IGNORED

Fuel Tank Arithmetic (I HATE math with a passion!)

Semi-retired

I punched the holes in the filler neck. Did it at a gas station but off to the side. Filled up as much as I could. Ride 50'feet away and took out my rubber hammer and my awl. Punched 4 holes in the filler neck as high as I could and ride back to the pump and put in another 4/10 gallon. When I go on reserve and get gas immediately I squeeze in 4.3 gallons. I get 160 to 180 miles to reserve light with two bars showing. That still leaves me 1.6 gallons to walking at about 36 to 38 mpg at gps 75 mph which is indicated 81 on the speedo. Sincere cruise control will only do indicated 80 to 81 mph I cruise at actual 74-74 mph over the ground. Depending on wind direction or none is 33 mpg to max 42 mpg. But over 20,000 miles of mostly freeway in my 2007 Rsv I plan to average 35 mpg for planning fuel stops.

And that's all I have to say about that.

VentureFar...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My bikes are a 96 and 97 RSTC's so there is no fuel gauge. With the tank filled to the top of the neck I can go between 155 and 165 miles before it starts to sputter and I have to switch to reserve. I got lucky one time and it sputtered as I was coming down my street with 156 miles on the trip meter. I had an empty 1 gallon can so I drained the tank to see how much was left. It was just over 3/4 of a gallon. With my average 45mpg, I figure I have around 40 miles left when I switch to reserve.

I get 38 mpg but I ride mine pretty hard. Interstate speed is around 80-85 for trips less than 50 miles. 50+ mile trips, I'll avg around 77 mph. Backroads I'm usually cruising around 55.

My typical fillup is right at 4.3 gallons and the tripometer is usually at 160-165 miles.

I use my bike as a daily commute as well. Riding every day that the rain chance is less than 40%.

I punched the holes in the filler neck. Did it at a gas station but off to the side. Filled up as much as I could. Ride 50'feet away and took out my rubber hammer and my awl. Punched 4 holes in the filler neck as high as I could and ride back to the pump and put in another 4/10 gallon.

VentureFar...Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm guessin there's a joke in here somewhere.....but, sorry, not getting it! :-)

.. I had an empty 1 gallon can so I drained the tank to see how much was left. It was just over 3/4 of a gallon. With my average 45mpg, I figure I have around 40 miles left when I switch to reserve.

Keep in mind that there are tubes that go from the petcock inside the tank (reserve tube lower than main tube). It has been said that 1/2 gallon (U.S.) is not accessible. You also lose some of the tank's capacity by space at the top of the tank you can't fill.

On long rides like Iron Butt or solo to Sturgis trying to make "miles" every gas stop is a delay. In Wyoming and Montana sometimes the gas stations are either too close or almost too far. So I plan to get gas 1/2 way through reserve -the extra 4/10 at the top helps in these circumstances.

I havent heard of any one blowing themselves up punching the holes but then again they wouldn't be posting that,now would they!:2133:

VentureFar...

Now I get it!

I'm not that brave with hammers around gas tanks!

I'll play it stock and just gas up a wee bit more often.��

Keep in mind that there are tubes that go from the petcock inside the tank (reserve tube lower than main tube). It has been said that 1/2 gallon (U.S.) is not accessible. You also lose some of the tank's capacity by space at the top of the tank you can't fill.

I drained the tank from the petcock so the 3/4 of a gallon was the remaining "usable" fuel.

I drained the tank from the petcock so the 3/4 of a gallon was the remaining "usable" fuel.

Yamaha spec on the 2nd Gen is that there is 3.5 liters (0.92 US gal) in reserve. The "reserve tube" probably leaves a little gas in the bottom of the tank so the difference at the bottom of the tank is 0.17 US gallons. That means that filling the bike there is a void of about 0.33 US gallons that remains filled with air and not fuel.

I don't know what volume punching the holes recovers. I usually turn the handle bars to the right when I pull into a gas station so the bike is as straight up as it will be on the side stand. I fill the tank to a little above the bottom of the filler throat and wait for some bubbles to escape and the fuel level to go down. Then I repeat until the gas stays in the filler throat and doesn't go down anymore. Then I know I'm getting as much gas in as I possibly can.

You guys that are punching holes in the filler neck, I'd really like to see a picture of what it looks like when your done. I'd consider doing it, but don't want to jump in before I know what I'm getting myself into.

I suppose I should look and see if there is a youtube video, huh?

Thanks

42mpg. That's 2 up, mostly 4th gear 55 to 65 mph in slight hills. Fun 2 lane ride.

Previously, I get around 36mpg solo. So me thinks my wrist is being bad when I'm alone. :biker:

So went for a ride this morning to see if my right wrist was controllable. Answer: Yes.

41.4 mpg...mixture of 80mph in 5th gear and 55-65mph in 4th gear.

Went to see Colossal cave near Tucson...breakfast at Vail Steakhouse. Bad picture...lens must have been crudded up!

IMG_20150913_090026_532.jpg