IGNORED

How long are AGM batteries laseting?

frankd

It's in the low 60's here today, and every time I walked past the '89 it would start crying that I hadn't ridden it for the last 2 weeks. I got cleaned up, got my riding gear on, climbed on the bike and went to start it.....A couple of half hearted spins and then the starter solenoid started clicking. I connected the battery charger, but it won't accept a charge. The battery is toast. I looked it up on my maintenance log and I see that it's just shy of 5 years old. BTW, it's a Deka AGM. I've gotten 5 years from a conventional lead/acid battery, and I thought that AGM batteries were supposed to last longer than conventional batteries.

How long have AGM batteries lasted for you?

Frank D.

A battery can last for a long time,, all depends on much you use it. In my book you don't really use the battery when you push start, unless the vehicle in question is a hard starter. Most of battery use comes from letting the battery run down some, by the stator not working proper, leaving lights on with the engine not running, playing the radio with the engine off,, that sort of thing. I've been told that batteries normally have 6 lives, and when the voltage drops below 11 volts a life is used. Now there is a lot of talk about batteries, about as much as oil and tires, so I grab a beer and watch this thread grow. My statement is probably out to lunch, so I'll enjoy the beer instead.

After I installed my first DEKA the bike was a daily rider and used on my service route so most trips were around 20 miles at a time and around 150 mile a day. Sometimes up to 20 starts a day with all the stops. That battery was trouble free for around 5.5 years. Never had a need to charge it.

Around that time I was planning to be out on the road for a three month trip. I started doing a regular schedule with a battery tester. Always had a good voltage reading but the "battery life" reading was showing 25%. Still a strong starting bike and never faded off from the power.

But, going on the road I installed a new DEKA before I left town. It's been in the bike now for about 3 years I think. Still doing just as well as the old one. Never a problem.

I took the old one that was showing 25% life and kept it as a stand by in the garage. Used it to test lights, jump other bikes and as a loaner for other bikes when they had dead batteries. Just had it on a tender sitting around for extended periods. It finally went in a neighbors riding mower. Still in there today.

So yeah, DEKAS have a decent life to them. They used to claim 10 years out of them. (under prime conditions) But they do like to be used. They have a damn solid shelf life with NO drain but staying fully charged on a running bike seems to keep them happy.

Now I'll add this. If the AGM battery showed dead on a smart charger, it may not be. When an AGM gets too low a smart charger may not read it properly. Use a regular charger set for 2 amps and let it run overnight. It may still come back. If you don't have a regular charger jump the dead AGM to a good battery then to a smart charger. The smart charger will read the good battery and proceed with the charge and transfer that charge to the "dead" AGM. It's an old trick but it works. With any luck the AGM will show a good read after that overnight charge through the linked battery then top it off for a full charge. Then test it with a quality battery tester and get a volt read under load and a "battery life" reading. You may get a few more years out of it.

It's possible.

I don't know that the AGM batteries are a whole lot different than wet cells life wise. I believe letting them sit discharged or over charging will significantly shorten their lives.

I know my 89 will draw a battery down to where it won't start if it sits for a couple weeks. That's hard on the battery. I put it on a maintainer any time it's going to be parked for more than a few days.

I think 5 yrs on a bike battery is pretty good, I wouldnt expect it to last much longer then that. We do put our bikes up for the winter here so maybe long periods of just sitting shorten their lives. On a side note my work truck a 2005 gmc 3500 still has the original battery and starts effortlessly on 10F days, thats 11yrs and still going strong. The deka plant is rite up the road from me and probably one of our areas largest employers.

Craig

I did not have as good of luck with the AGM. Mine lasted only 14 months. Cranking got slower and slower, charging system was working perfectly, the AGM was never run down in its short life. I get ~7 years out of a good old Yuasa battery at half the price. The AGM wpuld have to last 14 years, not 14 months, to have the same value for me.

MarCarl, I don't own a 'smart' charger. When I first connected my 10/50 amp, the battery acted like it was almost open.....the charging current was only about 1 amp. I left the charger connected for a couple of hours to try to re-activate the battery, but no, she still acted the same. I connected the floating charger (13.5V) and left it over night. After being on the float charger for about 24 hours, the battery acted a bit better. I wanted to let it crank for a little bit, but even without any choke or throttle, my bike started almost the instant I hit the button. I tried it 4 times, and it sounded like it was cranking 'normal' as well as I could tell with the little bit the starter had to be engaged before the bike started. I went for a ride. Of course, I made sure that Barbara knew where the jumper cables were in case she had to rescue me. When I got home, I shut it off and restarted it. It started great.....the first time. The second time it cranked over briefly and then the battery voltage collapsed.

I've decided to purchase another Deka AGM. I could have bought an off brand AGM for a bit less, but decided to stay with one that's made here. Yes, I've had good luck with conventional lead/acid batteries and I could have purchased one for about 60% the cost of the AGM, but I like that added cranking power and zero maintenance of the AGM. Jeff, I agree that if mine lasted only 14 months I'd be looking for something else. What brand was yours?

BTW, my battery was never run down, my charging system works great, and I thought I'd get a little more life from the AGM. When I lived in Illinois, I used to charge the battery with the floating charger every couple of weeks. Here, the bike doesn't sit long enough to worry about that. Hopefully the new one will do better.

BTW, yes car batteries have gotten a lot better than they used to be. When the OEM battery in my 97 Taurus got to be better than 8 years old, I replaced it with a new one just because at 8 years old it 'had' to be used up. I also own a V-10 powered Ford Econoline. At least 3 times the battery was run completely dead (interior lights got left on and the van wasn't used regularly). The OEM battery lasted 11 years!!

The AGM i had was an AC Delco.

This past weekend I made it out to the shed and hit the starter on the bike, it cranked with no problem. I then hooked up the float charger overnight just to be sure it was topped off.

I last rode or even touched the bike in early October.

• 7 months later...

Went to crank it up yesterday, but no-cranky.. Put it on charger low setting overnite, still no cranky. It was a Deka AGM I put in 5 1/2 years ago. Took it to Auto Zone, tested deader than dead. Bought new ETX20L from them ($99.00), dropped it in, and she fired right up. While surfing the web looking where to get a new Deka AGM, noticed that O'reillys and Auto Zone AGM batteries that were made the same place as Deka. So not concerned that there be quality difference due to store branding. Now I guess I'll be investing in a Battery tender/charger.

Edited by seabeetom

My boat has a group 27 car battery...12 years old. Been through a lot last four years, including sitting outside in New Hampshire one winter two years ago. Still tests good but I have my doubts. VStar950t battery is an AGM..... It died two weeks ago. It lasted five years. Replacement goes in tomorrow.

Batteries are interesting creatures. I made a living using Anton Bauer Nicads. Broke all rules and they lasted almost ten years each before rebuild. At $500 each...I was happy!!

I'm good if I get five years out of a scoot battery. Their charging systems are rudimentary at best..... I'm surprised batteries last as long as they do with the load we put on them.

I have a Mills Fleet Farm relabeled Deka AGM for my 89 and I have just got into the habit of putting a smart charger on it when the bike has been sitting for a while. I am using a BatteryMinder Plus model 12117. I believe this is a discontinued item as Northern Tool had a heck of a buy on them last Black Friday. My battery is about 5 years old and hasnt cause me on bit of trouble.

Rick F.