IGNORED

Your Reaction - What would you do?

utadventure

I would like your opinions on this.

Our local riding group is having a 20th anniversary rally the first week in Aug. They have arranged for food and lodging at a Junior College and have set the registration at $199.00 per person ($398.00 for me and the wife). I asked what the cost would be without the lodging as we have a cabin nearby. The response I received was that the rally price is all inclusive and "the entire cost of the event is minimal, to the extreme, which permits just about anyone who can afford to ride a motorcycle, afford this event"

Maybe I should sell the bike?

:sick:

It's still early enough to petition the committee about having tickets that don't include lodging. Personally I wouldn't go if they didn't make an exception. What makes them think everybody wants to stay at a hotel that was chosen for them.

How many days of lodging and how many meals are included in this fee? Unless you know that you cannot determine whether or not the expense provides a fair and/or reasonable value.

Any inability on the part of the promoters to separate the lodging expense from the food expense would lead me to believe that they are being quite arbitrary about the total fee.

Terry

There will be 5 nights lodging and 4 2/3 days worth of meals. I personally estimate the lodging at about $10.00 per person per day. This would have me paying for $100.00 worth of lodging that I don't need. That equates to 25% of the total cost.

So, if I go at the full price, I'm spending $$ on lodging I don't need or I'm subsidizing the costs for the rest of the group.

Guess it all depends on how much you enjoy the group, and how much you want to go, life aint always fair:no-no-no: Wife and I go out to dinner alot, we dont drink, everyone else does, We always just split the bill even though I know ours isnt quite as much as theirs, do to drinks. But its a good group we enjoy ourselves and its alot easier than trying to figure out the bill. If you feel you are being taken advantage of, and that dont sit rite with you, dont go. Just my 2cents:080402gudl_prv: Craig

Guest KitCarson

I read your post.......thought about it a few minutes. I used to be president of a fairly large Bass Fishing Club in Lexington. I used to make the lodging arrangements for those three day out of town events. Sometimes I would be able to get a large cabin....or a group of cabins, for a set fee......did not matter how many participants there were......from two to twenty...the cost to reserve the place was the same. So I would try to estimate how many were going to show up....always one or two that do not make it, or one that does that did not figure they would........and I used to figure up the steaks....all the food for the maximum estimated amount of participants....and just come up with a figure for everyone to pay, and I used to just add ten bucks just in case per person. Maybe that is what the deal is....and I suppose if you came to me and told me you wanted to stay in your private place...it is a lot of work to go back......figure it all up again.......change the amount for each person......so generally a set figure just works for everyone involved......if a set amount per person is agreed upon.....to pay the total cost.......and you refund money to one or two persons....then that leaves the kitty lacking in funds to pay for the total amount due....so someone has to make that up......

Most likely that is what is going on....hope I explained it well enough to understand.

Go have a good time....just eat more:bighug:

My initial response is to agree with Saltydog..talk to them about a concession of some kind relative to lodging. That said, I also have to wonder if some of what Kit said isn't at work there. SO, after much thought, I think you should approach someone(s) to find out what the process was and then stump for a break if you stay at your cabin. If they don't want to make some kind of adjustment, you then have 2 choices! Don't go at all or stay at your place pay the money and go anyway. If I could work it out in my mind that the sum total of the activities and food (minus lodging) could be justified, even loosely, then I'd probably go stay wherever I wanted (maybe a couple of days at both), have fun and not think another thought about it!

I would like your opinions on this.

Our local riding group is having a 20th anniversary rally the first week in Aug. They have arranged for food and lodging at a Junior College and have set the registration at $199.00 per person ($398.00 for me and the wife). I asked what the cost would be without the lodging as we have a cabin nearby. The response I received was that the rally price is all inclusive and "the entire cost of the event is minimal, to the extreme, which permits just about anyone who can afford to ride a motorcycle, afford this event"

Maybe I should sell the bike?

:sick:

Me, I'd definetly PASS! 2 or 3 nights for $400 even with food is way out of my league. I sure wouldn't pay that much to hang out with Charlie, Eck or Squidley! :rotf: Maybe Don,:thumbsup: but that's about it. :whistling::biker:

Me, I'd definetly PASS! 2 or 3 nights for $400 even with food is way out of my league. I sure wouldn't pay that much to hang out with Charlie, Eck or Squidley! :rotf: Maybe Don,:thumbsup: but that's about it. :whistling::biker:

Roadkill call my wife please. someone needs to explain this to my wife.

the B&B we stayed in. $350.00 a night, (Four nights) plus food.

I do remember one place, we had dinner, with tip, its was $293.00

I'd be happy with a hambuger.

We stayed in the Fla Keys for a long weekend. The place was called Palmers. $1500.00 a night, We stayed 3 days.

Please help, I'd like to trade in My wife for a dumber model

If by chance they do not want to work with you on this. Don't go period.

Simple as that if they dont like it Oh well its your money not theirs. There's a lot of other places I can go for 400.00 .... Eureka Springs trip is a lot cheaper than that for sure.

Where do you get lodging for $10.00/night? Is it a cardboard box in an alley? Looks like a bargan to me. They probably got a block deal on the rooms and need to fill them. See if they will give a reduced rate after all the rooms are full.

What about me, you haven't even met me yet and already you say I ain't worth it, maybe I need to change my name:think::think:

It all depends on whether it's worht it for you, sometimes we have to help each other out, next time may be your turn.

I would talk to someone to see if you can save some money by staying at your place,and if not..then make a decision. I do think that some times you have to treat yourself,because you're worth it,and lifes too short not to enjoy. For some that might mean gettin in the car and goin to the local dairy queen,and for others, spending 1500.00$ a night somewhere. That being said,you've only got to please yourself and your wife,not others.What ever you decide, don't feel guilty about your decision.

PS:400.00$ would buy some nice chrome.!!!:080402gudl_prv::confused24:

Do I have this correct? 5 nights lodging and Food for the 2 of you for 400.00 with friends . I wish I could travel so cheap. I must be missing something here. You cant stay at a decent motel for less than 50.00. And unless you are eating kiddy meals. Sounds like someone did a lot of work to get those prices. Be thankful and have a good time nomatter which way you want to go.

Bill P

I think you need to ask yourself if you want to be around all these people for 5 nights. Staying at a college in the summer in the dorms can be inexpensive and the bull sessions at night could be fun and entertaining.They might be sharing photos from past trips or who knows what. It doesn't sound unreasonable for 5 night and 4 1/2 days worth of food to me. I guess it just depends on what you expect from the trip. Good Luck, Rick F.

Let me tell you a story...

A good friend of mine had a bike many years ago. The helmet law went into place and he decided to sell the bike, and let his class M license go because he refused to wear a helmet. He figured "I'll show them!"

Well, the helmet law only lasted a little while, and them got lifted. Around 15 years later he decided to get another bike. hehehehe,,, heres the kicker... He had to take the motorcycle test all ovr again and he was scared to death that he wouldnt pass...Good news is,, he passed, but with a great deal of stress on his part. All I can say is,, He sure showed them!

Dont let other people drive you to make an irashanall decision you will regret laters!

Do I have this correct? 5 nights lodging and Food for the 2 of you for 400.00 with friends . I wish I could travel so cheap. I must be missing something here. You cant stay at a decent motel for less than 50.00. And unless you are eating kiddy meals. Sounds like someone did a lot of work to get those prices. Be thankful and have a good time nomatter which way you want to go.

Bill P

Ditto:clap2:

Guest KitCarson

Well I suppose you all missed my point. If I am the organizer and I go out and obtain the lodging at a very good price for a group......and make up a food budget....assign several to go purchase the food......make a trip to the place of lodging first......check it out......see if a refrigerator is available....all that stuff......come back home and take my list of prospective participants.....split up the cost between them......add in a little for things I always forget......set the price and tell everyone...........take it or leave it........not being mean.....just saying.....the price will be what it is......it has been set.....money is being collected......some will pay ahead of time.....some at the site......some you have to ask them three times.........an occasional one will never pay........so some two to 4 weeks later if someone came to me and says.....hey Kit I have a place close to here.....I want to stay there and just come and have fun with you guys.....I would simply say....I understand your request...and maybe you wish to have privacy......and have a nice place......but the price for the event was agreed upon ahead of time......if I refund money now.......myself the organizer......has to make that up out of pocket.....maybe....I always do or did try to have an extra few dollars in the pot......if lucky and any left over.....it always went right back into the club fund.........that is what I was trying to say......I am not going to upset the apple cart some how ever many days later........refund everyones money and start all over......something like a college dorm can be available for a set fee.....the price is the same for one person or 50 and the floor filled with sleeping bags......so you just spit it up......and you buy food for the estimated group........and about the third day......go get stuff you forgot.........not much room in something like this for refunds.......this is a group thing.....organized by one person......this is not a hotel or motel in business for profit. Just a group out to have a private good time.......so your request although understood and taken under consideration......is denied, there is only x amount of funds........quite simply there is no money for refunds....as a matter of fact....it is usually very, very close.....and several times I did end up out of pocket several hundred dollars....This is why I no longer do this.......I got tired of it......you can make some of the people happy part of the time..but can never make all of them happy all of the time.........:rasberry:

What about me, you haven't even met me yet and already you say I ain't worth it, maybe I need to change my name:think::think:

It all depends on whether it's worht it for you, sometimes we have to help each other out, next time may be your turn.

Sorry Carl :confused24: We did meet though...........Last year at maintenance day:whistling: