IGNORED

Slow Leak in front tire - RSV

videoarizona

Been reading about those who have had slow leaks in their tires. Didn't find anyone who let the air out, cleaned the area and put air back in.

I was thinking of putting bike on lift, letting most of air out then running a plastic handle or something like that around the rim right where the leak is...between the rim and the tire. Maybe a piece of gunk not cleaned out when new tire went on?

I'm a bit shy about doing this as I don't want o get into the position of not being able to get the tire to seat again. I don't have any sealer or such but could use some soap and water while trying to reseat tire.

Thoughts appreciated...

I had a persistent rear tire slow leak.

When I bought new tires, I watched the installer completely clean the rim and the tire. apply a sealer to the rim install a new valve stem, put it all back together and the slow leak is still there. I have sprayed soapy water many times but never found the leak. Last summer it simply stopped leaking air on its own.:confused24: Some leaks just do not want to be found.

Are the tires new or did this develop recently?

You won't accidentally break the bead free from the rim. It requires a significant amount of force, but even if you do, inflating the tire will reseat the bead.

I dont think there is much you can do without removing the tire from the rim and cleaning it all up.

I had a slow leak in my front tire and couldn't find it! Then one day my friend asked if I checked the valve itself. There is a little piece that screws into the valve. I forget what its called. I went and bought a box of 5 for around $2, took the old one out, and the new one in...........problem gone.

It sounds like you've definitely identified a leak at the bead. It's not likely you'll get much accomplished without dismounting the tire. I'm not a big fan of sealants - they create a problem installing the next tire.

Here at the little shop by the park we dismount them and then clean up the wheel really well. That usually solves the problem. Also, clean the bead on the tire and check for any damage on the install.

When I ran Avon Venoms, I had a slow front tire leak. About a pound or two a day. Been going on for months.

Took it to the dealer (who installed it 12K miles before). Asked them to reseat it, figured it was the bead.

They found a micro leak just outside the bead. (Right were there are a ring or two around the tire).

They called Avon and, with the remaining tread, gave me a new tire. (I think I may have paid for the mount.)

Good dealer, good backup by the manufacturer. But, bless their hearts, swapped to Michelin rear and Dunlop E3 on the front.

Thanks all. Appreciate the inputs.

Going to take another look at it this weekend. Have a board meeting to prepare for, but after that on Saturday, I can get greasy and down and dirty and maybe take the tire off and see what's going on. From your thoughts, I see it can't hurt.

david

Could you take the rim off and submerge it in water to see where the leak is? I've seen water containers at tire stores where they can submerge just a portion of the tire holding it vertical and slowly rotate the tire to see where the leak is. Aluminum wheels have been known to be porous in spots and cause leaks.

Could you take the rim off and submerge it in water to see where the leak is? I've seen water containers at tire stores where they can submerge just a portion of the tire holding it vertical and slowly rotate the tire to see where the leak is. Aluminum wheels have been known to be porous in spots and cause leaks.

I found it by accident after spraying the tire. It's right where the rim and tire meet. About one inch in length and leaks from 40 pounds down to about 34 then stops leaking.

I marked it...