IGNORED

Reflector lights

I want to install lights in the rear reflectors on an 87 without opening the reflectors. Thinking of drilling holes from the back and inserting bulbs. Before I order the bulbs, just wondering if anyone has done this or why it won't work. Also, would red or white lights be better. Thanks.

I've never heard of drilling through for light bulbs either. I'm pretty sure there is a description in the tech library for installing an LED strip in the reflector which can apparently be separated relatively easily using a heat gun to soften the glue. I hope so anyway since one of the turn signal lights in my aftermarket reflector bar is burnt out so it needs to be taken apart to replace it. Stupid way to build a light bar.

What Freebird said about using the same colour light as the plastic.

JC Whitney had a kit to do this to the rear reflector, I did it to my 89. Today I think LED's would be a better choice. If you can find some red led's, then look for a grommet to fit snug around the bulb. Drill the holes with a collar or bit stop, slip the gromet in and slide the bulb in. A dab of silicone may help secure them.

The replacement LEDs on ebay are a near perfect fit. You just have to file the edge a little bit to fit into the pocket on the side bags and side covers on the engine. They can be wired so the running light (blue wire) is on with your running lights and the red wire is for the blinker OR you can run them in the bright (blinker mode) all the time by not using the blue wire. It Makes sense to me to use the red LED on the bag as a running/blinker light and the engine guard (amber) as a running/marker light.

Insert this description at Ebay "2x Orange 12V LED Rectangle Reflector Tail Brake Stop Trunk Light Lamp" To get a listing for the red LED change the color to "red".

I have had 2 of these LEDs in AMBER fail, the vendor replaced both...they cried about the expense. I responded with advice to return them to their supplier and in the future make sure (check the product) prior to shipping or live with the fact that they will have some defects....they sent a replacement....free of charge.

Thanks to all for the advice. I have read conflicting information regarding the best way to open up the rear reflectors. I think it depends on whether the reflectors are original or the replacement containing lights whether to use a heat gun or to use a blade. Someone used a small screwdriver and said it took several hours.

Trying not to risk breaking the reflectors especially after checking the prices on ebay to replace them. I have also read the reflector on the trunk is very fragile.

I'm also having trouble locating led bulbs that are short enough, including the base, to insert after drilling a hole. I thought I found what I needed on a boat site but realized the overall length is 1.2".

JC Whitney had a kit to do this to the rear reflector, I did it to my 89. Today I think LED's would be a better choice. If you can find some red led's, then look for a grommet to fit snug around the bulb. Drill the holes with a collar or bit stop, slip the gromet in and slide the bulb in. A dab of silicone may help secure them.

This is what I used to convert both large reflectors to lights. No bulbs involved. I completed this mod over three years ago and both reflectors light up quite bright. I wired them to act only as brake lights but could easily convert if I wanted.

OPT7 300 LED Strip 16ft 5M 3528 SMD Waterproof Flexible Bright Light 12v RED

herb

Yeah, that was my original idea only with multiple lights. Currently, working on opening the lower reflector but it's already cracked and afraid of making it worse. So, thinking about using the indent behind the reflector to drill holes and install bulbs for the brake light. Thanks.

This is what I used to convert both large reflectors to lights. No bulbs involved. I completed this mod over three years ago and both reflectors light up quite bright. I wired them to act only as brake lights but could easily convert if I wanted.

OPT7 300 LED Strip 16ft 5M 3528 SMD Waterproof Flexible Bright Light 12v RED

herb

Thanks. Which method did you use to open the reflectors? Then, how did you seal them afterwards?

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk195/dna9656/IMG_0336.jpg

Pictures!!! We need pictures! :)

Pic of what, the finished product or pics of the modification process?

Are we talking about the reflector on the trunk or the ones on the side bags, engine side panels and behind the side bags?

These are the ones I'm talking about...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&vxp=mtr&item=121388435326

I realize they are from China, (what ain't?) but these are available from this and other vendors on ebay in Red and amber. Some vendors say they are orange...they are amber....

EDITED; added to.

Edited by dna9656

Ordered a roll of LED's today. Decided to go with the 5050 with 60 lights per meter.

Thinking about installing 3 rows of lights and using the center row for tail lights and the top and bottom rows for brake lights in both reflectors.

Or, should I use the lower reflector for the tail light and the upper (trunk) reflector for the brake lights?

I read Jeff's (Flyingfool) description about a controller and dimmer and that is way beyond me. So, I'm trying to keep it simple. Anyone have any advice?

On the old kit they had about a dozen 12v bulbs with pigtails, rubber grommets and a drill bit with a stop. They were about 1/4" or smaller, you removed the reflector, drilled the back carefully, put the grommet in and slid the bulb in, wired into running lights and put back on. Never had an issue with them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ordered a roll of LED's today. Decided to go with the 5050 with 60 lights per meter.

Thinking about installing 3 rows of lights and using the center row for tail lights and the top and bottom rows for brake lights in both reflectors.

Or, should I use the lower reflector for the tail light and the upper (trunk) reflector for the brake lights?

I read Jeff's (Flyingfool) description about a controller and dimmer and that is way beyond me. So, I'm trying to keep it simple. Anyone have any advice?

The controller and dimmer are only needed if you want to get real fancy like I did with having combined running lights, brake lights, and turn signals all built into the trunk reflector.

If all you are after is just running lights, or just brake lights, then you do not need any of that extra controller stuff.

If you just want running and brake light from the same LEDs, then you just need a very simple 2 diodes and 1 resistor.

What you are suggesting with the 3 rows of LEDS would work well, but I would still add a resistor to the row used for running lights so that there is a difference in brightness between brake and running.

Some people have mentioned that their reflector was held on with hot melt glue that could be softened with a heat gun. Mine was not assembled that way, It may vary by year.

Thanks Jeff.

Can you describe how the trunk reflector is constructed? In Picture 2 it looks like the ends of the red part of the reflector are separate from the main piece but the black base is all one piece. Is that correct?

You explained how to remove the reflector from the trunk and how to separate the two halves. I know some have said heat helped so I may try it.

Now that almost 5 years have passed, have you had any problems and would you have done anything differently? Did you do the lower reflector also? That's where I'm starting as it's easier to get to so I can learn doing it.

You suggested using a resistor for the running lights. Can you elaborate? where does it go?

Thanks Jeff.

Can you describe how the trunk reflector is constructed? In Picture 2 it looks like the ends of the red part of the reflector are separate from the main piece but the black base is all one piece. Is that correct?

That is correct

You explained how to remove the reflector from the trunk and how to separate the two halves. I know some have said heat helped so I may try it.

Heat did not help me at all.

Now that almost 5 years have passed, have you had any problems and would you have done anything differently? Did you do the lower reflector also? That's where I'm starting as it's easier to get to so I can learn doing it.

The only problem I had was using hot melt glue to put the red lens back on once completed. First time it got below freezing the lens disappeared on the highway and I had to buy a new one. I ended up putting the new one on with clear RTV / Sealant.

I have not got around to doing the lower reflector yet. But I plan to make that one just running lights.

You suggested using a resistor for the running lights. Can you elaborate? where does it go?

The resistor you will want is a 220 to 330 Ohm 1/2W or bigger, from Radio Shack, get both, they are cheap to see which gives you the best contrast with your lights. The resistor goes in the positive wire to the LED, there is no polarity on resistors.