A sheet or 3 of ABS plastic is not hard to source. Pull, trim and then paint to match.

Between your bike and those pics you get pretty close on all the dimensions to make the mold for that cover. The mold can be made out of a bunch of scrap framing lumber.

Here at work we make production vac molds out of aluminum, temp production molds out of Mahogany, and one off prototype molds out of a stack of glued up wood from old pallets or any other scrap wood that can be scrounged. Cheap framing pine will get you about 10 good parts before the wood starts to deteriorate.

Been working with molds for years with composites for Aircraft, Rockets and Drones. Know quite a bit about them and the different methods used to make one. Thanks for the reply though.

I'm in touch with a guy in CA who just may have an original stock cover.. Waiting to find out now. :fingers crossed: