IGNORED

Taller final drive?

I agree it is rev happy, but it feels like it really wants, maybe a sixth gear or taller final drive to just knock the revs down a bit at highway cruising speed. It would make for more relaxed crusing i think.

I normally run at 80-85mph, and don't hit 5th til 70 or over. Still plenty of rpms left at 85mph. Fastest I've had it was 105 mph or so and could get more. I can't imagine a 6th gear unless the 5th is lowered. You wouldn't be able to efficiently use 6th gear til you hit 90 mph.

IMO, the current 5th gear is ideal for running at my normal speeds.

The rear diff on the Ventures (1st and 2nd gen) is the highest ratio Yamaha has offered (33/10).

You might find a virago diff with a higher ratio, but all I've ever been able to find is the 33/10 on Viragos (I was actually looking for lower gears). Then there's if they will fit a Venture. Chances are good they will because Yamaha is a "parts bin" company (IE: they keep recycling "paid for" engineering), but you'll be blazing new territory if you try.....

Taller gearing would be kind of like "lugging" the engine. If you look at some of the threads guys are talking about fuel economy, they find they actually get better economy with a few more revs. Its just the way the motor/cams/timing is all set up. It dont like to be run at say 45 mph in 5th even though you think lower RPM would save fuel. Just is not the way the motor is set up. Intake, carb flow, valve train air flow etc is all designed for a specific air flow ratio. So fellows have figured out that 4th @ say 60 actually does get better fuel economy than 5th at same speed.

I dont know all the design specs etc, but may have to do with better fuel/air mixture in intake etc with increased air flow. Make sense?

Taller gearing would be kind of like "lugging" the engine. If you look at some of the threads guys are talking about fuel economy, they find they actually get better economy with a few more revs. Its just the way the motor/cams/timing is all set up. It dont like to be run at say 45 mph in 5th even though you think lower RPM would save fuel. Just is not the way the motor is set up. Intake, carb flow, valve train air flow etc is all designed for a specific air flow ratio. So fellows have figured out that 4th @ say 60 actually does get better fuel economy than 5th at same speed.

I dont know all the design specs etc, but may have to do with better fuel/air mixture in intake etc with increased air flow. Make sense?

That is definitely my experience. I use an electronic log on my cell phone to log every expense, including mileage and know my mpg, costs at various intervals, etc for my last 3 bikes. The RSV gets MUCH better mileage in 4th gear up to 65 mph than at any speed in 5th gear.

My overall mpg for the past 13k miles on this bike is 38.64 mpg. My best being 46.07 (probably wasn't sitting level during fill up). Most of my riding is 80+ mph in 5th gear. If I were in a 6th gear, it would be much worse and lot more load on the engine.

These gear ratios for the bikes were obviously designed for higher rpms. I can do a bike ride, running mostly 50 to 65 mph and get 42+ mpg.

I just can't fathom having any higher gear as what it currently has. Like I said in a prior post, it would be unusable unless you were running 90 mph.

I agree it is rev happy, but it feels like it really wants, maybe a sixth gear or taller final drive to just knock the revs down a bit at highway cruising speed. It would make for more relaxed crusing i think.

Check to make sure your carbs are synched. If not, you will get more vibration than normal in 5th gear at highways speeds. Hence the "feeling" that your bike should have a 5th gear.

Put your fingernail on the tank at speed. If it's virbration buzzy, your carbs need synch. If it's a minor vibration, you are good.

Wish I could find who originally wrote about the fingernail thing...but it is so true! Whoever figured that out, my hat's off to you! Thanks!

david