IGNORED

What do y'all think about this trailer?

uncledj

I'm kinda half looking for a trailer that can hold 4 heavy bikes, so that I have a way to load up my motorhome with friends and bikes and head out to areas / events (Sturgis?) or the like.

I came across this one, which is a converted boat trailer. The price is certainly right, and it's big enough, but what I'm worried about is that the axles are so far rearward, and it sits so low that I'll have problems turning into tight spots, and that, with the motorhome hitch 12' or so behind the axle, ...I'll have problems bottoming out going over humps / dips.

Am I being too critical?:confused24:

http://columbus.craigslist.org/for/4601774471.html

Edited by uncledj
forgot the link

Guest tx2sturgis

You would only have to move the rear axle to a point directly ahead of the front axle...this should balance it for motorcycles. Blocks can added to raise the trailer if need be.

Looks a good deal for the $1300 they are asking.

:happy34:

I hate to be the one to through a wet blanket on this but I think you should leave this one alone and look for something else.

Several problems that I see

If you are planning on hauling 4 heavy bikes then the total weight will be higher than you think

With just the bikes and no additional gear the payload weight will exceed 6,000 lbs and could easy exceed 10,000 lbs. plus the weight of the trailer it's self you could have a gross weight in the 12,000lbs range.

There is no information on the axle rating. This is a converted boat trailer. Most boat trailers only come with 3,000 to 3,500 lbs axles. With 2 axles together that only gives you 7,000lbs gross weight far less than what you need to safely handle the load you plan on hauling.

The trailer only has brakes on 1 axle while some states only require brakes on 1 axle for light trailers Other states like PA. require brakes on all axles on any trailer over 3,000lbs, with good reason when you get into the hills and mountains you will need the additional braking capacity. You will want all the braking capacity you can get when you have to a panic stop.

The weight distribution on this trailer is all wrong it looks like you have about 80% of the weight on the hitch and 20% on the wheels. Standard distribution trailers are 30% on the hitch 70% on the wheels some go even higher on the wheels. This trailer configuration will make the trailer unstable on the road and put a lot of extra weight on the towing vehicle hitch.

Another thing to consider I have looked at a lot of motor homes over the last few years and I have not found one that the towing hitch receiver is rated over 5,000lbs gross weight again far less than you need to tow 4 big bikes. These hitches are designed to tow a small car with a weight of about 2,000lbs

I know that we all see motor homes towing large trailers all the time but what happens when there is a problem. I thin the last thing you want to see in you rearview mirror going down the road with $80,000 worth of bikes on a trailer is to hit a bump and see the trailer come apart because it over loaded. Or worse to do a panic stop and the trailer jack knifes and comes around and hits the side of you $120,000 motor home maybe totaling both or killing somebody. It's not worth it get the right trailer with the right hitch and the right tow vehicle and everybody will be safer. We all share the road and I may be the one beside you when you lose control of the trailer.

Here's what can happen with even a slight mistake towing from what i understand he was only doing about 40 on a slight grade dry road.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/fkey5jyr49zkkom/AAAYgPZEgRmp58tQhWj-d7Eaa

I wish you well and hope everybody stays safe on the road

If he still has it this weekend, I'll think I'll take a look to see how heavy the axles / springs are and how difficult it'd be to move them forward.

As far as the weight, I come up with more like 3200lbs for 4 bikes, and I don't know that the trailer itself will weigh enough to surpass the 5,000.b hitch limit.

Some great advice all around, but what I think it' comes down to is that I need to take the 1 1/2 hr drive to take a closer look at the dirty side.

I don't think I'd want to use it as it sits.

At 6 ft wide, I do not think you would have enough "width" to load two "heavy" bikes side by side, safely, without causing damage to them.

At 22ft in length, you surely cant load each "heavy" bike in a single row..3 heavy bikes in a straight line would need 25ft leaving little between them end to end.

Now on a "staggered" - "zig-zag" loading attempt, you might have enough room for all four heavy bikes.

At 6 ft wide, I do not think you would have enough "width" to load two "heavy" bikes side by side, safely, without causing damage to them.

At 22ft in length, you surely cant load each "heavy" bike in a single row..3 heavy bikes in a straight line would need 25ft leaving little between them end to end.

Now on a "staggered" - "zig-zag" loading attempt, you might have enough room for all four heavy bikes.

:sign yeah that: That's my thinking also. On my 6x10 the RSV fits comfortably but not a lot of room to spare.... The weight would be OK as boat trailers usually have 3500# axles.

Edited by Condor

I am not a fan of repurposed trailers so personally I would pass.

:sign yeah that::sign yeah that:

You are betting the value of 4 bikes and the structural design abilities and craftsmanship of the guy that built it. Whith all of the work and money he put into this trailer very recently he may have realized the first time he used it that the geometry is all wrong with the wheels way to far back. That may be part of why it is cheap.

As a test, mark off an area in your driveway that is 6 feet x 22 feet and see if you can simulate getting 4 bikes on without ever anyones foot touching down outside the lines and only entering the box from the small end. I think you are going to have a hard time fitting 4 big bikes in that space. Once you do get the bikes into that space, then consider where the tie down straps will have to go and is there still room to do that.

You will also need new longer smoother ramps to drive the bikes up and not hi-center at the edge of the trailer.

Just doing some quick looking at R&P Carriages.

A 7 x 18 trailer with two 3500 lb axles in basic form is about $1800 new. And it is designed for the weight and built by someone that builds trailers for a living, with warranty, title and all of the other good stuff. Lots of options that you can add to it $$.

Just a thought

At 7 foot wide I think you could get 2 big touring bikes side by side, and then the 18 foot length would be plenty.

Just a thought.

Take a pass on that trailer.

I have a 18'x101" v-nosed open aluminum snowmobile trailer setup for bikes, it will haul 2 large touring bikes and the trike or 4 touring bikes without crowding. Only drawback to this setup is the 24" deck height, it needs a 10' arc'ed ramp for breakover angle clearance.

Thanks for all the great advice / opinions.

I think I'll pass on this trailer.

I checked out the link FlyinFool sent, and it'd make sense to pay a couple of extra bucks and get a new one. The 7x18 looks great, but I'd like to see if they can do a 7x20. 9' per bike should do it, but without much wiggle room....10 per bike would be even better.

As far as the width, I recently trailered my first gen and my second gen side by side on a trailer 6'2" x 10'. It may have been a little tight, but it was very do-able. 7' width would be even nicer.

It's not something I need right now anyway, ...so maybe in the Spring. If anyone has one for sale in the meantime, lemme know.

Glad I didn't pull the trigger on it without first asking the opinions of the most knowledgeable people on the planet. lol

Thanks again:cool10:

I checked out the link FlyinFool sent, and it'd make sense to pay a couple of extra bucks and get a new one. The 7x18 looks great, but I'd like to see if they can do a 7x20. 9' per bike should do it, but without much wiggle room....10 per bike would be even better.

As far as the width, I recently trailered my first gen and my second gen side by side on a trailer 6'2" x 10'. It may have been a little tight, but it was very do-able. 7' width would be even nicer.

It's not something I need right now anyway, ...so maybe in the Spring. If anyone has one for sale in the meantime, lemme know.

Glad I didn't pull the trigger on it without first asking the opinions of the most knowledgeable people on the planet. lol

NOW YOUR TALKIN!! :cool10:

Judging from the website, they can make wider and/or longer. Give them a call.

Since you have time, you may be able to find a slightly used flat bed trailer.

I am not sure how wide a 2nd gen is, but my 1st gen is 39 inches at the widest point.