IGNORED

GPS Help

slowrollwv

I have been using MapQuest for a long time now but MapQuest has quit using the Garmin communicator to connect with Garmin. So what maps and software do you use to download routs to the GPS? II have tried Basecamp and it STINKS. Any help is appreciated.:bang head::bang head:

I use Street and Trips. The newer versions will output a GPX file that can be imported into Base camp and then downloaded to your GPS. Also, there are some good tutorials for BC. Will need to get on my home computer to find the links.

RR

http://support.garmin.com/support/searchSupport/simpleCase.htm?caseId={21cb82f0-55c4-11de-f35c-000000000000}&kbName=garmin

Ok, I'm the last person that you should listen to, because I have no idea how to do this, however, the other day I was talking to the garmin guy and he sent me this link to Base Camp. Now I have no idea how to use it yet, and maybe never will, but this is the link he sent. I just started looking at it, and had to quit.

http://support.garmin.com/support/searchSupport/simpleCase.htm?caseId={21cb82f0-55c4-11de-f35c-000000000000}&kbName=garmin

Ok, I'm the last person that you should listen to, because I have no idea how to do this, however, the other day I was talking to the garmin guy and he sent me this link to Base Camp. Now I have no idea how to use it yet, and maybe never will, but this is the link he sent. I just started looking at it, and had to quit.

I find Base Camp to be a pretty crappy program. Hard to use and lousy graphics.

Chuck, try the Harley Davidson trip planner, it lets you upload a route to your GPS. Works pretty good and has info on the best roads to ride.

Jay I tried HD trip planer a few years ago. Put a long ride together and it did load on my garmin but in short segments and loaded the device full. Had to go to the next segment when finished with the first. I don't know if things have changed since then or not.

Base camp was about as ez to follow as IRS instructions. For my simple mind it sucked. I used Streets and Maps prior to owning my Garmin. Mine is like 2009 and will not convert to anything that will download to my 765t. I found TYRE easier to figure out and FREE. So if you cant figure it out it dont cost you a dime. You should be able to find it with a search "trace your route everywhere".

Jay I tried HD trip planer a few years ago. Put a long ride together and it did load on my garmin but in short segments and loaded the device full. Had to go to the next segment when finished with the first. I don't know if things have changed since then or not.

i use hd planner but theres a glitch....you set up route using each stop as a destination then go back and convert them to waypoints...if set all as destinations you end up with short segments....if you start as waypoints then sometimes the route is not as you wanted...tried tyre...didntblike..base camp ..no ..

Ahhh I never could get that Garmin stuff to work rite for me. I started before I had the GPS making routes on the microsoft streets and trips or whatever its called. Then when I got the GPS I learned about TYRE. It was similar to the way Streets and trips worked so I guess for my feeble mind an easier transition. You use to be able to use goggle maps and make a route and import. But now they have changed that all up and have a "new version" and I dont know if you can still do that as I have not tried. Actually google maps was pretty easy. Put in start and end point and drag route to roads you wanted. TYRE works kind of that way still.

Ahhh I never could get that Garmin stuff to work rite for me. I started before I had the GPS making routes on the microsoft streets and trips or whatever its called. Then when I got the GPS I learned about TYRE. It was similar to the way Streets and trips worked so I guess for my feeble mind an easier transition. You use to be able to use goggle maps and make a route and import. But now they have changed that all up and have a "new version" and I dont know if you can still do that as I have not tried. Actually google maps was pretty easy. Put in start and end point and drag route to roads you wanted. TYRE works kind of that way still.

That is just about the same way the HD trip planner works, you just have to change the destinations to waypoints if you have more than one stop.

I use the Harley Ride Planner. It's the only one that has worked well for me, I use a Mac and have the Garmin 660. It has a similar feel to Google Maps. Here's the link.

http://rideplanner.harley-davidson.com/rideplanner/ridePlanner.jsp?showUserRoads=0&showGreatRoads=0&showDealers=0&showHotels=0&showEvents=0&showPlaces=0

That is what I started to use after I was told to change destinations to waypoints. Works pretty well for me.