IGNORED

Detroit

mraf

Last time I was up there say 2yr ago, all the roads re beatm Frost heaves, pot holes from huge 10 axle trucks, just plain ruff in a car. So if your on the bike be watchful. As far as safety, in that area when you will be ther I think your OK. I have not had any problems. Ford museum and Greenfield Village are both pretty cool. Next to it use to be the Ford test track, but I dont even know if they use it any more. If your into Mexican food there is a yummy place near Greek Town I think. We have called it Zoshies. I think the actual name is xochimencos or something like that.

Lost a friend of mine 4 years ago to having his cup pop out of his cup holder and get caught in the steering.. I personally use of styro foam cups (even a capped bottle of water can cause problems) and have had them jump out of my cup holder many time (sometimes I catch em, sometimes they bathe me).. I only mention this cause I happen to know first hand how terrible those east side roads can be.. Watch the rough roads - at speed those holes come up REAL QUICK!!

LOTS of great VR family over there that will probably chime in here, IMHO, pay attention to their advice..

The Henry Ford Museum and Greenfield Village ("The Henry Ford" as they like to call it now) are in Dearborn, not Detroit. While it's not far from Detroit there is a big difference in public safety and city services. It's tucked against the main Ford research and engineering park and is quite safe, although you still don't want to leave anything unsecured in the parking lot.

The roads here are awful, be prepared for pot hole dodging. The nearest freeway (M39, Southfield Freeway) is one of the oldest in the country. It's narrow and very busy at rush hour. Unless you are a thrill seeker stay away from it from 7-9 and 3-6. One thing you need to know about driving here left turns across divided roads are usually prohibited. Instead you need to make a "Michigan Left". In a Michigan Left you go through the intersection and make a U-Turn across the boulevard. Then turn right to resume your route. Most of them are pretty well marked with signage, you just have to watch for them.

Not too far from the museum/ village is Fairlane Mall. My impression is you want to avoid it, especially after dark. There are some decent eateries on the ring road around it that should be fine.

Edited by MiCarl

The Village and the Museum are top notch, a must see when you are in the area. Just be sure to gas up before getting to Detroit because you don't dare stop in the city for any reason. The Village and the Museum are in Dearborn Mi a very nice and safe place, but getting to it :shock3:. Have a fun and safe visit .Just don't judge the rest of Michigan by what you see in Detroit. There is also a Ford factory tour to check out.

Take 2 days in the museum, there's a lot to see, especially if you are a detail looker.

It's been a number of years since I was there, but as I recall it was a pretty brisk trot to get through it in a day. 2 days is a good tip.

I live less than 5 miles from there. Dearborn is a nice area. Roads are a bit rough in spots. Depending on where your coming from , you don't really even have to go through Detroit to get there. I travel through Detroit regularly with no issues though. When are you thinking of coming ? I may be able to guide you around town a bit.

Thanks everyone for the info. We are still in the planning stages. Grapes are all caught up and its raining about everyday here recently so the haymaking is on hold too. If we go it will be spur-of-the-moment so exact date and times:confused24:. Thanks for the offers anyway, maybe another time. Everyone northeast of the MIssissippi please think sunshine.:sun: