IGNORED

Front tire.

Just curious what you are all using for a front tire on your 2nd Gen?

I have priced many but as we all know, some are just not meant for touring bikes. I have heard a lot about Metezler having a really good touring tire for our bikes. Since the tire is so "wide" compared to what I have been use to buying, I thought I would get some advice before moving forward. I have a new Michelin rear tire but from what I can find, they don't make a front tire in the size I have on my bike. Any and all advice/suggestions /recommendations is appreciated.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-N900R4 using Tapatalk

I just ordered a Michelin 130/90/16 for my '05. After Riding RMAR's bike with that same tire upfront, I couldn't get over how much lighter and responsive his bike was compared to mine which has a Metezler 880 150/80/16. He also has about 1 1/2" risers that improve leverage more than you would think they would.

I had a 130 michelin commander 2 on the front for over 17k. I really like the feel of the 130 and will go back to it next change. Currently have a shinko in the OEM size. I think Shinko makes the 777 in the 130 size in the right weight rating.

Thanks for the suggestions all. Our local bike shop, Harley Shop, is very surprised my bike has a 150/80 16 71H tire on the front. He said to me.. "holy crap that's a wide tire! I install that size on Harley's all the time but I put it on the rear"! Kinda caught me off guard and didn't know what to say about that! So what I am getting from what a few of you are saying is that a smaller 130 tire in the front handles better? I like the look of the wide tire in the front though. I can only assume it's wide for the "touring" side of life.

The Commander II will make a big difference in handling and it still looks very big compared to a lot of other bikes. :thumbsup2:

Gramps69, what size are you running on your Venture? I too really like Michelin tires but they don't offer a 150 series for the front of a second gen Venture. Are you running a 130? They do offer those.

E3's? Explain please?

Dunlop Elite 3. They are usually referred to as E3's. They are a great tire for an RSV, front comes in a stock size, rear is reinforced tire rated for heavy loads and last forever. With the profile of these tires really make the bike stable on the highway, I have rode RSV's for 130,000+ miles and they are the most stable tires I've run and I've tried quite a few different ones. Only negative to the E3's is they start to get noisy when they are wearing out.

Funny you say that. I had a Dunlop front tire on my Honda Sabre and it got noisy as it wore out as well! I would come to a curve in the road and it would make its sound most prevalent then! I sort of figured E3 was for the Dunlop Elite (Google E3 motorcycle tire!) but I was making sure. Thanks again!

I am running a commander ll 130 90 16 on the front now. Had 130 90 16 shinko 777 cupped real bad and made lots of noise wore out in 10000 miles. Very pleased with the handling improvements and also helps the vertically challenged somewhat as it lowers the front of the bike some.

Ricky

I have been running Metzler tires for some time and getting some high mileage from them.

Metzler tires have never given me any problems and have averaged between 14,000 and 19,000 miles per tire

Last night I put on an Avon Cobra . They had good reviews and a mileage warranty of 15,000 miles.

You need to register the purchase. I figured for $128.00 I may as well try it out out.

I had just switched from a Avon because of cracking to a Metzler on the rear when I went down the last time. I still think that thing should have stopped better than it did. Maybe the Metzler?? It just seemed like it was on ice.:think: I guess when I finally grabbed that front brake with the E-3 it had plenty of stopping power???

I'm running the standard 150 front width. Pirelli's. When they wear out, I'll keep the 150 on the front and go with white walls. Really like that fat look.

As far as handling, the 150 doesn't give me any problems now that I lowered the front end 3/4 inch. With tire pressures at 38 front and 42 rear, the scoot feels like it has power steering now that the front has been lowered, the front tire replaced and air pressures up.

Last Bike - 2007 with E3's, stock size, and rear end raised 1 inch.- handled great. Current bike - 2012 model - raised rear and original front with Avon in rear but only because I had a flat and it was all that was available. Will switch to E3's as these wear out

I'm running the standard 150 front width. Pirelli's. When they wear out, I'll keep the 150 on the front and go with white walls. Really like that fat look.

As far as handling, the 150 doesn't give me any problems now that I lowered the front end 3/4 inch. With tire pressures at 38 front and 42 rear, the scoot feels like it has power steering now that the front has been lowered, the front tire replaced and air pressures up.

How hard is it to lower the front of these bikes? What does it take to get it done? Just curious.

How hard is it to lower the front of these bikes? What does it take to get it done? Just curious.

Relatively easy on my 05. I sweated doing it...then said..."just do it"!

Take outer fairing and windshield off. Take off the 4 nuts/bolts that holds inner fairing to frame. Pull inner fairing forward and stuff towel in there to keep it away from steering area. Cover tank. Remove handlebars and lay down on tank. Remove large silver nut. Remove two more bolts in front of triple tree. Etc.. Heck...go here and read all about it...

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?939-Lowering-the-Front-End

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?22482-lowering-front-end

FYI... I promise I use the search button all the time but it doesn't work the same on the mobile app as it does on a regular laptop or desktop. I don't own either of those. My phone is nearly as big as a tablet anyway.. Lol! Just don't want anyone thinking I don't use the search button. My phone is my work and my life so I use it for everything! Thanks for the links! I will check them out.

Wow! You guys were not joking when you said the Dunlop E3 is a good tire! I had mine replaced this morning before leaving on a bigger ride North. Simply put, I cannot believe the difference in the handling of the bike. Night and day! Apparently my Avon was much worse than I thought! I was fighting a battle from the day of purchase I guess. I just figured it was the handling characteristics of a heavier, full dressed bike. Boy was I wrong! Thanks for all the advice guys. Really paid off!