IGNORED

Jet Ski saga continues

Freebird

OK... a few weeks ago I posted our our first outings on the jet ski. One wouldn't run and the other actually sunk.

So....I changed the plugs, cleaned the carbs and just did some normal tuning on the one that wouldn't run and got it going pretty good.

The one that sunk had a cracked expansion chamber that was spraying water inside the ski and I found a water hose plugged up that probably caused it to hold water and freeze and crash the chamber over the winter. Got the water out of the engine, got the expansion chamber all welded up, got it all back together and running pretty good.

So all is well. Right? Uh...WRONG. Took them both out again.

I decided to put them in the water one at a time and try them before unloading both. I started with the one that sank last time. Unloaded it and all seemed well. Went and parked the Murano and trailer with there other still on it. Got on the ski, then Eileen got on the ski. About the time I started to fire it up.....we realized that we were SINKING again. Got off of it quickly and ran to get the Murano and trailer. Got it loaded back up but it was completely full of water again.

Decided to try the other one while we were there. Got it unloaded and except for idling a little rough, it ran very well. We rode around on it for a while and then headed back home.

Got home and starting trying to figure out where the leak was. Put some water in the hull and nothing was leaking. So I decided what the heck...it HAS to be leaking from somewhere so I just kept putting water in it. Finally, when the water got up to the drive shaft, water started running out of the hull. Yep, the drive shaft seal is shot.

So, I ordered new drive shaft bearings and seal on Monday and am waiting for them to get here so I can get them installed. This is my very first experience with Jet Skis but I'm learning about them fast.

Of course to replace the drive shaft bearings and seals, the drive shaft has to come out. To get the drive shaft out, you have to almost pull the motor so that it will slide forward enough to come out. Didn't have to pull it all the way out, just enough that the shaft will slide under it and can be removed.

Here are some pictures of how a shade tree mechanic works on a jet ski. :(

pic1.jpg

pic2.jpg

pic3.jpg

Well, was never much of a boat guy - never ever did get to ride one of those jet skis before Don BUT - I can say this, after spending many many years chasing around the Michigan forests during the winter time on 3 cylinder water cooled 1000cc Thundercat Snowmobiles - just seeing the pic of that motor you had to almost pull to fix the seal made my eyes tear up :dancefool::dancefool::dancefool::178::178::178::178:

Stick with it my friend (and I KNOW you will) and it wont be long before you and Eileen will be rippingggg across the water!!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

And this is why I stick with Yamaha for EVERY power sport...:Laugh: I have a '96 Yamaha Venture 3-seat 700cc twin with 170 hr and a '97 GP1200 2 seat 1200cc triple. I have done nothing but carb cleaning, spark plugs, and a fuel level sending unit for the 1200.

Do you know how long these sat before you purchased? The output shaft seals are not really known for going bad to often unless they dry-rot with lack of use.

Well the parts came right after I posted that. I got the new bearings and seals in, new intake and exhaust gaskets, motor back in and everything buttoned up. It is running good. Just have to see if it will float now. Will probably take it back to the lake tomorrow. I think this time I'll leave it on the trailer for a few minutes though after I back it down the ramp.

Hate you are having jet ski troubles....but I can arrange for the sale of an 18ft boston whaler outrage.....I know it won't sink!

Quite a few years back Boston Whaler had a comercial about how their boats were made to no sink. The front part of the boat was sawed off and it srill floats up the river.

That's why my father in law bought one. With him in a nursing home and the boat needing a 2-3 man crew to load and unload on the trailer there's not a good reason for my mother in law to keep it. Mike really wants it, however its another toy we just don't have room to store. When Mike talks with his mom and we can get pics I'll post it on the site.

It would have. Got it all together and put water in it and it's leaking around the edges of the new bearing/seal flange. Got to pull it back apart and get it sealed somehow. Have tried twice and still leaking. So...haven't taken it out yet.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got most of the bugs worked out of these things. We have had them out to Lake Erie three or four times now with no major problems. I DID learn yesterday though that about the time you think you have learned all about riding these things, they WILL show you that you aren't all that good yet. I was having a great time when it decided to throw me off about 40 MPH or so. Scared me a bit at first but it happened so fast that it was over with before I knew what had happened. Didn't hurt near as bad as some motorcycle crashed I've had though.

At least the lanyard kils the motor and it doesn't run off very far. It does NOT come to you when you whistle for it though. :confused24:

Lake Erie was really rough yesterday. Not really white caps just huge swells. Bad enough that there weren't many boats out. I think the skis spent more time in the air than on the water though.

My Yamah GP1200s are notorious for bouncing and porpoising. If you're having problems with keeping the ski in the water in chop you can shim down the tail of the ride plate with some stainless washers, same as triming an outboard.

I spend Saturday manhanding my dock and peir back up on their trailers. Mom's place flooded and the peir almost floated way with the skies and pontoon attached. Luckily we grabbed them and tied them off to the shed.

Finally got most of the bugs worked out of these things. We have had them out to Lake Erie three or four times now with no major problems. I DID learn yesterday though that about the time you think you have learned all about riding these things, they WILL show you that you aren't all that good yet. I was having a great time when it decided to throw me off about 40 MPH or so. Scared me a bit at first but it happened so fast that it was over with before I knew what had happened. Didn't hurt near as bad as some motorcycle crashed I've had though.

At least the lanyard kils the motor and it doesn't run off very far. It does NOT come to you when you whistle for it though. :confused24:

Lake Erie was really rough yesterday. Not really white caps just huge swells. Bad enough that there weren't many boats out. I think the skis spent more time in the air than on the water though.

Throw you off at 40 MPH?? I know all about that!! What are you doing up there to things you work on??:Avatars_Gee_George::Avatars_Gee_George:

Well both the skis are pretty much perfect now. I traded them both in and will pick up the new ones on Friday. They are fun for me but Eileen absolutely loves riding them and that is the most important thing. I decided that I wanted some that I wouldn't be worried about leaving us stranded somewhere.

So, Friday I will pick up two brand new 2015 Yamaha VX Cruisers. These are not high performance skis but we are too old to be high performance riders. :) They are just a few steps above entry level. 1052cc inline four strokes, fuel injected and with some nice features like cruise control, no wake mode, fingertip reverse, etc.

Top speed around 55 MPH...maybe 60 on perfect water. It's all we need. They will be on a brand new two place trailer.

So...I'm riding a Yamaha again. :)

2015-Yamaha-VX-Cruiser-EU-Pure-White-Studio-001-1.jpg