IGNORED

Badlands

Ben Rollins

If you are talking the badlands as in South Dakota, I would hope you would include the Black Hills and Mt. Rushmore. I would also take in Devils Tower in Wy and they have a nice KOA just outside the park entrance also.

There is a lot of see in the Black Hills even without the tourist traps.

Rick F.

Badlands and Black Hills aren't all that far apart. Number 1 tourist trap close to Badlands is Wall Drug. Cimmer is right, lots to do in the Black Hills. Depending on how big your RV is, might not want to do needles highway. Some of the tunnels re pretty tight. If you are pulling a camper, unhook before you drive around the hills.

Badlands themselves are pretty cool. Its a park, so you will have to pay the entrance fee to make the loop. Last time I went through, we entered by the town of Wall, where Wall Drug is located. Its touristy but your kids might like it, and a good place to pick up some trinkets/souvenires. Biggest thing about the Badlands, s time of year and time of day. It can get hot, and no shade. If forecast for the day you go is really hot, try to go in morning.

I'm sure I will think of more. bring this up again as trip gets closer, I'm sure we can add to it.

one more thing in the black hills. Your kids would love a train ride. Do the 1880s train. it is an 1880 vintage train, and it takes about a half hour trip through the black hills. I'm sure you can find a vid of it on you tube

Ok,, so here's some thoughts,, especially if you have younger children..

Make your way up to Michigan, stop and say hi at our house - camp in our yard, if we are home our place is child proof and we love kids, even if we happen to be out of town you are still welcome to camp in our yard - we are 2 minutes from Lake Michigan and the State Park with LOTS for kids to do and where you can dump your holding tanks if you need to. On the way to the Badlands from our house you could either take the Ferry across to Wisconsin (expensive) from Muskegon or you could go up Ludington and take the big Ferry across (a LOT cheaper than Muskegons) or you could go up, drive across the Mackinaw Bridge (WOW) and cross the Upper Peninsula (BEAUTIFUL) into Wisconsin or you can always drop down and go around Chicago and up to "90". A stop in Austin Minnesota at the place that makes Spam is really fun. They have an AWESOME free tour that the kids would LOVE. Stop in Blue Earth Minnesota for a night or two of free camping at their Fair Grounds - you can stay 2 nights with FULL hook-ups free of charge. Blue Earth is the home of Green Giant foods - they have an AWESOME park right next to the fair grounds with a HUGE Jolly Green Giant. The Fair Grounds also have hot showers, bathrooms and all that too.

Chamberlain South Dakota is where the Missouri River crosses 90, before you cross the river gorge, pull into Chamberlain. On the North side of town there is a local RV park with a GORGEOUS swimming beach. Also has showers and full hook ups. Real neat town.

Watch for "Draper" as your headed west on 90 toward the Badlands NP. Only a couple miles off the Ickspress-way - place is a step back in time - old cow town with dirt main roads. GREAT people!!

The Badlands NP has an East and a West Entrance. Wall Drug is located near the West Entrance. Time of arrival would determine how I would play this one. The Badlands are UNREAL at night - the park remains open all night (the roadway from at the east entrance is also the main road leading down to the town of Interior) even though the Toll Booths close at 9ish - there are no closeable gates at the booths. Wall Drug would be boring at night for the kids.

If it were later in the day when I came to the east entrance,, say after 5, I would take the East Entrance. There is a Prairie Dog place on the right hand side, place sells Prairie Dog food but the little buggers LOVE Pop Corn and Sun Flower Seeds (wink wink).. Your kids would LOVE em!! Actually biker named my Son after one,, P-Dog LOL..

Anyway,, driving thru the NP at night is a MUST do!! Warm canyon breezes coming up out of the Badlands are unforgettable!! So are the formations in the moon light. Park Rangers wont allow overnight camping in the pull offs (they wont kick ya out but will ask you to move LOL) BUT - about half way thru the park there are a couple of back roads that go North (South would be off the edge of the Badland canyons and you dont wanna do that) - not very far and your outside of the Park onto the National Prairie Lands where you can just stop and camp for FREE!! I can tell you exactly where this is if you would like.. Camping on the Prairie is the ULTIMATE!! Coyotes howling and all that great stuff!!! Talk about STARS!! Kids would love it!!

Follow the rim of the Badlands headed west, you will exit the park, stay on that roadway - you will cross the ickspress-way and pull right into Wall Drug. Lots of gas stations, Subway right on main corner.. Turn left and another quick right and your on "Main Street" of Wall (towns name is Wall, Wall Drug is actually the name of the old Drug Store,, long story..). Drive down main street past all the tourist traps LOL.. End of Mainstreet you will come to last building on the right and will see a sign that says "Back Yard". Walk around the side of the building and they have a quick entrance into the Back Yard. Bring your camera and let them kiddies have ball!! LOTS of stuff for em to do!! Wont spoil your fun by telling you about it but trust me,, its a really fun place for all ages..

From the Badlands and headed to colorful Colorado.. I would head back to East entrance of the Badlands, go out of the bottom of the park and thru Interior. West under the Badlands toward Rapid City is gorgeous.. I would keep heading west and go right into the Black Hills and into Keystone. Up the hill to Rushmore. I would then take Iron Mountain Road down to Custer State Park (LOTS of animal life). There is small camp ground that is also open to RV's where a guy raises Timber Wolves - been there for years and place is AWESOME!! Very reasonable rates.. Keep in mind that you can also pull off anywhere and sleep for the night - South Dakota is an open camp state - you can even pull off on the prairie like some of the Sturgis Rally goers do..

Come out thru Custer, roll down to Hot Springs where there is an AWESOME mammoth dig, drop down to Lusk and straight south toward Cheyenne. Cheyenne to Loveland into Estes Park from the east side!!

In Estes Park, take the road thru rocky mountain national park, hit grand lake, continue down thru Berthold pass to I-70. If you go west a little you will go thru the eisenhower tunnel and the continental divide. From Silverthorne/dillon/Frisco take 9 south past breckenridge and over hoover pass. to 285 in fairplay. That will take you thru buena vista and salida, and over poncha pass. the turn onto 17 is easy to miss, but that will get you close enough to see the signs. If you want to experience an old fashioned steam train ride, a little further south in antonito is the cumbres and toltec scenic railroad. its a beautiful trip up mountain passes and tunnels. I've lived in Colorado for 2 1/2 years now and still haven't seen all the great sights. I've traveled all of these roads and recomment them.

Have a great time!

I have been on Needles Highway and have meet full size tour buses in the eye of the needle. I asked the gate attendant and he said that they regularly get tour buses on Needles Highway and the tunnel in the needle is just big enough to let them thru. Needless to say it took us about an hour before we could get thru on our motorcycles as the buses had traffic backed up for miles behind them and it is a single land tunnel so it is a first come first go type of deal. So maybe an RV could make it thru if you felt comfortable doing it and didn't mind a scrap or two..

Rick F.

On our trip west back in 04 we stopped at Murdo, SD for the night. There is a private run Museam there that has alot of old west things to see. Mind you its crude but it was worth the money to see some cool old things. The first RV ever made is there. Some old timer took a old truck and fitted it up to tour with before there were even roads made. You could even climb up into it. Now that was RVing! That would have been a trip of a lifetime.:happy34:

I did the same with my kids when they were 18, 16, 12, and 12. Was hearding cats with the older two boys when trying to leave. An outstanding trip.

Devils Tower +1!! Don't pass that by.

Also, there is a loop through the Badlands with a gas station at the Eastern end. They have buffalo roller dogs

Actually it's pitch black in the Badlands after sunset. The ideal times to visit are at or just before sunrise and sunset.

The filtered light filling the contours of the rough landscape adds color that wouldn't be seen otherwise.

By daylight the Badlands is basically just slightly colored mud and gravel that's been ravaged by erosion.

• 3 months later...

I have spent a night or two camping in an old grave yard in Waterloo when passing thru Iowa a couple times in years passed Ben but thats a ways from Iowa City.. Maybe summons some Iowa natives like @rbig1 and see if they got any ideas... If nothing else brother,, there's gotta be a Walmart parking lot available.:hurts:

Well if you are close to the Mississippi there are 4 campgrounds At Buffalo Ia there is Buffalo Sholes campground. Then East of that is Clarks Ferry a DNR campground. Then there is Shady Creek camp ground. Right before that is Wildcat Den State Park they have a camp ground but no hookup. Shady Creek is a Core of Engineers camp ground my favorite one. Then there is Fairport camp ground it may still be closed for upgrades. This is all on 22east a state road. Also known as Great River Road. Then if your in Muscatine there is Saulsberry Bridge it also has a camp ground power and showers on Mulberry Ave north of town about 3 miles. Above Iowa City is Sugar grounds camp ground. there is also Lake McBride camp ground There both clean and nice. Then there is a few private ones cant remember there names. if you go to the Iowa DNR website there listed and some sites are reservations the other are Core of Engineers They have them also.

• 2 weeks later...

looking forward to hearing about this adventure as I am starting the planning for next summer. I plan on going to the same area, Badlands, Rushmore, Crazy Horse, Devil's tower. If all goes well time wise, I plan on coming home with a stop in WI, shoot to the UP and cross into Canada then cross back over in NH..........hoping I can do it all in 16 days.

Actually it's pitch black in the Badlands after sunset. The ideal times to visit are at or just before sunrise and sunset.

The filtered light filling the contours of the rough landscape adds color that wouldn't be seen otherwise.

By daylight the Badlands is basically just slightly colored mud and gravel that's been ravaged by erosion.

I did it at sunrise back in 08 beautiful sight but I remember the road through was rough washboard gravel roads and liked to jarred my teeth loose.