IGNORED

Motorcycle Alarm and/or Caliper Lock ... What To Get

SilvrT

So, I'm considering some "security" measures for my scoot.

Read some info about the "Chatterbox" alarm ... seems ok but not exactly what I'm looking for.

Would like an alarm system that doesn't make sound but rather, either calls my phone or sends me a text. Is there such a thing?

What do you guys recommend?

Also, what about a Caliper lock? Recommendations puhleeze.

Thanks guyz :thumbsup2:

oh, the reason is we are moving and unfortunately (at least temporarily), I'll have to keep the scoot parked in the carport of the new place.

Thing about a caliper lock, sometimes people forget to take them off.

I put a 'docking station' with a switch on it so when I turned on the key and the lock was on the caliper, an alarm would sound telling me to take it off.

Or you could just put one of those annoying 5 ft long florescent ribbons on it.

Guest tx2sturgis

Also, what about a Caliper lock? Recommendations puhleeze.

oh, the reason is we are moving and unfortunately (at least temporarily), I'll have to keep the scoot parked in the carport of the new place.

Brake disc locks work well but you HAVE to have some kind of reminder to yourself that it's in use. If you forget, and you will, its not fun picking up your bike after you drop it while trying to ride off.

Some of them come with a little red flag you attach to the bike to remind you, in addition, I would always put the bike key in the opposite pocket to remind me. That helps.

Some of those come with a built-in alarm but the one I tried was picky about the install and removal delay...so if possible, check on that function.

As far as parking in a carport, why not use a nice heavy motorcycle chain or cable lock looped thru the front wheel and one of the carport uprights? They are usually covered with thick vinyl and include a really big-ass padlock. Capable of detering most amateur theives.

:happy34:

Brake disc locks work well but you HAVE to have some kind of reminder to yourself that it's in use. If you forget, and you will, its not fun picking up your bike after you drop it while trying to ride off.

And you know this how?????? :stickpoke:

Some of them come with a little red flag you attach to the bike to remind you, in addition, I would always put the bike key in the opposite pocket to remind me. That helps.

You have a memory issue there Brian ??? :stickpoke::stickpoke:

Some of those come with a built-in alarm but the one I tried was picky about the install and removal delay...so if possible, check on that function.

As far as parking in a carport, why not use a nice heavy motorcycle chain or cable lock looped thru the front wheel and one of the carport uprights? They are usually covered with thick vinyl and include a really big-ass padlock. Capable of detering most amateur theives.

:happy34:

[/b]

Yes, I've considered that option; however, when I'm at work, it would be good to know if someone is messing with my scoot.

I don't know what the Victory's have, but the RSV's have a double lock. One on the ignition, and the other on the side of the tree where you can put a pad lock. At 900lbs it'd be kinda difficult to move it with out some sort of crane....

That said, ever since they stole my tow behind I've been looking at tracking devices. Something that can be tracked on the net or smart phone. Haven't found anything that I can afford yet, but one of these days?? :mo money:

My insurance company put a tracking device on mine to supposedly give me a discount insurance rate if I am what they consider a good rider. It tracks where ive gone and where the bike is, ....but I got the device so I can pull up a webpage that lets me know where the bike is at all times. Its free and it works ok for what I want. ( the first 2 years of this trial the company has actually paid me to have it installed!)

Brian

My insurance company put a tracking device on mine to supposedly give me a discount insurance rate if I am what they consider a good rider. It tracks where ive gone and where the bike is, ....but I got the device so I can pull up a webpage that lets me know where the bike is at all times. Its free and it works ok for what I want. ( the first 2 years of this trial the company has actually paid me to have it installed!)

Brian

hmmmmmmm... I'll have to check into this with my ins co.

:thumbsup2:

My problem with the Insurance company "tracking device" is they can use it against you. you tell them you drive X amount in this car and when you are renewing the next year and they ask what you drive and how much they can look it up. same with the bike. Say you tell them you ride 6k a year. Then when you do 16K they want to jack your rates all up.

some of the devices plug into the newer cars on board port. It can give such info as speed, time of day, length of trips and driving tendencies. IE hard braking, jerking from one lane to the next and that sort of thing. all done off the ECM and BCM and gyros. ain't technology great?

My problem with the Insurance company "tracking device" is they can use it against you. you tell them you drive X amount in this car and when you are renewing the next year and they ask what you drive and how much they can look it up. same with the bike. Say you tell them you ride 6k a year. Then when you do 16K they want to jack your rates all up.

some of the devices plug into the newer cars on board port. It can give such info as speed, time of day, length of trips and driving tendencies. IE hard braking, jerking from one lane to the next and that sort of thing. all done off the ECM and BCM and gyros. ain't technology great?

I am still in a test and they are using me as a guineau pig, but hey what the heck I get some cash out of the insurance companies for a change. And yes it does track sudden stops and starts and even hard cornering, ive found it a good tool to be able to needle the insurance company with their opinions of what too much acceleration and cornering is. They don't appear to have any biking ppl on staff which is why about a hundred of us in the province are on this trial (supposedly the first time its ever been tried on motorcycles) NO need to worry about it becoming commonplace too quickly there are some huge bugs, at one point it had me going 100kmh in front of the police station in town, a street I don't recall ever having been on for a couple of years. Another time it had me as an extreme overspeed thru the south end of the province but the highways dept had the speed limit mapped wrong so I shouldn't have gotten the flags on the mapping.)

If it ever becomes available mainstream where it affects my rates I will be out of it pronto!, its too invasive for my tastes. If anyone wants too have a look at my webpages for the device send a msg and ill send you the info to login.

I use mine occasionally and when I do, I use 1 reminder and one 1 technique.

Reminder: I use a "Remove before Flight" flag hooked to a key that fits the ignition but won't start the bike.

Technique: Put the disc lock close to the fork in the opposite direction you will move. IE: If you will pull out forward, put it close behind the fork and if you will back out, put it close in front of the fork. Either way you can only move a few inches before it will stop you instead of 7/8ths of a wheel's diameter and you probably won't drop it.

I wonder why you would want one?

Currently we live in a rented house which has a garage. I keep the scoot in the garage. We bought a place and it only has a carport. Where we live now is a very low crime rate ... it's the opposite where we are moving to. Just needing to protect my stuff and have a bit of peace of mind.

nobody has ever messed with it other than to tell me how good it looks.

you call that "messing with it"? :stickpoke: :stickpoke:

Just remembered... Back in ancient times :backinmyday: I had a switch installed in the ignition wiring between the seat and the tank of my Ariel Square Four. No one knew it was there. That was back in the days when a screw driver could substitute for an ignition key on most UK bikes. Plus you could always chain the bike to a carport post on the new house....?? Or build a garage....

I kind of chuckle when I see the "chain it up" idea. Here is why. I was in Homestead Miami for the NASCAR race a couple years back. We were at a smaller Comfort Inn I think it was. so the overhang by front desk has these 4 poles. This group of 4 or so guys come in, check in and go to dinner. when we came back from dinner these guys were by the pool having a cold drink and I noticed this one nice Street Glide with a huge ol log chain around the bike (I think thru the wheel) and around this corroded aluminum pole that if you kicked it would probably give way. so the moral of the story is, look at the weakest link in your security.

I have a Krypronite lock. And one of these handy jobs. So far I have not jumped on the scoot and forgot I had the lock on it. but I had a system. I would come out from the airport terminal. uncover the bike, pack cover, unlock bike disc, load suitcase then gear up.

I also have and use the Kryptonite disc lock and it's thick ass cable to wrap it around things. Never an issue remembering, the lock is bright yellow.

One of these might help.

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTYwMFgxMjgz/z/UHwAAMXQDfdRvnuI/$T2eC16R,!)sE9swmZopbBRvnuH2QD!~~60_3.JPG

One guy tells me a few months ago at a gas station he hangs an empty pistol holster on the mirror when he goes places. Not sure if it works well as a deterrent:confused24:

I don't know what the Victory's have, but the RSV's have a double lock. One on the ignition, and the other on the side of the tree where you can put a pad lock. At 900lbs it'd be kinda difficult to move it with out some sort of crane....

That said, ever since they stole my tow behind I've been looking at tracking devices. Something that can be tracked on the net or smart phone. Haven't found anything that I can afford yet, but one of these days?? :mo money:

https://www.kryptonitelock.com/RealTimeGPS/Pages/Motorcycle.aspx

Never mind...read the fine print....guess you end up paying for each ping to find the scoot. Not real time.

Guest tx2sturgis
And you know this how?????? :stickpoke:

You have a memory issue there Brian ??? :stickpoke::stickpoke:

I've dropped mine and seen others drop theirs when the disk lock was forgotten about. (this was on a nice Harley DynaGlide)

Only those who have used them know how easy it is to forget its in use.

I protect mine with 9mm when in sight... insurance when not. Both alarms and caliper locks seem to me to be an annoyance to deal with. I just make sure I have adequate accessory insurance cover and not stress over it. My thoughts on both...

Alarms - How many times have you heard car alarms go off and just keep walking because we hear so many false alarms?

Caliper lock - First. PITA, second... I know sooner or later I would forget it and pull off with it attached.

Some years ago during MB Bike Week, bad guys were getting bikes by driving around with a mattress towed behind a truck. They would pull up to a locked bike, tip it over on mattress, then drive away a few blocks where they could take their time to cut locks etc. Point is... if they want it.. they'll get it. Have insurance.