IGNORED

Frame up build what would you change or upgrade?

Since I am on the topic of MKII forks, does anyone know the difference in the front axle between the MKI and MKII front ends? They have different part numbers and I assume that there is a different length if anything due to MKI having two pinch bolts with a nut and MKII having one pinch bolt with no nut on the axle end.

Not sure about the axle on the MKII forks, but the wheels are the same. When ever I was going to put a new tire on my 83, I swapped with my son's 86 by swapping rotors and everything worked fine. I do know that when I go to the MKII forks, I will not be able to use the rotor/caliper covers.

RandyA

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well after some time I have taken the advice of many and slowly this resurrection is finding it's way. I am hoping that even with this update maybe someone might recommend another upgrade that my build may benefit from. Yesterday I rebuilt the forks and confirmed my R1 gold dots fit quite nicely. Today I pulled the engine cases apart and upgraded to the second gen transmission, cleaned up and reassembled once backlash was set to spec. I will hopefully keep plugging away and try to get the engine back in the frame by next week. So basically the rear suspension has been restored as well as servicing the head stock and cleaning the frame. Some light body work (repairing broken ABS), wiring harness repair, second gen transmission, vmax final drive, and fork rebuild with brake upgrade. Delinking the brakes are strongly considered and a new stator is in hand. My paint scheme is ever changing with my options but it is still going to be synergy green for visibility possibly with a few body modifications. Not in order are a few pics to show before pics of when I first got it, cleaning of the frame and a pic of the engine case with the transmission removed. This bike was a lot worse than it looked either that or I expected too much of a 30 year old bike. Maybe some will note the venture line accessories this bike had as it was full of chrome that I have not eon others like the chrome bar grille. Oh well all of it has been removed but the grille will remain I think but blacked out for a newer look. I promised pics, and will provide more as progress is made, thanks to those who have assisted and or given support. Comments?

WP_20141209_002.jpg

WP_20150106_002.jpg

$_20 (1).JPG

$_20 (2).JPG

$_20.JPG

Thank you for the info as I really have no idea what these pieces are and the rarity if any of them. Maybe time to pass it forward once my project is complete? I have no interest in the chrome and the grille is the only piece I like as it is real metal and heavy so no concern of cracking it. When I first saw this bike it looked to me like it was loved at one time, but once home and under the plastic a history started to reveal itself, or so it is in my opinion. Looks like the bike was loved, then sat for some time and in my impression was pulled out, quickly freshened and the sold. It looks like someone tried to make a quick buck on it at one time by looking at their work. I took it in trade for some mechanical labour and you can see the rest. I had a chrome dress trim that I removed and gave to another rider as his bike was heavily laden with chrome but I had a few pieces he did not and that he did not know existed. Some of the chrome accessories show their age and are not worth looking at but those that I have left over will end up in another riders possession as a pay it forward. I believe in helping others as good karma and hope it comes back somewhere down the road. Getting back to the Jardines, let me ask, to your knowledge is there a major sound difference between these pipes and the stock units? My virago ( first project) has rotten pipes and I put ebay found Jardines and the sound difference was day and night.

Not sure about the axle on the MKII forks, but the wheels are the same. When ever I was going to put a new tire on my 83, I swapped with my son's 86 by swapping rotors and everything worked fine. I do know that when I go to the MKII forks, I will not be able to use the rotor/caliper covers.

RandyA

Why not use the covers ? I have the covers on my 89 ... It is a little bit of a hassle getting them on, but nothing outrageous. Helps to have a 2nd set of hands to help line them up and slide the axle in, but I have taken mine on and off several times by myself.

Why not use the covers ? I have the covers on my 89 ... It is a little bit of a hassle getting them on, but nothing outrageous. Helps to have a 2nd set of hands to help line them up and slide the axle in, but I have taken mine on and off several times by myself.

Were your covers off a 83/85 MKI that you used on your 89? If you did, you would have had to modify the spacing on the holes on the caliper covers.

RandyA

Were your covers off a 83/85 MKI that you used on your 89? If you did, you would have had to modify the spacing on the holes on the caliper covers.

RandyA

Yep the caliper covers and the rotor covers are markedly different from 83-85 and 86-93. Won't say the rotor covers won't interchange with some modifications, but fo' sure the caliper covers won't.

Well just came out of the garage for a little lunch. The motor is back in the frame and it is not that hard as some say to do it by yourself. I did learn that when converting to the vmax drive you require the vmax drive shaft also as the original venture shaft is roughly an inch too short to mesh correctly. My caliper mount for the rear brake upgrade is in at my US address but I am awaiting for my progressive springs to arrive as I found a set on ebay that I was able to get NOS new in package for $50 shipped. With my waiting for parts for final reassembly, I started to look at the bike today and am still debating to delink or run the original system and dry fitted a few parts and took note to try and decide my options. The blacking out is definitely what I will follow through as it make the bike look more suitable for a younger man as I am than most riders who own this bike. This is not meant as an insult or trying to be ignorant it is just that since I have acquired this bike I have had many tease me that I own an old mans bike and I want to make it a little more sporty and fresh looking to suit my age. The absence of chrome (sorry Carl) is not something most would do that I have seen but I feel it might show others that subtle changes can make this ride very appealing. Again with the body dry fitted and in primer the bike has a sportier look along with the chopped front fender (4") to show more wheel. The caliper covers and rotor covers that came on this bike will have to find a new home as I have no interest in covering up what I am trying so hard to tastefully expose. I am happy with this project and have been lucky to meet a few people face to face and hope that I can make friends in time with those I have met. I have been offered help even though I am very independent and I respect that as I feel anyone can talk and say they will do something but if there is no follow through they are not worth the time listening to. I have attempted to contact a member or two that have acquired upgrade assistance from the forum in the past and posted success and not had any response from them so I assume with them it is a one way street. But overall I still state this forum is a great asset and valuable resource. The information can be overwhelming if trying to tackle all at one time as I am learning. With the advice of a fellow forum member who came to see me and my project I am going to install the original mufflers and listen to them then the jardines and make my decision on which I prefer. I have my parts bike back in the shop for reference and stealing little pieces of it as the project bike goes back together. I do not think it is worth keeping after this project is done as most of my 85 will have been upgraded to other parts that the parts bike will not have. My budget is gone and there are only a few small pieces I require to complete this bike aside from patience and time. I will have spent and put more effort more than most would on an old bike like this but in the end I will have MY bike the way I want it and not someone else's old bike that might or might not require repair or upgrades. I will post pics at a later date when the bike is more complete for those who have interest.

All in time my friend, perhaps when it looks more like a bike. Rebuilt clutch and master today and am toying with the idea of a different taillight, time will tell how that goes along. Internet supplier messed up my order so my parts will be longer than expected so I will possibly go tomorrow to get my brake parts and start the hopefully final assembly of the rear. Having ink finished on Thursday so that will be a wasted day for the shop, time with wife on the weekend, so this means pics may not be available till early next week. I will update every so often. And yes new tires when the project is complete before any major riding and looking at the pirelli mt66 that treated me so well on my last project bike. Affordable, good traction, and wears well.

Thank you Bob, that is the same thing I say to others. Often it is harder to take your own advice rather than give it. If I get a chance to meet you this summer I am sure the pleasure will be all mine. Today the project had the rear wheel installed and the v-max drive fitted and filled with oil, the MKII rear brake mount and rear floating rotor installed with an R1 caliper. I have an alternative solution than that I have seen on here for the difference in the rear mount bushing and once completed will post my result. I have been thinking I might wait to delink so that when I do I really can honestly compare the braking characteristics to see which I prefer and if questioned about it be able to give an honest answer. Maybe tomorrow or Friday I hope to get the hydraulic brake system cleaned, serviced and back up and working. I might as well as accomplish something while waiting for my springs to arrive. On another note I have had an interest in my parts bike, someone I know is interested in it for a bobber project since it is pretty complete aside from plastic and has two sets of MKI forks, two sets of full MKI brakes, two used stators, two final drives, two sets of crash bars, two first gen tramsmissions, etc.... I think it is in my best interest to let it go as I really do not need much from it as most of the parts it has are upgraded on mine. I might keep the tci as a spare, spare class air pump, coils?, but can't think of much else worth saving. Any advice on what to keep? All my brakes are not MKI, my starter is a 4 brush, carbs are the best of the two bikes, my forks are MKII, my final drive is later model v-max, stereo is bits and parts of the two systems combined, hmmm....... what am I forgetting? I will have to take payments on it till it is paid but if I get a few bucks back I will invest the coin into my new tires I desire. Besides I still owe the previous owner a few bucks on the parts bike and I did receive a call from him tonight asking about come chrome accessories I removed from my bike that he may want. Time will tell as I will go see him tomorrow morning. Again anything I should keep for spare parts?

Edited by Brenner
forgot something in post

One thing we didn't talk about when I was there,, I meant to, but somebody took the conversation in a different direction and I totally forgot,,,, I would suggest that you upgrade the brake lines to stainless steel braided,,,, best bang for your buck as far as braking is concerned. If you had ridden it with the OEM lines and then the SS, you wouldn't believe it was the same braking system.

Carl, the suggestion of braided lines is one I am considering as a future upgrade. I prefer to make my decision on link or delink prior to the purchase of the lines due to cost. So I went and saw the former owner of my parts bike who is now becoming a friend. He asked me the benefit of a 4 brush starter as I had previously mentioned to him that I was doing mine as an upgrade. I mentioned the forum and the advice I have been receiving and the fellowship and recommended he join, time will tell if he chooses to do so or not. Anyways he has asked me to find one for him and to take it out of the coin I owe him so I will. He also was interested in the rotor and brake covers I had removed from my bike and I gave them to him so he has a spare set in the event one of his gets damaged. He has been decent with me so I am decent in return and maybe the starter and a small auto repair he needs will fulfill my debt? We will see as he has given me a part or two that seem a little rare and costly on ebay. I like being fair and working it out where both parties are happy with their trade where it cost each less than it would if they were to source it alone. Okay gotta fly my appointment is coming up and I am rarely if never late. Cheers..

• 3 weeks later...

Progressive springs wow what a difference. Today I picked up my new seals and decided to install my progressive springs. My manual stated to install tight end up and the progressive springs said to install tight end down so in the end I used the progressive instructions for the installation orientation and oil level instruction. Happy am I as the bike is now starting to feel sporty and not too soft. I think it is getting closer to my desired specs. I now have the itch to find a rear progressive shock spring. I have seen other on this site post pics of them but as of yet been unable to locate one. In other news a fellow member has responded to my wanted ad in the classifieds and it seems I may have a hitch that I have also been looking for, it is coming in on a trade as per the sellers request and I am more than pleased with that. I really am happy that I found and joined this forum. If my parts come in next week I hope to have the mechanical reassembled and the engine running which will give me more inspiration. The blacking out looks great and I am gonna have to get the camera out to take and post some pics. Sorry for the lameness of this post but I just had to express my enthusiasm and this is my only outlet as I really have no one at home who shares an interest. Okay on the hunt for the rear spring, orange if I remember correctly........

Too stiff arizona? The enclosed instructions stated that to adjust the ride either add or subtract spacer height in 1/2" intervals. I personally like a stiffer ride and road feel as a new rider would not trust myself on a soft bike or one that floats. Maybe it is the mechanic in me but it gives me peace of mind feeling my ride and possibly being able to "feel" a problem before it starts. Again I am new so my opinion might change with experience.

Yep...normally I would agree. BUT: My VStar 950 is a stock 2009 and she rides as good as the VR. That what was making me wonder if my shocks have been played around with by PO. The Venture handles nicely....loves taking corners at speed...but on a normal road the front end feels so tight ...I feel every teeny bump. A typical frost type heave is jarring even at low speeds.

Be nice to have someone else who rides a VR... ride my bike and compare rides...

BUT...didn't mean to hijack your thread! Sorry.

I've been reading and waiting for pictures as well. I was going to de-link, but now thinking of leaving the system in place and just replace the brake lines to SS. Linked brakes seem to be coming back on newer performance bikes....and I don't seem to have any issues using the "rear" brakes for slow riding....seems to work just fine.

david

Well yesterday I made a trip to the US and was able to pickup my gaskets I have been waiting for which ended up with me spending some time in the shop. Todays results are mixed as I had good news and bad news. Anyone reading might note I am trying to put this bike together on a budget and honestly I have made some choices on convenience rather than what might be "correct" meaning I have not bought everything new for this bike. Today one of those things bit me in the butt. After sealing up the engine with new gaskets I had an itch I just had to scratch so I filled the cooling system and crankcase. Result one small coolant seep over night that I was able to remedy within 1/2 hour, remember these machine are old and I am using used parts and even with new seals some components are distorted. At this point all seems good cold and my itch is so bad I decide to throw on the carbs and see how she sounds. After a few hard cranks and the beloved starter drive kicking she fires a little clearing of the throat and I let her warm up, she sounds nice and really does not like her choke but I need to get used to not having the long stroke v-twin sound. I start checking things over letting paint and fluids burn off and ensuring all is operating correctly. No coolant guage operation, no biggie I make sure the fan system is working the swap guages off another bike. It works so now I make a list, fix coolant guage. Happy am I, a little rough adjustment to the carbs and she sounds sweet and I am pleased and start wondering how well my new gear set will work. Up on the stand I go and put it through its gears, wow they work great and I start thinking I got away really easy with this bike aside from waiting for parts. I get down then I see it, OH NO, dang it an oil drip. Where and why now? Then I understood it. I ran it through it's gears and I bet dollars to doughnuts it is the seal with the clutch pushrod behind the clutch slave cylinder. Sure looks like that is the location and I did not notice the leak until the clutch was used. Well a call to my local dealer and I am supposed to have the seal by Wednesday. Well I guess it is tear down time as I honestly did not change that seal so it is all on me but on the glass half full though it does run well and I am closer to having it ready for April. I suppose if this is the worst of my problems I really have nothing to complain about and it is just a minor setback. A small video of its first running on a stand blacked out. Please do not mind the mess all around as it is madness. On another note you would not believe the comments I have received on my oversized crotch rocket when the bags are off.

• 2 months later...

Well, by now you should be well into getting that bike on the road.

I just found this thread and enjoyed reading it. I hope all is working out like you hoped.

Also, I really liked your closing quote "If everyone took responsibility for their own actions the world would be a better place".

Take care and ride safe,

Richard Bailey

(678) 227-4874

Well just came out of the garage for a little lunch. The motor is back in the frame and it is not that hard as some say to do it by yourself. I did learn that when converting to the vmax drive you require the vmax drive shaft also as the original venture shaft is roughly an inch too short to mesh correctly. My caliper mount for the rear brake upgrade is in at my US address but I am awaiting for my progressive springs to arrive as I found a set on ebay that I was able to get NOS new in package for $50 shipped. With my waiting for parts for final reassembly, I started to look at the bike today and am still debating to delink or run the original system and dry fitted a few parts and took note to try and decide my options. The blacking out is definitely what I will follow through as it make the bike look more suitable for a younger man as I am than most riders who own this bike. This is not meant as an insult or trying to be ignorant it is just that since I have acquired this bike I have had many tease me that I own an old mans bike and I want to make it a little more sporty and fresh looking to suit my age. The absence of chrome (sorry Carl) is not something most would do that I have seen but I feel it might show others that subtle changes can make this ride very appealing. Again with the body dry fitted and in primer the bike has a sportier look along with the chopped front fender (4") to show more wheel. The caliper covers and rotor covers that came on this bike will have to find a new home as I have no interest in covering up what I am trying so hard to tastefully expose. I am happy with this project and have been lucky to meet a few people face to face and hope that I can make friends in time with those I have met. I have been offered help even though I am very independent and I respect that as I feel anyone can talk and say they will do something but if there is no follow through they are not worth the time listening to. I have attempted to contact a member or two that have acquired upgrade assistance from the forum in the past and posted success and not had any response from them so I assume with them it is a one way street. But overall I still state this forum is a great asset and valuable resource. The information can be overwhelming if trying to tackle all at one time as I am learning. With the advice of a fellow forum member who came to see me and my project I am going to install the original mufflers and listen to them then the jardines and make my decision on which I prefer. I have my parts bike back in the shop for reference and stealing little pieces of it as the project bike goes back together. I do not think it is worth keeping after this project is done as most of my 85 will have been upgraded to other parts that the parts bike will not have. My budget is gone and there are only a few small pieces I require to complete this bike aside from patience and time. I will have spent and put more effort more than most would on an old bike like this but in the end I will have MY bike the way I want it and not someone else's old bike that might or might not require repair or upgrades. I will post pics at a later date when the bike is more complete for those who have interest.

Hey now you're not that young!!! I think I could point out the youngest guy on the site!

Well, by now you should be well into getting that bike on the road.

I just found this thread and enjoyed reading it. I hope all is working out like you hoped.

Also, I really liked your closing quote "If everyone took responsibility for their own actions the world would be a better place".

Take care and ride safe,

Richard Bailey

(678) 227-4874

Thank you, bike is assembled aside from some electrical add ons I have bought and plan to install. I had posted pics earlier under another thread but will include one here and now. I rode roughly 5 miles yesterday with no insurance on back streets in town and am learning the bike and it's noises and quirks. Today I was able to insure it and I went in my cage to see a friends 84 and listened to it to compare the sounds, how it starts etc... to mine. I ended up trading lower seats for an all black one that will match my bike better so I do not need to dye the one I had. It is coming together and am no way near as concerned about handling or it's weight as I was earlier now that I have learned what it feels like. My confidence is high and I am taking it in baby steps and gradually running it faster and faster as I learn to trust it with its noises and the way it feels. Once I am satisfied with it mechanically I will most likely repaint the parts I am not happy with and am in the process of finding a few more body parts as I want to paint another set in a different color so I can swap the panels and change the color of the bike when I feel like a change. Quite possibly it will always be a work in progress as I would like to make it as perfect as can be or atleast as perfect as I can for my needs.

WP_20150330_006.jpg

Love the colour. looks cool, you will be easy to remember when I am riding down in your neck of the woods and see you on the road.

Mike

Mike, if that is the case and I do end up with another set of body panels in a different color I will be sure to post pics so you will know them too. I promise it will be another color that will stand out. By the way maybe shoot me a line sometime if you are looking for someone to ride with. Once I am more familiar with this bike I plan on putting a few miles on her. More often than not I am through the Hamilton area.