IGNORED

My new 89 Venture Royale

camos

I retrieved this little beauty from Washington last weekend.

OK, so it's not that little but it's still a beauty, to me at least.

Has 25,000 miles

vbpgimage.php?do=full&p=7739&d=1408850794

vbpgimage.php?do=full&p=7740&d=1408850818

vbpgimage.php?do=full&p=7744&d=1408850875

Unfortunately, there are some warts.

vbpgimage.php?do=full&p=7743&d=1408850866

In order to get it registered as a collector I'm going to need a new trunk reflector. There are four holes hidden under a sticker on the lid so a possible repaint of both the lid and the bottom bucket.

Didn't notice the holes under the sticker :crying:

I know, suck it up, the rest of it is gorgeous.

A big, big thanks to peder_y2k for helping me get the rear brakes working for the ride home.

For those holes under the lid, go to your local auto parts store and buy some plastic plugs that will fit in the holes, not so ugly as the sticker and much easier on the pocketbook that a repaint. I did than on my top box and dont mind the look of a couple of black plugs there.

I retrieved this little beauty from Washington last weekend.

OK, so it's not that little but it's still a beauty, to me at least.

Has 25,000 miles

vbpgimage.php?do=full&p=7739&d=1408850794

vbpgimage.php?do=full&p=7740&d=1408850818

vbpgimage.php?do=full&p=7744&d=1408850875

Unfortunately, there are some warts.

vbpgimage.php?do=full&p=7743&d=1408850866

In order to get it registered as a collector I'm going to need a new trunk reflector. There are four holes hidden under a sticker on the lid so a possible repaint of both the lid and the bottom bucket.

Didn't notice the holes under the sticker :crying:

I know, suck it up, the rest of it is gorgeous.

A big, big thanks to peder_y2k for helping me get the rear brakes working for the ride home.

Very nice find, and its even the bestest, fastest color too.

Why do you need a new reflector to get it registered? I know every state is different, but in WI collector plate rules state that the vehicle must be predominately stock. Here they do not quibble over additional lighting since that is adding safety.

As for the holes in the trunk, can you find out what was mounted there? Maybe it was a good idea.

For those holes under the lid, go to your local auto parts store and buy some plastic plugs that will fit in the holes, not so ugly as the sticker and much easier on the pocketbook that a repaint. I did than on my top box and dont mind the look of a couple of black plugs there.

Plugs would certainly be the easiest solution to fill the holes but if I go that route I will most likely fill them with some ABS. You remember the discussion about using ABS and MEK to create liquid ABS to repair the plastic parts? ColorRite has a pen kit with all the necessities except for base coat to make minor paint repairs.

Very nice find, and its even the bestest, fastest color too.

Why do you need a new reflector to get it registered? I know every state is different, but in WI collector plate rules state that the vehicle must be predominately stock. Here they do not quibble over additional lighting since that is adding safety.

As for the holes in the trunk, can you find out what was mounted there? Maybe it was a good idea.

After reading the collector application rules it appears to me that they want the vehicle to be in almost showroom condition. Totally stock except for era specific optional accessories, no dents, no primer, no rust, no holes and more. They do allow braided brake and clutch lines but not for electrical wiring.

There are two holes for each of the four trailer lights. Only two of the lights are mounted on the reflector. Haven't pulled them off yet to see how badly the reflector was damaged when the holes were drilled. The two amber lights are mounted to the sides of the trunk so four holes to fill there. I have the aftermarket trunk light bar on the 90 that I could use to replace the 89 reflector, assuming that accessory is acceptable, which I think it should be.

Anyone on here got access to a 3D printer?

Beautiful bike! It looks almost identical to mine.
Thanks but it's not nearly as nice looking as yours is with the extra bling. I think the saddlebag and trunk racks add a lot to the way the bike looks. That said, everything on my 89 looks good and works good except for the holes in the trunk and rear reflector. The trunk bottom from my 90 just happens to be the same Graceful Maroon colour as the darker maroon on the 89 so it will be a suitable replacement for the damaged original. Without a side by side comparison it is unlikely anyone will notice the substitution.

Thanks for all your good wishes and for the helpful ideas on how to fix the unhappy trunk on my "new" 89 VR. It may be a bit of a trial to switch the clean and bright trim pieces, hinges and latches from the 89 trunk bottom to the 90 trunk bottom then install it onto the 89 but I've decided that is probably the best route to take. Just have to take it easy see how it goes.

I would go and talk to the inspector before doing a lot of work "fixing" little things. My guess is that they are trying to avoid people getting collector plates on obvious junk or heavily modified custom jobs just for the lower plate cost. I doubt that the inspector is that intimately knowledgeable about every possible accessory on every possible vehicle.

There is always the chance that the inspector will let everything fly as is. Then you can fix what you want to fix as you have time to mess with it.

Also check into driving requirements with collector plates. Some states have severe limits on how much you can drive a collector. In Wisconsin the only driving requirement is that you can not drive a collector plated vehicle during the month of January. And that is not a big deal in Wisconsin winters. In other states you can only drive a collector to and from a rally or show.

I find that very odd that it has to be in mint OEM condition before you can register it as a collectable. Requiring a bike to be older?? Yes... What happens when a Harley collector brings in a 1908 rust bucket?? They have a collector plate, here in CA ,but when registered can only be riden to and from 'Events'. Swaps, shows, parades, etc. I thought it would be neat to have plates for my '83VR but decided against it because of the restrictions...

Thanks but it's not nearly as nice looking as yours is with the extra bling. I think the saddlebag and trunk racks add a lot to the way the bike looks. That said, everything on my 89 looks good and works good except for the holes in the trunk and rear reflector. The trunk bottom from my 90 just happens to be the same Graceful Maroon colour as the darker maroon on the 89 so it will be a suitable replacement for the damaged original. Without a side by side comparison it is unlikely anyone will notice the substitution.

I think mine should go to a collector because I'm probably going to drop it and mess it up. I'm not a collector. I use and abuse everything I buy.

I find that very odd that it has to be in mint OEM condition before you can register it as a collectable. Requiring a bike to be older?? Yes... What happens when a Harley collector brings in a 1908 rust bucket?? They have a collector plate, here in CA ,but when registered can only be riden to and from 'Events'. Swaps, shows, parades, etc. I thought it would be neat to have plates for my '83VR but decided against it because of the restrictions...
For a collector plate, I don't think it has to be "mint" but it does have to be OEM as originally sold with no primer, dents or body rust which may not apply so much to guards or bumpers. There are some qualifications that allow for era specific aftermarket accessories but I'm not up on all the details. Collector vehicles can only be driven for pleasure so no driving to or part way to work or school.

In BC we also have a vintage plate and that one only allows the vehicle to be driven to shows or events. I can't remember what the requirements are for these vehicles.

I would go and talk to the inspector before doing a lot of work "fixing" little things. My guess is that they are trying to avoid people getting collector plates on obvious junk or heavily modified custom jobs just for the lower plate cost. I doubt that the inspector is that intimately knowledgeable about every possible accessory on every possible vehicle.

There is always the chance that the inspector will let everything fly as is. Then you can fix what you want to fix as you have time to mess with it.

Good idea although so far I have not found any public contact numbers for their inspection service. For the time being I'm going to have to ride the 89 to work because the 90 is having fan issues and there is no dash light. Everything else seems to be working OK so it might be two separate issues or a related issue like a bad ground. The Virago needs a new clutch and a new exhaust. Until I get at least one of my "spare" bikes roadworthy I can't proceed with obtaining collector status for the 89.

How does life get so complicated? :250:

I think mine should go to a collector because I'm probably going to drop it and mess it up. I'm not a collector. I use and abuse everything I buy.
I'm not a collector in the pure sense either but that said, I now have three bikes so that would make me some kind of collector. I tend to get good used vehicles and then drive them until they are nearly worn out. Don't abuse them but don't baby them either.

I know what you mean about dropping the Venture. After riding the 90 for 3 or four months I was get fairly proficient at handling it but one day came to a perfect stop in a flat parking lot stall and went to put the kickstand down. Must have tilted it too far to the right cause it overbalanced and started to tip over. I could not get it back up to a stable position no matter how hard I tried. All I could do was gently lower it down until the mirror was resting on the truck beside me. I was stuck there. Could not get it up, could not let go of it to get out. Finally some bystanders noticed my plight and came to the rescue. No damage to the truck, not even a mark in the paint, but the right mirror pivot point had been stretched to the point it would not stay in position. Fortunately that is the only "crash" I have had.