IGNORED

New high-tech helmets

ReinyRooster

Just saw two different advertisements yesterday on line for new high-tech helmets that have rear-view cameras to let you see what's coming up behind you, and other heads-up display screens that appear on the inside of the helmet's shield that can give you a wide assortment of information......maps, speed, radio station etc.

While I like electronic gadgets, I'm thinking all this info in your face while you're riding isn't necessarily a good thing. I think it takes away from the simple appeal and joy of getting away on two wheels. I appreciate that the information that they want to put in the rider's view is generally valuable information, I don't think I would want all that info in my face.

What's the general opinion of most riders here?

Having flown with a hud, i say the sooner the better in my motorcycle helmet.

Everyone seems to think its a distraction, but its not. It actually allows you to pay more attention to the path (road if you prefer)

It also increases your SA. SA is key to surviving anything. Riding included.

We mainly experience the world through sight, you can process an incredible amount of information through sight.

Having your speed displayed off center of veiw is not an issue. All you do is change focus of your eyes vice looking down to see the speedo. Same could be said for rpm. It equates to your eyes spending more time looking down the road. You're also still seeing the road when focused on the hud, its just blurry. Not enough to see fine detaill, but you can sure see something pull out in front of you. Its motion based at that point and will grab your focus back whether you want it to or not. Its pretty much a survival reflex left over from when movement meant something was going to eat you.

Seeing the view behind you would take practice to be able to have in line of sight somewhere. Its difficult to process contradicting views, nature didnt set us up for that. ie: motion forward and rearward simultaneously

It all has to properly designed though, you cant just throw a bunch of info in front of your face. It just doesn't work that way. And frankly, i doubt helmet manuf. are going to put the amount of r&d that will require. R&d is expensive. People only seem to be willing to spend so much on a helmet. Not everyone, but the majority and thats where thier profit laus: in the majority market.

But properly designed and/or user configurable? Bring it on!

just dont try to market it for 3 grand or something. That just wont sell enough to be profitable.

Of course, if you dont like/want it, just turn it off. Or just buy one without it.

:)

Edited by Great White

I was gonna get "DOT" tatooed on the small bald spot I have on the back of my head once but heard getting a Tatoo is kind of painful and I didnt want the pain distracting me so I changed my mind.. I am one of those naturally distracted folks who would not care for or need any extra distractions. Also, had a Pontiac Bonneville once that had the speedo display broadcasted on the windshield - drove me crazy..

Sounds cool though..

I was gonna get "DOT" tatooed on the small bald spot I have on the back of my head once but heard getting a Tatoo is kind of painful and I didnt want the pain distracting me so I changed my mind.. I am one of those naturally distracted folks who would not care for or need any extra distractions. Also, had a Pontiac Bonneville once that had the speedo display broadcasted on the windshield - drove me crazy..

Sounds cool though..

Small bald spot > :rotf::rotf::stickpoke::witch_brew:

I would like a warning of cars coming up fast behind me or even a good rear view for switching lanes. Especially at night on the highway, I always strain to look and mostly it's just verifying no headlights (god forbid someone was rolling without lights!). & I'd like my speed and GPS map (or even waze with popo alerts. And maybe water temp and oil pressure, .. haha but I still haven't got a Bluetooth speaker in my full face and most often wear a half helmet .

WE just bouhgt 2 new Bell Mag 9 with the Sena mounts built in. They have to drop down sun shield in addition to the clear face shield. We had the previous model and they were getting like 7 years old and padding getting flat so figured time to replace.

Cowpuc-I'm sure I can look around for you man and find like a pack of 10 stickers that say "DOT" That should be less painful.