IGNORED

Anybody want to post what they paid for their used bikes?

pbjman

In 2009 I purchased my 2007 RSV from the original owner in Maryland and road it back to Michigan. It had 9100 miles on it and I paid $11000 for it.

I know plenty of people have done this, travelling away to pick up a bike and ride it home. Sounds like a blast! Was that your first time on an RSV or first time on a big touring bike? Did you make a thread about your adventure?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seventeen months ago I flew to St Louis,MO to pickup my 2008 RSV. In showroom condition with 17000 miles, I paid $9000. We got to know each other on the 1200 mile ride home. It was my first time on a full size touring bike and a bit different than my Road Star. I've put another 15000 miles on it and look forward to many more.

I bought an 08 RSVS with 500 mi on it in 2011 for $8000.00. People bought it new as their first bike put 500 mi on it, scared them to death and they parked it until they were emotionally distant enough to let it go. Sold it cheap for a fast sale. Totaled it three months later and replaced it with a 1990 Goldwing Trike converted in 2006 with only 36000 mi for $6500. A friend of mine decided to give up riding at 89 because his wife couldn't ride with him anymore and he didn't want to ride alone. That bike now has 73000 mi on it.

About two years ago picked up this 87 Royale for $450 from a dealer. The PO had them "fix" and electrical problem and then they looked at the other things that need fixed and he just turned over the title. THe Carbs were off the bike in a box and one tore down. The plastic in several different places in the shop.

Cleaned carbs, set valves upgraded spring on the clutch, found electrical problem they had "fixed", progressive springs, fixed air ride system,repaired plastic and repainted about half the bike, new tires and fluids and it's great bike now. Here some before and after pic's.DSC08714.JPG DSC00883.JPG

Took half of the summer but, I found this 05 with 42k miles on it that the guy was willing to take an ATV as part trade. I still had to cough up another 3k so.. I figure I have 5k in it +/-. The clutch is soft and there are more scratches on it than I would have like to have seen but... Nobody was getting off of these bikes cheap. Anyway, I got it for the back seat.. plain and simple. My girl has an awesome round bubble of a backside and she needed that wide seat. Otherwise, I ride the Raider, XV1900 ( AKA Betty ):cool10: 05 venture4.jpg LA chopper bar.jpg

I paid $100 for this '83 Venture Royale. I wasn't expecting much, maybe a few parts, but after installing a starter and battery, it ran! I even rode it around the block a couple times to be sure 2nd gear was OK.

I now have the carbs off for cleaning, and have already serviced brakes. I estimate $1500 to restore to safe riding condition (including paint).

:fingers-crossed-emo

vr100_2.jpg

I bought my 87 royale in 98 with 8900 miles on it for 5000. it currently has 47k on it.. (pathetic, I know) I just purchased a galaxy blue 07 rsv with 29k on it last winter for 6800. we wont even talk about how many miles I put on that this year...

Tweeks was $750 just a few short years ago.. I noticed right away when I test rode her that she wasnt feeling the best - even though she had under 30k on her she was lathargic.. I told the PO it felt like at least one carb diaphram was kaput.. Rode her home from Mancelona Mi,, pulled diaphrams - 2 came out in pieces.. She perked right up after repair.. She now has well over 240k on her and set me back plenty in her thirst for stickers,,,,, and tires,,,,, and brake pads,,, and gas,,, but mostly stickers:crackup:...

GOOD THREAD!!20140609_105517.jpgDSCN5393.JPGDSCN5566.JPG

Tweeks was $750 just a few short years ago.. I noticed right away when I test rode her that she wasnt feeling the best - even though she had under 30k on her she was lathargic.. I told the PO it felt like at least one carb diaphram was kaput.. Rode her home from Mancelona Mi,, pulled diaphrams - 2 came out in pieces.. She perked right up after repair.. She now has well over 240k on her and set me back plenty in her thirst for stickers,,,,, and tires,,,,, and brake pads,,, and gas,,, but mostly stickers:crackup:...

GOOD THREAD!!

Hey I'm glad to see you posting! And I've been to mancelona too, I once rode my snowmobile up the abandoned ski hill ( Mount mancelona?)

I know plenty of people have done this, travelling away to pick up a bike and ride it home. Sounds like a blast! Was that your first time on an RSV or first time on a big touring bike? Did you make a thread about your adventure?

Yes first time on a "BIG" bike. 630 miles each way. Rode on the back of my brother inlaws Midnight Venture. We made a cute couple........:) Riding my scoot home, I realized I needed a back rest. That was the first mod I did. No pics, no thread/story. Actually, I was not a member of this site at the time. My bro inlaw was and that's how I found out about the bike.

• 1 month later...

I traded 3 separate 69 to 72 Honda CL350s in boxes for the 83 Standard back in February. Always been a Yamadude but thought I should try to broaden my horizons as I approach 60. Baaaaad idea. Honda parts are outrageous, way overpriced. When this guy on CL asked if I was interested in a trade I initially blew him off. We're getting ready for a long-distance move and I didn't need another bike, just cash. Plus I'd never had anything bigger than a 350.

After looking at some grainy pics he sent from his phone I decided to go take a look. It had been parked under a leaky shed for 5 years after the brakes seized, plus it had electrical problems - there was a car battery in the right saddle bag - and was generally a corroded mess. But it was in one piece and wasn't a Honda. And I was intrigued, never had anything that robust before.

So I traded my boxes of Hondas for an intact XVZ. I've put a bunch more money into it than I ever planned, more than it's worth. But I'm having a blast with it. And damn, it's fast. Runs better the more I ride it. I think I'll keep it.

Sold my 99 RSV in June. Just picked up an 06 RSTD Midnight (I think). 19K miles and the only tiny flaw is 1 scratch on the top of one of the saddlebags. It is so small that if the bike is dusty, you can't even see it. Also I am amazed that it is the original windshield. It looks brand new with no wear on it at all. New tires. Very well kept. K&N filters. Bought from original owner. Soft dust cover and a rain cover with it. I paid $4500.

DSCN5954 (800x600) (2).jpg

DSCN5953 (800x600).jpg

DSCN5955 (800x600).jpg