IGNORED

Help Needed On What to Check Next

Ky. Rider

My 06 (40,000 miles), after a week road trip, sit in the garage for about a week. Went to crank it and noticed that I didn't hear the usual click, click, click of the fuel pump when I turned the key on and it wouldn't start. So, after reading up on the problem on this forum I have changed the fuel filter (still nothing), changed the fuel pump points (still nothing), changed the fuel pump with an oem, took off the gas cap for possible ventilation problem, and it still acts like it is starving for fuel. It can sit awhile and crank and run fine for a minute and then the fuel starving begins. When I try to throttle up it won't and will eventually starve out and go dead. Sounds like fuel to me but I'm at wits end. Thanks. Bill ps Also, I'll add this but I don't see how it can be related, the ignition switch has gotten a little tricky to turn on. Thanks again for any suggestions.

Edited by Ky. Rider
more info

You need to hear the clicking when you turn on the ignition. Check the connector at the fuel pump with a test light. It should power up for about 5 seconds after you turn on the ignition. If it doesn't then you have to trace it back to where the interruption is, possibly the ignition switch itself.

Do the headlights come on, does everything else work. If it was the ignition switch it wouldn't start and run then die.Also if the tank is full the bike will run even if the fuel pump is bad, I also hate to ask the next question but I have to. It does have enough gas in the tank. Also switch the thing over to reserve and see if it will run then.

Thanks to those of you who gave suggestions on what to check for. The problem has been found and it is a new one on me and I have not seen any like this before out of an RSV so beware. The computer (brain) that controls the fuel pump among other things has gone bad. I have two choices of repair, a new one from Yamaha for $800 or a used one from a wrecked RSV for $200. Since a Yamaha mechanic of 18 years said this was the first time he has seen this happen on an RSV I am going to play the chances and go with the used one for $200. Hope it stays healthy until I'm ready to get rid of the 06 for an upgrade.

You actually have a third choice. A new Dyna 3000. It retails for 299.99 but can sometimes be found at a discount from some vendors. Several of us have gone to it just because of the adjustments that it allows in the rev limiter, advance, etc. Simple direct plug and play install.

A quick Google search found this one. I know nothing about this company but the price is good at $212.00.

http://cycleplicity.com/products/100131-dynatek_d3k7_4_dyna_3000_series_ignition_system_for_yamaha.aspx?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_content=Yamaha-RoyalStarVentureMMLimitedEditionXVZ1300-100131GSMakeModelFitment&utm_campaign=GSMakeModelFitment&adtype=pla&kw=&utm_term=&adpos=1o2&network=g&gclid=CJbgnrDplscCFceQHwodEiUCyg