IGNORED

Today is my Independence Day.

Freebird

Today my 2013 Harley Road Glide is all mine. It is paid off in full. :) I felt some pain after selling a perfectly good '99 Venture that had been paid for a long time and hated adding a motorcycle payment to our bills but it is done now. So I KNOW it's only a Harley but whatever it is, it is all mine now. :thumbsup:

And THAT is a GREAT feeling! Congrats!

Had I not blown a chunk of money on a boat , my Vic would be paid off next month. As it is now, with the purchase of our home, it will not get paid off until April 2016.

Our BIG independence day will be when the home is paid ... 2-3 years away, and then I can retire!

Well, it was premature. I have the money to pay it off but looking at the finances, there are a couple other things that I think I will pay off instead. Interest rate on the bike is 1.9%. I have a couple other things at higher interest and it would make more sense to pay them off at this time. Oh well......it was exciting for a moment. :)

I did the same kind of thing about a year ago. I had 2 loans. A car payment and a personal loan I had gotten from our Credit Union for a new mower and a few other larger items. Well we had a bunch of money saved up and I decided I was paying one of them off. I was going to pay the personal loan off because of the much higher interest rate. But the more I thought about it, even though the interest was higher on the personal loan, the loan amount on the vehicle was much higher per month. So I paid the vehicle off and for the last year I have been paying down the principle on the personal loan with the money I was spending on the vehicle loan. Now I have only a couple months left to pay the personal loan off as well vs the couple more years I would have had. So even taking the higher interest into account, it kind of evened out.

Edited by Ventureless

When we bought the home back in Nov, I decided at that time to continue paying payments on the bike and throw a bit more at it whenever I could. This allowed me to double-up my mortgage payment as well as pay upwards of 1500 each month towards the principal, the goal being to pay it off in 2-3 yrs. Keep in mind it's a manufactured home so I don't have a very large mortgage.

Interest on the bike is something like 3% ... same on the mortgage. Just did some forecasting and if I stick to the plan, mortgage will be paid by Dec 2016, bike will be paid by April same year so ...... keeping my fingers crossed here .... I'm looking at retirement around May 2017. Shortly after that we'll be hitting the road on a year long tour of Canada & US so be prepared y'all as we'll be knockin on yer doors!

The wife and I finally got our last vehicle paid off last Nov. They aren't new by any means, an '06 Equinox, '01 Dodge Ram, '99 Venture, but it sure feels good to NOT have that extra payment each month. You just have to sit down and figure what makes the most $$ sense to you and attack it from there.

:mo money:

Well, it was premature. I have the money to pay it off but looking at the finances, there are a couple other things that I think I will pay off instead. Interest rate on the bike is 1.9%. I have a couple other things at higher interest and it would make more sense to pay them off at this time. Oh well......it was exciting for a moment. :)

Seems to me Don that you made a better decision even though it doesn't give you that same feeling.

There's nothing that compares to getting your cancelled home mortgage papers in the mail from the bank. We had that feeling 15 years ago and it still bring a tingle when I think about it. I guess next would be looking in the driveway and seeing a 2013 Silverado, a 2012 Subaru and the trike - all paid for. (except for insurance)