IGNORED

Headlight and brake light modulators

Brenner

Scanning through the forums and searching for the right headlight upgrade for my needs a I noticed a lot of members upgrade to units that have ballasts. I have a Kisan headlight modulator on the shelf I was considering using but if I chose to run a HID kit or LED conversion I will not be able to run the modulator. I am also considering a brake light flasher for added safety so I ask do any of my fellow forum members run modulators? Be it brake or headlight? I know it is hard to say but might you feel there is a difference now that you have them installed? Thanks to all that may reply.

A headlight modulator will not work with a HID headlight.

Depending on the specific LED head light the modulator may or may not work.

A headlight modulator works by raising and lowering the voltage to the headlight, it never actually turns the headlight off, it just dims it.

A LED element runs on around 4 volts, so there is some kind of voltage reduction built into the LED "ballast". If that reduction is in the form of a regulator, the regulator may smooth out the voltage fluctuations coming from the modulator and the LED will stay steady on, IF there is just a power resistor in that ballast, then the voltage fluctuations will make it thru to the LED element and you will get something from the modulator. A modulator by law is required to fluctuate from full bright to dim, NOT off. with the LED the dim part may turn the LED off, This would make it a flashing light and not a modulated light and would be illegal to use.

Your best bet would be to contact the manufacturer of the specific LED that you have to see if it will work with a modulator.

I'm a big fan of modulated brake lights. I run a brake light modulator on all our bikes.

I've noticed that bikes with headlight modulators tend to stand out. I haven't put on on any of our bikes though. On your '85 I believe you'll have to disable the Reserve Lighting Unit or it'll tie itself in knots.

I noticed a huge improvement when I installed the 100 LED board with flasher module on my 98 Tour Classic, which eventually found its way to my Venture.

I am in the habit of watching my rear views a lot, especially after being rear ended in 98. Cagers that are coming up fast behind me in traffic or at a stop light/sign would nearly lock up their brakes if I flashed them with my brake light flasher. In my opinion, it saved me from being rearended again more than once.

As soon as I am comfortable sorting out the complicated lighting system on my Goldwing, I am putting a flasher on it also.

I have a Rivco brake light bar under my trunk (just brake...not turn/brake) and use the Rivco flasher (flash for 5 seconds then solid).

I didn't want the light bar to do turn as well since I have the Custom Dynamics Run/Turn/Brake lights and the 100 LED brake light.

I ran a headlight modulator on my 900 Vulcan and also the RSV when I first got it. About a year after I got the RSV I swapped to an HID and like the light it puts out. I like the headlight modulators. I think they make the bikes stand out. You dont have to spend the big bucks on a kit with the "automatic eye" thing. All the law says is you can not run a modulated light at night. Well DAH. I had like a $30 something one from JC Jipme hooked up thru a toggle switch worked great and if the modulator happened to crap out, I could flip the switch and have full on headlight.

I also have a brake light modulator flasher gizmo. I like it, I guess because I think it helps people see you when your stopping. I watch for folks pulling up behind me and let loose of the brake and reapply if I have been sitting so they see the light flash again.

Actually the law does require the eye so that it will shut of the modulation at night. There are too many dummies that would try to run it at night if they had the option.

The eye will also stop the flash if you pull into a dark tunnel or building or under a bridge, so that you are not suddenly looking for a switch and driving with a strobe light.

Thanks guys. Yes I have been wanting to install the modulators and know I have to work around the CMS and headlight control. I also recognize that a modulator cannot be used on a ballast HID or LED unit. This is what I am trying to decide on, modulator or brighter lighting? I think my questions were answered best when noted that most do not run the modulators due to our finiky monitoring systems. I have a Kisan Pathblazer with the photocell feature that will work for the front but am unsure of what to run on the rear. I like the different options mentioned and will have to make up my mind sooner or later.

Actually the law does require the eye so that it will shut of the modulation at night. There are too many dummies that would try to run it at night if they had the option.

The eye will also stop the flash if you pull into a dark tunnel or building or under a bridge, so that you are not suddenly looking for a switch and driving with a strobe light.

I'll be dipped. I thought I had read a copy of that law way back when I put mine together and it just said had to not be operated in hours of darkness. Oh well I never got in trouble, and I think as long as you use your head the EYE is not needed. imop

I'm not a fan of a modulator, but am a big fan of using the high beam at all times except with oncoming traffic at night.

Low beams don't stick out and tend to blend in, just seen as another colour, and a flashing low beam only barely stick out part of the time, whereas a high beam says to the opposing traffic: here I come, watch me!!!

Do these modulators work on the high beam or low beam?

Flashing brake lights do have some use, but I would rather make sure I have enough light back there to start with, and although the 1st gens aren't bad, they can still use some help.

Here is the regs;

Transportation

Here is the pertinant part;

Code of Federal Regulations

Title 49, Volume 5, Parts 400 to 999

Revised as of October 1, 2000

From the U.S. Government Printing Office via GPO Access [CITE: 49CFR571.108] [Page 236-307] [TABLE=width: 100%]

[TR]

[TD=width: 15%]TITLE 49[/TD]

[TD]TRANSPORTATION[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=width: 15%]CHAPTER V[/TD]

[TD]NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION, DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=width: 15%]PART 571[/TD]

[TD]FEDERAL MOTOR VEHICLE SAFETY STANDARDS[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Subpart B--Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards

Sec. 571.108 Standard No. 108;

Lamps, reflective devices, and associated equipment.

S7.9.4 Motorcycle headlamp modulation system.

S7.9.4.1 A headlamp on a motorcycle may be wired to modulate either the upper beam or the lower beam from its maximum intensity to a lesser intensity, provided that:

(a) The rate of modulation shall be 240
40 cycles per minute.

(b) The headlamp shall be operated at maximum power for 50 to 70 percent of each cycle.

© The lowest intensity at any test point shall be not less than 17 percent of the maximum intensity measured at the same point.

(d) The modulator switch shall be wired in the power lead of the beam filament being modulated and not in the ground side of the circuit.

(e) Means shall be provided so that both the lower beam and upper beam remain operable in the event of a modulator failure.

(f) The system shall include a sensor mounted with the axis of its sensing element perpendicular to a horizontal plane. Headlamp modulation shall cease whenever the level of light emitted by a tungsten filament light operating at 3000 deg. Kelvin is either less than 270 lux (25 foot-candles) of direct light for upward pointing sensors or less than 60 lux (5.6 foot-candles) of reflected light for downward pointing sensors. The light is measured by a silicon cell type light meter that is located at the sensor and pointing in the same direction as the sensor. A Kodak Gray Card (Kodak R-27) is placed at ground level to simulate the road surface in testing downward pointing sensors.

(g) When tested in accordance with the test profile shown in Figure 9, the voltage drop across the modulator when the lamp is on at all test conditions for 12 volt systems and 6 volt systems shall not be greater than .45 volt. The modulator shall meet all the provisions of the standard after completion of the test profile shown in
Figure 9

(h) Means shall be provided so that both the lower and upper beam function at design voltage when the headlamp control switch is in either the lower or upper beam position when the modulator is off.

S7.9.4.2(a) Each motorcycle headlamp modulator not intended as original equipment, or its container, shall be labeled with the maximum wattage, and the minimum wattage appropriate for its use. Additionally, each such modulator shall comply with S7.9.4.1 (a) through (g) when connected to a headlamp of the maximum rated power and a headlamp of the minimum rated power, and shall provide means so that the modulated beam functions at design voltage when the modulator is off.

(b) Instructions, with a diagram, shall be provided for mounting the light sensor including location on the motorcycle, distance above the road surface, and orientation with respect to the light.

Figure 9;

figure9.gif