IGNORED

If I wasn't already having fun...

GAWildKat

I informed my PCP that I'm having problems with my blood sugar. Mine keeps crashing in the late afternoon and I pass out. So I have to start testing my sugar 3x/day and track it. Yesterday I blacked out on the bike, no candy on me, nor did Mike know what to do. He managed to get me home, but my bg was starting to come up on it's own. I'm staying in a healthy range but is it possible my body's low is above 70? Mine was 89 when I tested, but I still felt horrible. Low bg isn't new to me, I had it in HS and college but wasn't tested or treated for it. Mom's side of the family is diabetic but noone I know has it currently. And to think 3 years ago I was considered borderline prediabetic.

Feeling slightly overwhelmed,

Tricia

Tis Better to have loved and lost than to have never loved at all.

I think everyone is different. I have diabetes because my pancreas does not produce any insulin at all. I am on an insulin pump. I generally try to stay around 100. The few times I have gone low, at 70 I was sweating profusely, so disoriented I didn't know my own wife or 2 kids, and I could not walk. I crawled on my hands and knees to the kitchen where my wife found me and immediately knew what was going on. When she tested me I was at 69. She immediately hit me with a glucose shot and gave me some milk. 2 hours later I was feeling back to normal. So I think the low level depends on the person.

That is Scary!

My wife has been diabetic for 10 years now and had to start using insulin injections about 4 years ago.

When her numbers go below 70 she starts to feel "weird" or "strange" as she puts it.

She knows then that she needs to get protein, carb's, or some sugar into her system quickly.

We had a bad scare last month where she accidently took to much insulin and spent 7 hours in the ER to get her numbers back to normal, she bottomed at 44mg/dl and was quickly approaching "coma range".

You have to take this seriously and remember to EAT some type of protein all during the day to help stabilize you sugar level.

Levels below 70 can quickly become serious as the lower they go the more likely you can become disoriented and unable to think clearly. When blood sugar levels fall below 70 mg/dl, a person may experience some of the following: trembling, intense hunger, nervousness, jitters, rapid heartbeat, cold, sweats and tingling in the fingertips or lips.

ALWAYS carry a some form of sugar and protein with you, candy bars, Coke, jerky, trail mix, sugar packs etc. and not just when you ride. Put them in your cars glove box and have them readily available at home. These can save your life.

Most important: Get with a good doctor/internist that specializes in diabetes and have them do a complete workup including an A1C test.

Here are a couple links for site that can help answer some questions you may have about you levels, low or high.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/patientinstructions/000085.htm

Read more : http://www.ehow.com/facts_4962512_signs-low-blood-sugar-levels.html

I informed my PCP that I'm having problems with my blood sugar. Mine keeps crashing in the late afternoon and I pass out. So I have to start testing my sugar 3x/day and track it. Yesterday I blacked out on the bike, no candy on me, nor did Mike know what to do. He managed to get me home, but my bg was starting to come up on it's own. I'm staying in a healthy range but is it possible my body's low is above 70? Mine was 89 when I tested, but I still felt horrible. Low bg isn't new to me, I had it in HS and college but wasn't tested or treated for it. Mom's side of the family is diabetic but noone I know has it currently. And to think 3 years ago I was considered borderline prediabetic.

Feeling slightly overwhelmed,

Tricia

Kat,

I too am diabetic and from time to time get dizzy like low bg even though I wasn't that out of range. I just have to consider that I may be naturally dizzy and just have to grab onto something when I get that sinking feeling.

I eat plenty of protein, I have to get at least 80grams of protein, I've never been a big fruit eater because of the bg crashes, but the surgeon's office insists I have some fruit. So Cottage cheese and Pineapple are my breakfast/snack food this week. Yeah i plan on starting to carry some dried fruit and nuts with me @all times since the surgeon's office doesn't want me carrying candy or glucose tabs with me. My PCP is an internist, not sure if he specializes in diabetes or not, but he's good. I ate some sushi for lunch, had some applesauce too and I still want to curl up and sleep off the cruddy feeling.

Also, I have almost no warning of a crash, like yesterday, I ate a late lunch, bbq and a taste of some crappy brunswick strew, hopped back on the bike with Mike, was listening to music, abt 45mins later we are in BFE and I slumped over completely out. I came to a few mins later, but couldn't shake that crappy feeling, and Mike not being medical savvy thought the best thing was to take me home and ask me what to do. This time I was lucky. Who knows what will happen next time.

Sounds like you and Mike need to go visit the doc together and have the doc explain what he should do to you when this happens, so that he will know and a bad situation can not become worse.

As mentioned, YOU need to make sure that whatever you might need is always readily available and that Mike knows where it is and what to do with it.

Lol Mike freaks out over medical stuff. Noone wanted to see him as I counted down the days til surgery, he was cranky and moody and not pleasant to be around. He really depends on me to condense the medical info. I'm not even sure we had cell service where we were when I blacked out. I think I need a seat belt on the bike now

I'm starting to understand the situation a little better. It might have been the Brunswick stew. The only place I found to get somewhat descent BWS is at Williamson Bros in Douglasville :)

Hope you never experience that drop again.

Tricia,

Yep, need to keep snacks on bike or in pocket. AND try to eat 5 small meals a day with two of those being healthy snacks. Maybe try some dried fruit. Dried apricots and such come in small bite size portions that will allow you to only eat enough to raise BS back up. Just a thought...I lived with a Type 1 Fragile for 8 months and learned a lot...

Good luck...

david

I dont know nuttin about nuttin but gotta ask, hasnt diabetic medicine gotten to the point that a person can carry a little digital monitor with them - prick thier finger and instantly know exactly where the blood sugar is at and adjust their intake of sugar accordingly? If so, Kat it might not be a bad idea to just carry one around and keep a close eye on your levels and what you eat until you can develop your own system.. Does that sound stupid you guys? If so just tell me and I will shut up :big-grin-emoticon:

Thinking and praying for you guys while you sort it all out Kat!

I'm starting to understand the situation a little better. It might have been the Brunswick stew. The only place I found to get somewhat descent BWS is at Williamson Bros in Douglasville :)

Hope you never experience that drop again.

I personally like Fincher's and Tucker's bbq and Brunswick stew, here in Middle GA, we went to Fresh air bbq in Jackson, They might have been voted best in GA but to me they miss the mark on flavor, the Brunswick stew was watered down and flavorless, the sour cream pound cake was dry and tasted like it was a box cake...I had a small bite of that and almost spit it out. Rarely am I disappointed with food. Btw, I favor vinegar flavored BBQ over tomato sauce based BBQ.

Tricia,

Yep, need to keep snacks on bike or in pocket. AND try to eat 5 small meals a day with two of those being healthy snacks. Maybe try some dried fruit. Dried apricots and such come in small bite size portions that will allow you to only eat enough to raise BS back up. Just a thought...I lived with a Type 1 Fragile for 8 months and learned a lot...

Good luck...

david

I currently have doctors arguing over how I should eat in regards to my bg, my internist wants me to eat 5-6 tiny meals to better manage my bg, my bariatric doc wants me to now eat 4 small meals no fruit, and as soon as they hire a dietician I get dragged into the office for a consult. Alot of this can be blamed on not having a dietician when I had the surgery. I will get dried fruit and nuts to mix and take with me. Mike was planning on getting me a nice dehydrator to make some jerky and dried fruit snacks for bike trips. I have some camelpaks, so I think I'll be ok.

I dont know nuttin about nuttin but gotta ask, hasnt diabetic medicine gotten to the point that a person can carry a little digital monitor with them - prick thier finger and instantly know exactly where the blood sugar is at and adjust their intake of sugar accordingly? If so, Kat it might not be a bad idea to just carry one around and keep a close eye on your levels and what you eat until you can develop your own system.. Does that sound stupid you guys? If so just tell me and I will shut up :big-grin-emoticon:

Thinking and praying for you guys while you sort it all out Kat!

You would be correct, and my internist prescribed a freestyle lite to me, so I can check my bg 3times a day. I feel better now than at lunchtime, my predinner bg was 94, breakfast was 89 and lunch was 114. So not awful, btw breakfast was cottage cheese with 4 chunks of pineapple. I cut out all the sugar last summer when surgery was approved. Scary thing is I gave up coffee. I haven't really wanted it postop, been drinking coffee since I was 2 so coffee has been important in my life. I will get through this. Just a bump in the road of life.

I gave up coffee after the 1st operation on my leg. Blamed it on hospital coffee I tried to drink?? I tried again but I've lost my taste for it as operations piled up. Haven't had any for couple months. And I used to drink over a dozen cups a day.

I personally like Fincher's and Tucker's bbq and Brunswick stew, here in Middle GA, we went to Fresh air bbq in Jackson, They might have been voted best in GA but to me they miss the mark on flavor, the Brunswick stew was watered down and flavorless, the sour cream pound cake was dry and tasted like it was a box cake...I had a small bite of that and almost spit it out. Rarely am I disappointed with food. Btw, I favor vinegar flavored BBQ over tomato sauce based BBQ.

Testing out my new convertible last week on a pretty day, we drove down to Fresh Air BBQ in Jackson to get some ribs. Guess what, The voted best BBG joint in Georgia (according to AJC and the late Lewis Grizzard) don't sell ribs. All they have is pulled pork sandwiches, potato chips and (I agree) crappy Brunswick stew.

Now highly over rated, (even though it does have sawdust on the floor) it used to be the bomb when I was a kid and it was a mom and pop one location phenomenom. Now it has morphed into a franchise serving an (un)-exceptable level of mediocrity just like McDonald s.

A wee bit off topic, are we? We used to stop by Fresh Air BBQ back in the early 70's, on the way to some hunting property. Nothing like the good sandwiches and ice cold glass Coke bottles pulled out of the shaved ice cooler. I haven't eaten there in years, as I don't pass through that area any more.

Back on topic...I hope your medical challenge is controlled, the thought of dropping out is downright scary. Dan

We haven't met yet, but medical stuff is an adventure with me. I was born with mild hemipledgic cerebral palsy, but ask anyone here who has met me, I generally have a pedal to the metal attitude, more so after being diagnosed 2yrs ago with a valve failing in my heart. Last month I had gastric bypass, even 1month post op, I feel better and have more energy than I have had in years. I haven't lost a lot of weight post op, but I'm losing inches, I went from a size 38/30 to roughly a 34/30 since Feb 2. My problems with my blood sugar aren't uncommon for people on the preop diet or early postop. Considering I had very little discomfort with the surgery I can adjust to this. I did the extremely rare thing and walked 5miles the weekend I came home from the hospital. I have joined the gym run by the hospital and have been hitting the pool, thurs I meet my fitness trainer and start getting down to business.

Tricia, best of luck getting back in balance with your blood sugar. I went through that about 13 years ago. I was feeling fine (as normal for me anyway) and was kind of blind sided when the Docs told me I was Diabetic. Had no idea. Once they started me on the meds it all went crazy. Highs and lows and felt like crap and the once in a while "Fade to Black" routine. The meds seemed to me to be the main issue and had words several times with the Docs involved. I ended up getting frustrated and kind of frightened to even drive and ended to stopping all meds on my own. I took some pretty drastic steps with my diet, dropped a load of body weight, about 150 lbs, and started walking daily (a lot).

It's been 12 years now with a lighter diet and NO meds at all and my BG average is 92 just before meals. Not taking the Docs advice is never something I recommend but the meds were not working in my favor and I was desperate to get my life functional again. I had even taught my daughter, 10 years old at the time to drive the car so she could get me to help is things went South for me.

All in all its a frustrating situation to be dealing with. I wish you the best for getting on a track that works out for you.

Best of luck and take care.

Mike

Been dealing with diabetic wife(now ex-wife) and son, both type 1.. 25 years. Keep a juice box, or koolaid cooler (bag drink) with you. They are sealed and cheep. If you get low, push the tiny straw in the juice and squeeze it into the diabetics mouth. Lil at a time, you will join the living back in no time at all. Done this for years. Best of luck

Bill