IGNORED

Which carb sync tool?

Broncoboy36081

I'd put my $35 plastic hose balancer against any on the market cause how accurate do you really need to be. (and I've checked it against $200 gages) How many of you have put a fuel ratio analyzer on their bikes. Almost no one. These bikes are so smooth vs a Vtwin, is that an issue you need to get it down to a knat's hair?

Ya, I should have kept my mouth shut. :whistling:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Vacuum-Carburetor-Synchronizer-carb-sync-Gauge-Yamaha-XS-XJ-1100-1200-/380901309371?pt=Motors_Automotive_Tools&hash=item58af7cbbbb

This is what I use and recommend. I feel these gauges are more accurate than the carb tune most people use here. Cost is about the same too.

Larry

That is exactly where I am Larry and what I use,, I really like that set - it has all the adapters and came in very handy when building inline 4 chops a number of years ago.. Have done a variety of bikes - just did a 79 Wing for a buddy.. For the price, very well made!

The most accurate and relied on by long experienced motorcycle mechanics/tuners is the mercury manometer type. There is simply no substitute for their sensitivity and accuracy.

-Pete, in Tacoma WA USA

Nothing steadier thats for sure.. I did own a "Twin Max" electronic balancer for while (got stolen) and it was amazing how accurate it was and was a joy to work with - talk about as close to perfect as possible.. The only problem was, you could only dial in two at a time - not a big deal on the Yam but other intake designs = not practical.. Not sure if TwinMax now offers a 4 cyl model now or not..:confused24:

I bought a Sync Pro off a member here. He had built the home made job with the clear tubing and ATF I think is what he used. I cleaned it up (the fluid init was about all dried up) and I use 2 stroke oil in it. works good for me.

The mercury jobs worked really well and were smooth, but due to the mercury in them you have to be careful when you rev the bike and also some states will not allow you to buy or ship the chemical to their states.

Will do. Just ordered the carbtune. Anybody know which carb is the master? Or does it matter with the carbtune. Is there any calibration process for them?

#2 would be considered the master. You will sync as follows:

First: Carb 1 to Carb 2

Next: Carb 3 to Carb 4

Last: Carb 4 to Carb 2

An easy way to remember is "Back carbs to front carbs, then right bank to left bank.

What can I expect realistically out of a carb sync as far as performance wise. I do have some vibration but mostly just at idle. Not like my old Harley vibration but enough I can see it in the antenna and trunk.

My Gen1 Mk2 idles so smooth you'd liken it to a sewing machine. Radio antenna absolutely still. When it no longer sounds like the sewing machine, it's time for another synch with my old 4 tube mercury manometer.

-Pete, in Tacoma WA USA

My Gen1 Mk2 idles so smooth you'd liken it to a sewing machine. Radio antenna absolutely still. When it no longer sounds like the sewing machine, it's time for another synch with my old 4 tube mercury manometer.

-Pete, in Tacoma WA USA

Well according to the previous owner he never ever synced them in 31k miles. So it would surprise me if they are even close.

#2 would be considered the master. You will sync as follows:

First: Carb 1 to Carb 2

Next: Carb 3 to Carb 4

Last: Carb 4 to Carb 2

An easy way to remember is "Back carbs to front carbs, then right bank to left bank.

Ok,, just going from memory here on my 1st Gens,, sitting on the bike, left rear is No. 1 and left front is No. 2, right rear is No. 3 and right front is No. 4..

No. 1 is master, No. 2 is set to No. 1, No. 3 is set to No. 2, No. 4 is set to No. 3

Never owned a 2nd Gen or worked on one,, are the carbs linked that much differently or am I having another oltimers attack here?

Ok,, just going from memory here on my 1st Gens,, sitting on the bike, left rear is No. 1 and left front is No. 2, right rear is No. 3 and right front is No. 4..

No. 1 is master, No. 2 is set to No. 1, No. 3 is set to No. 2, No. 4 is set to No. 3

Never owned a 2nd Gen or worked on one,, are the carbs linked that much differently or am I having another oltimers attack here?

From one old timer to another, you are indeed having an attack of geezeritus..... go sit and have a cold beer as Yammagirl is correct.....and she's prolly got the manual open in front of her.

-Pete, in Tacoma WA USA

From one old timer to another, you are indeed having an attack of geezeritus..... go sit and have a cold beer as Yammagirl is correct.....and she's prolly got the manual open in front of her.

-Pete, in Tacoma WA USA

Sucks gettin old :rotf:

Few more years of tweekin on Tweeks and I wont even to be able to put gas in it without a shop manual :rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf:

"You name the sea to where she flows. You name the wind from where she blows." ...

Back to front, right to left.

Simple quotes help me to recall.

YamaGrl, its people like you that keep people like me humbled and growing!! Your a keeper - keep up the good work!! :backinmyday:

Puc