IGNORED

Exchange rate is brutal !

XV1100SE

I just ordered something from Boats.net.

Item - $88.49 US

Shipping to Canada $15.99 US (USPS)

Total $104.48 US

Converted to Canadian $$$.... $142.34

Good time for our U.S. neighbours to shop in Canada ! Imagine ordering something worth $142 CDN and only being billed for $104 US

(there are Venture parts still carried by Yamaha U.S. that are no longer available from Yamaha Canada)

Item - $88.49 US

Total $104.48 US

Good time for our U.S. neighbours to shop in Canada ! Imagine ordering something worth $142 CDN and only being billed for $104 US

(there are Venture parts still carried by Yamaha U.S. that are no longer available from Yamaha Canada)

AND don't forget Don there is a chance you could get hit with Duty charges when it crosses the boarder!

I used to find it was every once in awhile a package would have duty charges........now I find it is more often than not that it does.

The last thing I bought back in the very early spring was $260 U.S. And it had $40. Canadian brokerage & duty fees! I was not a happy camper. Your standing in line at the post office and trying to pick up your package, you think you have payed for and they tell you you owe 40 bucks if you want it.

:mo money:

AND don't forget Don there is a chance you could get hit with Duty charges when it crosses the boarder!

I used to find it was every once in awhile a package would have duty charges........now I find it is more often than not that it does.

The last thing I bought back in the very early spring was $260 U.S. And it had $40. Canadian brokerage & duty fees! I was not a happy camper. Your standing in line at the post office and trying to pick up your package, you think you have payed for and they tell you you owe 40 bucks if you want it.

They're dinging you for the Taxes based on the CAN exchange of the $260.

Only time I've been dinged with "brokerage" is when shipping UPS or FEDEX. Truthfully, i consider brokerage from those SOB's as nothing more than a freakin' cash grab. They even charge you a "COD" charge to collect "their brokerage". Can't avoid it becasue they won't let the shipper pay up front for you. "They" say they have to collect it from the receiver.

:mad:

I say they're crooks because "Brokerage" is included in USPS shipping rates which are usually the same (or cheaper) than UPS or FEDEX.

Taxes and duties are just a fact of life and comes from CRA. They is gonna getcha!:Sad_0241:

Although, knock on wood, I haven't been caught with duties and taxes in a looong while now. Most of my stuff just passes right through.....not all of it, but most.

Probably has something to do with my packages usually being fairly cheap on declared value. Not that the shippers lie for me, I usually don't import high dollar items if I have an option in country....

Edited by Great White

Item - $88.49 US

Total $104.48 US

I ordered a chip once from Japan for $50 shipped and the custom fee or whatever they call it costed me $75 go figure.

P.S. Great White I tried to PM you but this forum don't seam to like me.

Only time I've been dinged with "brokerage" is when shipping UPS or FEDEX. Truthfully, i consider brokerage from those SOB's as nothing more than a freakin' cash grab. They even charge you a "COD" charge to collect "their brokerage". Can't avoid it becasue they won't let the shipper pay up front for you. "They" say they have to collect it from the receiver.

:mad:

I say they're crooks because "Brokerage" is included in USPS shipping rates which are usually the same (or cheaper) than UPS or FEDEX.

Taxes and duties are just a fact of life and comes from CRA. They is gonna getcha!:Sad_0241:

Although, knock on wood, I haven't been caught with duties and taxes in a looong while now. Most of my stuff just passes right through.....not all of it, but most.

Probably has something to do with my packages usually being fairly cheap on declared value. Not that the shippers lie for me, I usually don't import high dollar items if I have an option in country....

DITTO ... you said what I was gonna!

Motorcycle parts come into Canada duty free so the customs and brokerage fees charged by courier services are a total cash grab. Vendor shipping charges to cross the border are, more often than not, ridiculously high as well. It is not unusual for free shipping to the lower 48 with USD $40-$80 or more charged to cross the border. I use a small local courier with an office in Blaine WA to transship items to Victoria Airport for CAD $17. Works out well for bike parts which mostly can't be found in Canada. For non bike parts my first look is on Amazon.ca which sells a lot of items with free shipping.

Recently I purchased a bunch of grains...food..., none of which are not available in local markets but some of them came from vendors in the US and were still cheaper AND were delivered to my door for free so no gas burned to get them. Starting to love Amazon.

Yes I look for things that are "Free Shipping" or that are reasonable with the shipping rates. It burns me when a US seller charges outrages shipping prices and when you get the item you find they charged you 10 times the actual cost. Also I will not buy from anyone who uses the Ebay shipping system since Ebay charge customs fees on ALL items even if they are duty free such as books and items under $100 dollars.

It burns me when a US seller charges outrages shipping prices and when you get the item you find they charged you 10 times the actual cost.
s, that's kind of like a scam. Sell for a low price and make up the difference with ridiculously high shipping charges. As a result, eBay has become NOT the first place I look.

Also I will not buy from anyone who uses the Ebay shipping system since Ebay charge customs fees on ALL items even if they are duty free such as books and items under $100 dollars.
Never used eBay shipping, good to know thanks. :beer:

From the CBSA (Canada Border Services Agency) website

No duty is payable on goods imported for personal use, if it is marked as “made in Canada, the USA, or Mexico”, or if there is no marking or labelling indicating that it was made somewhere other than Canada, the USA, or Mexico.

Most imported goods are also subject to the Federal Goods and Services Tax (GST) and Provincial Sales Tax (PST) or, in certain provinces and territories, the Harmonized Sales Tax (HST).

From the CBSA (Canada Border Services Agency) website

No duty is payable on goods imported for personal use, if it is marked as “made in Canada, the USA, or Mexico”, or if there is no marking or labelling indicating that it was made somewhere other than Canada, the USA, or Mexico.

Most imported goods are also subject to the Federal Goods and Services Tax (GST) and Provincial Sales Tax (PST) or, in certain provinces and territories, the Harmonized Sales Tax (HST).

Of course this is all subject to how long you are in the US for. The longer the stay the more you are allowed to bring back free of charge. Alcohol is a perfect example of that.

Of course this is all subject to how long you are in the US for. The longer the stay the more you are allowed to bring back free of charge. Alcohol is a perfect example of that.
Rick's comment is focused on importing goods into Canada duty free under NAFTA while your comment addresses bringing goods into Canada tax free. These are two separate issues. I have found quite often the CBSA agents will not bother charging tax on low value goods. It is doubtful there is an actual rule on whether or not they charge the taxes so it is pretty much an arbitrary individual decision.

As far as the importing of goods go it has more to do with new items then used, and if you could have purchased the same item new in Canada from a Canadian manufacture. But there's a 50/50 chance on a new item weather you will have to pay even if that product is not even made in or available in Canada. I have never paid duties on any used items from the US and I have bought a lot of stuff for motorcycles, cars, and trucks.

Yes I look for things that are "Free Shipping" or that are reasonable with the shipping rates. It burns me when a US seller charges outrages shipping prices and when you get the item you find they charged you 10 times the actual cost. Also I will not buy from anyone who uses the Ebay shipping system since Ebay charge customs fees on ALL items even if they are duty free such as books and items under $100 dollars.

yep, that Pitney bowes/ebay shipping sure is a scam. You get charged brokerage and duties and it usually shows up shipped via usps.

I find it funny that you can find an enay item from a "us seller" that has high shipping costs and drilling down the listings you usually find the same item for a cheaper price with free shipping from a china seller. Even using the same pictures in thier "auctions"

ebay has just become a rip off all the way around. If you dig and keep watching you can sometimes grab a decent deal, but its mostly full of money grubbing rip off artists now.....

Ya, I don't use Ebay unless I have no choice. I just love the $50 and $60 dollar shipping fees on items that fit in a $10 flat rate box that really burns me. Then you find the same item from a Chinese seller at half the price AND free shipping AND you get it in half the time!! So my choice of sellers is Chinese first, US if I have no choice. In fact I'm starting to check the Chinese sites first now.