IGNORED

Traded 2011 Voyager for 2013 Voyager

Godlover

I know I don't post here often as I haven't had a Royal Star for some time. However, I hang around and keep my membership as this has been the best motorcycle forum I have joined by far. Those who know me know that I had a tendency to trade and sell bikes (understatement) - so who knows what I am riding from week to week! :) Two years ago I sold my Tour Deluxe for a 2010 Kawasaki Voyager - didn't keep long - didn't like the engine heat. Took a 99 Roadstar in on trade which began a two year love for the Roadstar line. I know I bought and sold over 10 Roadstars in those two years. In April I came across a 2011 Voyager for $8200 miles with less than 9,000 miles. Met the guy 1/2 way and road it home. He lived on gravel and when I got into it I have never seen a dirtier road bike. I had to pull the side panels off to clean the caked mud off the inside. I replaced the rear tire and I'm surprised the wheel wasn't way out of balance due to the mud caked on the inside of the hub. She cleaned up pretty good but my concern was how well it was cared for. The good news was the PO had purchased an extended warranty - giving me some peace. The 2011 still had the heat issue but I had planned to have the dealer install the KAM system now available and comes stock on 2012 and newer Voyagers.

The hard bags on the 11 were cracked slightly so I was trying to get Kawasaki to replace my bags under warranty and when I was at the dealer the salesperson told me they just took a 2013 Voyager in on trade. So I looked it over and the salesperson said, "The guy who got this traded it on a new Voyager and I can make you a sweet deal." I thought, "Yeah, right!" For the fun of it I said shoot me a price - and he offered it to me for my bike and $2200. Since, I had planned to have the dealer install the KAM (air management system that takes care of the heat problem) on my 2011 at a cost of $600 to $700 anyway and the 2013's come with the KAM unit I figured we are at $1500 difference. Plus, the 2013 has ABS brakes and mine didn't. So, i traded up two years and got a bike that wasn't quite a beat up as mine, Picked up the bike yesterday and all that I didn't like about the 2010 and 11 is gone. Felt no heat from the engine and the ABS brakes are a big improvement. The 2013 seems more responsive as well.

A few of you may be tempted to start taking odds at how long I hold on to this bike. I am making no promises!! :)

image.jpg

image.jpg

Those voyagers are sweet and handle well. Mother Kawi knew about the heat and looked the other way, shame on them. If they didn't cut corners with that and a few other touring things like rear speakers and a killer radio, the voyager would be a top touring bike. That said, it's a great bike and if you keep it more than 30 days, you should have a lot of trouble free miles...

Those voyagers are sweet and handle well. Mother Kawi knew about the heat and looked the other way, shame on them. If they didn't cut corners with that and a few other touring things like rear speakers and a killer radio, the voyager would be a top touring bike. That said, it's a great bike and if you keep it more than 30 days, you should have a lot of trouble free miles...

The rear speakers are another $300 on Ebay and the connections are already there. My 10 had rear speakers. I ride alone so it is no big deal.

The rear speakers are another $300 on Ebay and the connections are already there. My 10 had rear speakers. I ride alone so it is no big deal.

Kawasaki shouldn't make anyone buy speakers, if it's being touted as a touring bike. Harley's , the RSV and goldwing a have REAR speakers. I ride alone 98% of the time, and I love Vulcans as I still have mine, but if you claim to be a touring bike and want to nudge your way into the competition, then stop stepping over dollars to pick up nickels. That's all I'm saying...( meaning Kawasaki as a whole)

Rear Speakers aren't a big deal to me - but I understand how some make it an issue. I think Kawasaki cut corners on their flimsy saddle bags. They seem to crack easier than other bags but then I remember how the Yamaha Royal Stars had issues with their trunks for awhile. The more I ride the Voyager the more I love it. The day is approaching when the weight of lifting the bike off the kickstand will be an issue and I'll look for something lighter.