IGNORED

Opinions... 2006 Suzuki M50

Venturous

As you may know... selling my Venture. When listed it... I mentioned a possible swap for a smaller bike to teach my sons to ride on.

Have interest in a swap for a 2006 Suzuki M50 Boulevard. Looks like a nice enough bike and is a liquid cooled 800c.

Anyone know anything about these? Reliability... known issues kind of stuff.

Thanks.

I have a 01 vl800 that is basically a c-50 with a carb not FI.

These are very reliable bikes, sort of entry level if you will. But with proper maintenance it should last you a while.

People complain about the buzziness of the engine at highway speeds but I make a modified drive to cure that.

There have been many reports of dry propeller shaft splines on the differential end leading to failure. So if you get it pull the drive and put some moly paste on each end. You'll probably have the back wheel off to check the brake shoes that leads me to mention that the rear brake is more than adequate..

On the c-50 the stock seat is often replaced with a mustang seat or equivalent and people install pull back risers for comfort.

The valves need adjusting every 12K miles but they are of the bolt and lock nut type and not to difficult after you have done it once. The engines seem to average 50K miles but of course there are better and worse examples out there, I have 35K mi. With no issues. Timing chain noise on some bikes is also a complaint.

Go to VolusiaRiders.com for lots of great insight

I would recommend this bike.

Had an 06 C50T for about 5 years and put on over 40k. Was a good light weight bike, loved the way I could move in traffic at low speeds. As stated above yes it does whine the highway at speeds above 60. The shaft can be replaced with a C90 with some mod done to it. I had that on mine and yes it was great for the highway. Yes the seats need replaced only good for about a 30 min ride, pull back risers are a good move also. Once I get settled down and pay off some stuff, I going to look for another one. Sold mine and the new owner still had it and it has over 75k on it.

I had the VL 800 also, same bike just yours is FI. I bought it new in 2004 adjusted the valves on it one time and sold it last year with 80000 miles on it, still running like a charm. Keep oil changed and tires on it and ride it like you like it. One of my favorite bikes before getting the Venture. I used the Air Hawk seat cushion on mine and could ride over 300 miles a day with no problem.:Venture:

I had a Kawasaki 900 vulcan. About same size bike. Dont know anyone thats had problemswith the C50. I think any bike in that engine size range on open road is going to be buzzy. My 900 I put an overdrive pully on it and it helped.

I got to ride an M50 for a day and found it to be a nice little bike aside from the aforementioned high speed vibrations. In my opinion it's a great around town and on secondary roads. The only concern I would have is that your kids might outgrow it pretty soon.

I got to ride an M50 for a day and found it to be a nice little bike aside from the aforementioned high speed vibrations. In my opinion it's a great around town and on secondary roads. The only concern I would have is that your kids might outgrow it pretty soon.

Not a big fan of putting anyone on a big bike right off the bat, the VL800 seemed pretty big for the first few years.

Agree, too big of a bike for learning on.

In my opinion.

There is also the dilemma of too small for to short of time. what I mean is if you get them a 250 in 3 months they want something they can actually ride. Now I wouldn't start them off on a KZ 1000 or anything. the 8-900cc bikes are now "mid sized" Granted they are a heck of a lot bigger than what we learned on, but the handling is sooo much better on them now. I certainly wouldn't start probably any lower than 600-650 range. But thats me. Its a catch 22 for sure, danged if you do and danged if you dont.

That was exactly my bike before I got my venture. It was my first bike ever. I loved it but it definitely vibrated the hell out of me 70+ mph on the interstate. Great "little" motorcycle. Good gas mileage. Very reliable. Great looking bike.

Mind you, I was 38 when I bought my M50. It had to be a bigger bike for my first bike because I'm 6'7". I would have looked funny on a 650 or smaller. I looked a little funny in the M50. I had it for a little over a year before getting the Venture.

That was exactly my bike before I got my venture. It was my first bike ever. I loved it but it definitely vibrated the hell out of me 70+ mph on the interstate. Great "little" motorcycle. Good gas mileage. Very reliable. Great looking bike.

I loved mine, but after an hour at higher speeds I had to stop to get the buzzing out of my hands and arms. That said, I'd like to have it in the garage for shorter trips and anything in the city. Wouldn't trade or do with out my RSV.