IGNORED

10-18 Day Trip by Myself?

Chaharly

Well guys I have my new rotor on express delivery and I should be leaving this Monday to see Colorado for the first time on the bike. Thinking of missing some work and making it like a 15 day ride. If that's the case I'll be doing some true CTFW-ing! Planning on bringing my goose hunting coat (waterproof AND super warm) Frogtog Rain pants, leather chaps and a couple of pairs of PJ's to wear under my jeans if necessary. As far as tools, bringing my metric wrench set, allen wrench set, 3/8th drive ratchet, possibly a reducer and some 1/4 drive stuff, voltmeter, and some wire. Other than that I plan on traveling real light with a @cowpuc special Meeenards tent, my wally world lawn chair, and my scientifically proven double wrapped with a trash bag sleeping bag.

Any suggestions on where to go from Colorado do to some real site seeing. I'm about 8 hours from steam boat springs where I'm from in Norfolk, Ne, planning on staying 2 days or so in CO.

Also any CTFW tips or ideas that you guys have for me will be greatly appreciated and taken into account, and don't worry guys... there WILL be pictures!!!

If you go on the Million Dollar Highway (highly suggested) stop by Mesa Verde Natl Park. From there you can make a loop over the Moab Utah and see Arches Natl Park and Canyonlands Natl Park. Back over into Colorado via I70 and over Independence Pass.

Travel safe!!

Good idea guys I will probably do that. Million dollar highway was allready on my bucket list but I've always wanted to see Arches Natl. Park.

And yeah BlueSky I'm back to working 55 hours a week so now when I have time off I'm usually sleeping :) I'll try to get on more though because I miss Yammer Dans ordeal and feel pretty bad

If time allows take 285 south to Poncha Springs then 50 west or, 50 out of Montrose heading east.

This takes you over Monarch summit, past Dillon Pinnacles,the mini-grand canyon, and Gunnison. Some great scenery and a great ride.

Ride Safe!

2nd above. Love the Gunnison area. Heck, I spent 6 years going all over Colorado. Enjoyed the riding there. From Estes Park to Vail to 285....any of the small 2 lanes. Yep...like that area.

Oh...stop at Glenwood Springs for a soak....

david

PS. Glad you are bringing warm gear. Can get chilly fast..even in summer. And take your time..watch out for dehydration. At 7 to 9K feet altitude, you can dry out pretty quick...

Yeah, I'm actually going to find work in the Gunnison area when I get out there. I might have to print this off so I have my own travel list lol.

I plan on being in AZ too so maybe we can meet up for lunch or you could show me the sights!

Ah, 15 days? Thats a fair amount of time, guy can cover a LOT of miles in 15 days Cha - sounds like an epic in the making!!:clap2::clap2::dancefool::dancefool::dancefool:

Few quick questions before I make any suggestions..

You riding alone on the scoot or doing one up?

Got others on bikes going with ya?

You planning on making the "ride" the adventure (sun up till sun down) or more of a stop and spend hours looking at museums and stuff?

Any problem putting that Meenards tent (good choice by the way) to its paces sleeping in Cemeterys, at abandoned gas stations and out on the desert/prairie floor?

Oppsss,, just read your last post about it being about looking for work!! SOunds AWESOME!!!! Wish you NOTHING but the best in locating that perfect job Cha!!:thumbsup:

No its a ride for leisure, but I've thought about going to school there and if I can find an interesting opportunity I would apply. I'm riding 1 up, by myself. Pretty much sun up to sun down budget riding. I want to see a lot of road :) I have brand new tires front and back, a new brake rotor and rear brake pads (long story), and I'm ready to ride.

I have no problem finding convenient last minute campgrounds either :Cool_cool36:

If you have time and a couple extra bucks, grab an extra fuel pump (used is fine as long as it works) to put in your maintenance department to do a quick change if necessary - no sense in spending precious ride time trying to repair the old one if the points go. Carry a good supply of tie-wraps (I call them motorcycle bandaids). Carry an extra small flashlight in your MD too, sharp knife, a 16 inch pair of Channel Locks (my favorite tool of all time, doubles as a weapon if needed). Other than good LONG screw drivers (double as pry bars), 4 feet of gas line, small amount of Duc Tape, little tube of hand cleaner and a couple grease rags - your maintenance department sounds great!

Going alone I would take my bike out, find my perfect sitting position (for me its leaned way back resting against a sleeping bag, bars folded back into a "Chopper" position). Get a old windshield and cut it down so the air flows just over your head at speed. Should end up with a good 4 inches of open view over the top of the shield. Make a spot to carry a gallon of water and an extra gallon of gas (or two).

For clothing, dont forget to pack a Balacalava, couple extra old Hooded sweatshirts your gear sounds good..

Your headed to the mountains, explore em mornings to 1 pm, and after 4 in the afternoon. Seems like mid day is when they like to go into weather mode..

Personally, I dont think really really good biking begins till ya get on the west side of the rockies in most area's - just talking sheer biking pleasure! Gotta get out of the humidity and BUGS!! That said, I would CTFW my way down to Flagstaff from Gunnisonto, ride 89a down to Jerome AZ but go no farther to avoid massive heat, turn around and reride 89a back up to Flag, up to the west entrance of the Grand Canyon, out the east gate and up to Page, into Utah and across to the North Rim then up thru Kanab, out thru Zion. After you break out onto I-15 from Zion, check your calendar - you should still have 11 days of riding left. Go north to Cedar City and then head west across Area 51 (Nellis), cross into California thru Yosemite NP, cross over to Hwy 1, stop and visit the fine folks gathering for Venture West in Yureka. Ride back thru Bend Oregon and grab come out thru Yellowstone and Cody Wyoming before heading south toward home.

The only place living out of the saddlebags and dropping the tent in one of "our" type of campgrounds will be California - not exactly a user friendly state. I dont bother with campgrounds but, I have also been notified several times when road side sleeping there that its not legal in Cali - life is a little different there.. Once you get above Bodega Bay along Hwy 1 this seems to back off some..

GET ER DONE CHA!! Where ever you end up, please dont forget the :photographing:'s to cover your butt when ya get home.. You know how some of our friends here are - it would be a shame to have covered all those miles and then have no proof that you did!!!

Another thing, no idea if your into gaining an official "Iron Butt" status thing like a lot of these fine folks here have done.. If you are, trips like you are talking are prime candidates for earning that badge. Gurantee you will have at least one 1000 mile day (probably more) if you ride sun up till sun down - especially if you tend to loosen the reins on that gorgeous Venture when she gets into the open in the desert - they do love to run!!!

LET ER BUCK CHA!!:thumbsup:

Chaharly,

I'm so excited for you. You're gonna see some awesome stuff. Zzyzx hit on a good start of a route for you.

Take 285 to Poncha Springs. Then go west on Hwy 50 to Montrose. This will take you up over Monarch Pass, around Blue Mesa Reservior, through Gunnison, then to Montrose. Make sure before you get to Montrose, you got to Black Canyon of the Gunnison. It's about 10-15 miles bofore Montrose on the right. Amazing place to see!

Leaving Montrose, go south on Hwy 550 all the way to Durango. This is the famous Million Dollar Highway! Be sure to check out to real cool towns on this stretch: Ouray, and Silverton. These two mining towns are cool places to stop and grab some grub grub and memorabilia.

Leaving Durango, go west on Hwy 160 and check out Mesa Verde NP. Real cool Indian history. Then, keep heading west on Hwy 160 and check out 4 corners just to say you did. Its a monument where 4 states meet, but, just as important is it is where 4 major Indian nations meet. Then continue west to Kayenta, AZ. From Kayenta, head north on Hwy 163 to just past the Utah border and go to Monument Valley Park. It's on the right. Unbelievable beauty. Lotta John Wayne info there. Then keep heading north on 163 to Hwy 191. Take Hwy 191 to Moab, UT.

From Moab, go just north of town and go to Arches NP, and Canyonlands NP. MAKE SURE YOU GO TO CANYONLANDS NP! Arches is cool to see, but Canyonlands is akin to the Grand Canyon with some unbelievable views. Stunning! After seeing Arches and Canyonlands, head back south toward Moab and before you get to town, take Hwy 128 west all the way to I-70. Rider Magazine ranked this hwy oen of the best motorcycle rides in America and i agree. It runs right alongside the Colorado river for miles. Pleanty of camping areas too.

When you get to I-70, head east back toward Denver. You will go through Glenwood Canyon, and that area is rated the most beautiful stretch of interstate highway in the nation. The Canyon gets so narrow, they had to stack the interstate lanes on top of each other.

After that, you can go wherever. LOL. It's all beautiful out there.

CJ, Puc and Big Lenny are right on...we are in Heat mode right now...so any further south of Sedona/Prescott/Payson area is a bit much. This is our break time from riding during the day at 110 degrees is a bit much...even with proper gear on.

I live 200 miles south of that below Tucson. I only ride in early am or late night to avoid the heat . Come October...it's full time riding for us until June again.

If I can meet you, I will do that. Never got to meet Puc and Tip last year with commitments and heat.

But if you do come down 89A...go down to Cottonwood...skip over 260 East (Camp Verde) then up to the Mogollon Rim (Mug-ee-own) then come down 87 to Pine, Strawberry and Payson. Then back East further on 260 (beware speed trap at bottom of hill in Star Valley..just East of Payson) back up onto the Rim...and from there you can head east to Show Low...then on 60 East to New Mexico, visit Pie Town..get a t-shirt and eat some pie... the antenna array...etc...and then I-25 north to Santa Fe, 84 north to Pagosa Springs on NE to 160 to 285 and you've just done a very nice loop! From there...Home whatever way you wish.

Call me on my cell when you know your time frame in AZ and maybe I can meet you in Payson area....

david

Edited by videoarizona

I hosted the '07 International Rally in Ft. Collins and there were some awesome roads in that area. Estes Park was worth the ride as the Stanley Hotel (where they filmed the Shining) is there. I dont think you can go wrong anywhere you travel in Colorado.