IGNORED

Bought running Venture for 250$ - need help with suspension

I realize that, it's just here in Georgia there aren't many 1st gens floating around for sale, most of the owners are members on the forum, and we don't have the ability to travel outside the state really. Well I might if my husband wouldn't worry his pretty head about me on trips with a truck and trailer....oh well, such is life.

I just looked on craigs and there are several located in the Athens, GA listings starting at $100.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

Small UPDATE: Bought a new battery for it at Wally World.

Also: Finding a second road worthy venture for less than 300$ is tougher than I thought. Looks like well have to spend about 600$ for another running venture.

Still cant decide between Cancun or Anchorage or Vegas.

Edited by jfman

Heck, Bill...ya beat me to it!

Tell you what, jfman, if you make it to Tucson, I'll buy you a steak dinner and take you to the airport!

I picked Cancun and Vegas because they have cheap direct flights to Montreal.

I did go thru Tucson last year on my other bike :)

• 1 month later...

Work continues to get this beast adventure ready.

BRAKES!!!

Ok guyz brakes need to be sorted badly.

I removed both front calipers to inpect pads. Right side brake pads are worn out. Left side brake pads are almost like new. While riding, front brakes are mushy and rear brakes are... Hummm. AWOL. :)

I decide to bleed front first. Right side bleeds well. Then I move to the left side. There seems to be zero connection between front master and left caliper. Zero squirt on the left even with the banjo bolt removed from the caliper.

Now I hit the rear brake pedal and "squirt!!!" fluid comes out from the left front caliper line.

What kind of evil manure is this!?!?

This is a linked system and I dont understand how its all linked up.

Is there an easy(read cheap) way to seperated front and rear to make it normal again?!?

I want rear brake action when pedal braking and dual caliper front brake action when squeezing lever.

side note: i also need to find metallica black album and kill em all on cassette :)

Run two lines from the master to the front calipers, or a line to a splitter and then to each caliper. Unfortunately, you're probably going to have to buy brake lines to separate front and rear brakes.

The rear you can gut the proportioning valve and hook the brake line up.

Lots of threads about this very thing. Do a search for " delinking brakes"...

Edited by Great White

At least you did not discover the linked brakes on gravel or sand........:scared:

I would start by doing a good flush of all the brake fluid and the clutch. Old fluid causes many evils on this bike. Once flushed see what yo have for brakes.

There is a bit more to delinking the 83-85, the front master is a 1/2 inch bore, (12.7mm) the later Ventures have a 14mm bore, this is better for running 2 calipers.

Ok so its normal for the front lever to operate the right caliper only. That is insane!

I have an almost brand new front master cylinder from a 2012 Yamaha FZ6z that should be decent. Bad timing however is that I had 9 parts bikes in the back yard and (80s yamahas and suzukis) and I called the metal guy to get them hauled away 2 days ago!!! I bet my brake lines were in the there. :( I even had a maximX 700 :(

Ok best not to get discouraged.

For the rear master. Where and how do I cap it? Does anyone have a photo?

Everything is very well hidden on this beast :)

I have brakes!

I used the lower brake lines, banjo bolts and split from a Honda Sabre. The I used the main line from a Virago 535 and finally the master and lever from a 2010 fz6r.

the upper line is too long so I had to route it west to LA then back East to NYC. I just need to splice the wire going to the brake switch, zip tie the splitter to the lower triple and Ill be done.

Anti dive is history btw.

No road test becuase of rain but lever feels great.

At the rear I used a stubby bolt (with big copper washer stolen from a head bolt) that I stuck into the master to block off the line going to the front. I had to grind off that little nub on the master that the oem line buts up against.

Rear brakes feel great as well.

Very happy, total cost of Zero dollars on this fix.

edit: I juste ordered a set of front brake pads for it 10$

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by jfman

image.jpgimage.jpgThis forum is very helpful, a tromendous asset! Thank you for all that have helped!

Today I messed with the anti dive. I used two nuts that I put inside the antidive device. As I bolted the cap down, it pressed the antidive piston down.

I don't know if anyone answered your air suspension question to your satisfaction.

My '85 has the compressor removed and I installed a couple of air pressure gauges with air ports. Cost: about $18

A $20 air pump that runs on 12V is used to top off the suspension, when needed. A small bicycle hand pump would also work.

I also have installed Progressive fork springs, so, I put about 6 psi of air in the forks when carving corners. No air normally.

The rear suspension I generally run about 50 psi of air.

BTW: I carry around 250lbs . . .

NICE,,, very very NICE!! :clap2::clap2::dancefool::dancefool: Congrats JF on both the find :thumbsup: and the job well done on sorting things out with the brakes:thumbsup:..

Kinda does look like she may need a front tire (sounds like your the kinda gear head that already knew that - thought I would toss it out there anyway) before ya ride her to far, these puppy's are sorta spooky to ride if a tire goes PFFFFFFF..

Yep she has a new rear dunlop 404 but the front is toast. My friend gave me a slightly used tire he pulled from his new bike so I am going to slap that on this weekend. Its a trailwing tire for the rear of a dual sport bike but I read on advrider quite a few have put them on the front of a cruiser with great success.

Gonna do a few dirt roads with this beast.

image.jpgNew front tire

now waiting on brake pads and fork seals

also what is the best way to pull the fork legs I got it all loose and started to pull on the legs and I then I noticed the crossover line for the air system is in the way.

Acess not easy in the fairring but still possible to remove the fork tubes from the air lines and pull them out like on a regular bike?

• 3 weeks later...
Cowpuc can tell you all about dirt roads on a 1st gen. No worries.

:big-grin-emoticon:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]102237[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]102239[/ATTACH]

The best of the best,,, aim carefully for Savoy - which is on 14a (more commonly known as Spearfish Canyon.. 14a is paved BUT, when you get to the lodge head west on Roughlock Falls Road/222 as shown here on map, after playing in the falls, continue west and drop down to Wagon Canyon Road to 105/Grand Canyon Rd, follow 105 to Sundance Rd and Sundance up to Sundance and pavement over to Devils Tower.. Fantastic two day trip - camp on Wagon Canyon Rd in Mountains before you come to 1'x2' "Wyoming State Line" sign nailed to tree - you will have Elk bugling all night.. A few "quad" only spots that are traversable on a 1st Gen - not bad at all.

http://www.gosur.com/map/?gclid=Cj0KEQiA0-GxBRDWsePx0pPtp4sBEiQACuTLNs-Jivc0IE95wjwFjXDYzyzyev1TlT3rbF1C8HuJbocaApUs8P8HAQ&z=15&ll=44.352489,-103.922954&t=hybrid&lang=en

:thumbsup: